Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 August 2012 - 17:44

Thanx warwagon. Will give it a try.

#77 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 August 2012 - 18:40

Well, it worked under Win8 x64. Only updated a couple things. But it was fast. Unlike Secunia.

#78 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 21 August 2012 - 18:52

Looks good. I've used http://secunia.com/p...s/consumer/psi/ for sometime. V3 (beta) is excellent

I have suggested this to use for the student computers we support. Many of them are too lazy to update stuff so having one place that does it all makes it more likely to get updated. For personal use for my own computers I update everything manually though.

#79 azspeedbullet

azspeedbullet

Neowinian

Posted 21 August 2012 - 19:11

Is there a way to save the install files/windows update and then run the patch my pc application? I will like to roll out this app within my job, however it will be very slow if it is has to re download every time i run the app

#80 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

Posted 21 August 2012 - 20:44

Yeah, I'd trust this as much as I trust the auto driver update programs, not at all. It's windows update or manual/programs own updater. Only way to go.

Agreed. I tried that Driver update once and it installed a bunch of crap I didn't want. I just couldn't avoid it after awhile and was losing my mind, the download driver icon was on every webpage I went too, usually right next to another download link I was looking for and it was trying to confuse me into accidently clicking on it. Direct download for me as I don't trust these 3rd party gatekeepers, they always seem to have an alternative motive.

#81 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 21 August 2012 - 23:07

Well, it worked under Win8 x64. Only updated a couple things. But it was fast. Unlike Secunia.

Yep I use to use securnia also but to update just flash alone, it would take FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#82 HappiestDays

HappiestDays

Neowinian

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:03

For those using portable software—as everyone should be—this isn't necessary, since the portable software suites already batch-update everything

#83 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 14 September 2012 - 23:06

Last month I had added patchmypc to my scheduled tasks on my computer using the patchmypc.exe /s, so every night it would run in the background and install all the latest versions. Tonight, I went to open iTunes to get the newest security now for my walk, and i forgot I had setup patchmypc to run silently every night. When I went to open up iTunes i already had the newest version that just came out. I thought... That's a hell of a thing!

#84 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 21 September 2012 - 22:41

why in the hell are you giving this free advertising? It sucks! There is no way you can remove certain things and fix everything without sitting in front of the computer!

Try actually trying it before mouthing off mate, its actually a not bad bit of software which is perfect for your mom/dads to use and leave you in peace, we assessed it for managing in a locked down corp domain for such crud like adobe etc, ended up using ninite pro, cos its hassle free, but patch my pc is just as good! (and free!)

There is no way you can remove certain things and fix everything without sitting in front of the computer!

Err Logmein and RDP??? Bios access on physical machines is the ONLY thing you cant do with Logmein or RDP! Everything else CAN be done remotely. I do exactly this daily on 200 workstations and 35 servers (physical & Virtual). Jeesh!

#85 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 25 October 2012 - 17:12

#86 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 02 December 2012 - 20:22

One other nice thing about patchmypc that i've started using is it makes it really to install a handful of common applications after a clean install.

Open it and right click on all the applications you wish to install and select "Install / reinstall". The item will then turn red. Do that for every item you wish to install and then click the "Preform X number of updates" button. Then in 1 click all of the applications you selected will be downloaded and installed

#87 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 December 2012 - 20:51

Got ninite for that, though in general I hardly ever do a reinstall

#88 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 02 December 2012 - 20:53

Got ninite for that, though in general I hardly ever do a reinstall

I use it for Customer reinstalls saves me lots of time

#89 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 December 2012 - 20:58

I prefer reinstalls as a last resort unless the client requests it, and then, I do a reinstall, patch up with windows update, adobe reader, java, flash, and maybe office and AV on request.

Better to just install them manually, and most of them have web installers so I can just keep them on a USB stick with my tools.

#90 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 02 December 2012 - 20:59

I use it for Customer reinstalls saves me lots of time

What a great idea! I have 3 different peoples' computers right in front of me, and although I knew about that program, didn't even think about using it on them! Thanks, warwagon! (Y)