Patch My PC - Not bad, not bad at all.

application

112 replies to this topic

#91 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 December 2012 - 21:05

I prefer reinstalls as a last resort unless the client requests it, and then, I do a reinstall, patch up with windows update, adobe reader, java, flash, and maybe office and AV on request.

Better to just install them manually, and most of them have web installers so I can just keep them on a USB stick with my tools.

Well this way you don't have to open each individual web installer. Just select the apps you want and hit go and patchmypc does the rest automatic for you.

What a great idea! I have 3 different peoples' computers right in front of me, and although I knew about that program, didn't even think about using it on them! Thanks, warwagon! (Y)

ya give it a try on them, i'm pretty sure you will fall in love. One word of advice. For some reason if malwarebyes get updated with that application, patchmypc doesn't tell malwaredbytes to not reboot. So sometimes the PC will shut down and reboot after the malwarebytes updates with patchmypc. So I usually do that one by hand.

#92 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 December 2012 - 21:08

In the end it's so little work to launch those three installers it's less work than running this app.

The fastest and most efficient way is to download a ninite installe for them me store on the stick though.

But even then I would rather do it manually, then I know it's installed and works properly.

#93 Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:38

Well, I used it, and it was simply amazing! Saved me a huge amount of time. Thanks for the heads up about the malwarebytes update, though. I had already installed and updated it before hand on all 3 systems, so it wasn't an issue for me. Anyway, this nifty little jewel is now on a permanent fixture in my pc repair utility list. Awesome is the only word I can use to describe it! Very happy! :)

#94 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:04

That UI needs some heavy polishing.

Sheesh!

I think that anyone who complains of just the UI has absolutely no clue as to why they don't like something. Who gives a crap what it looks like, if it works? I mean, are you going to set and stare at it all day, or what?

Personally,
I'm like the person on page 1 of these replies, I don't like these kind of programs either. Would rather update my stuff manually, but I might give this a try on the computers that come through here too.

#95 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:20

I don't know if I'd trust it. Besides I'm usually running alpha/beta programs and I doubt this would update to higher alpha/beta releases.
Plus I tried a driver update program, Driver Doctor, it did it's thing, told me how many drivers were outdated, downloaded them and went to install, while installing each one by one said the driver about to be installed was older than the current installed, which I kind of thought too, so of course I cancelled them and uninstalled the program.
Like someone mentioned above, manual update is the best.

#96 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:29

Who gives a crap what it looks like, if it works?

A lot of people do. It'd work just as well without a theme that fell out of 2002.

#97 Kenny Kanashimi Chu

Kenny Kanashimi Chu

Neowinian

Posted 09 December 2012 - 13:20

Nah no point.

Most of the program will notify u with the latest update anyway. I like to check for them sometimes too also drivers and crap can be updated in Windows update!

#98 jackkk1

jackkk1

Neowinian

Posted 09 December 2012 - 13:40

I doubt that it has anywhere near the size of application database as secunia, judging by the immature interface look it's still new software and may be much buggier than mentioned secunia's beta version, but, well, i haven't tried it yet!

#99 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 09 December 2012 - 13:52

The last version that I used seemed a bit slow but I tried version 2.3 and it worked pretty nicely.

#100 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 09 December 2012 - 14:57

A lot of people do. It'd work just as well without a theme that fell out of 2002.

Hmm... I actually LOVE the current interface.

#101 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 03 April 2013 - 21:30

Version 2.3.0.3 Released
http://patchmypc.net/PatchMyPC.exe

#102 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:59

Download : install Speed test,

Patchmypc vs Secunia PSI

#103 Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 02 May 2013 - 18:11

I use it a lot, heck of a time saver! (Y)

#104 Klownicle

Klownicle

I get a custom title? Sweett.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 18:21

Awesome program, been using since I saw it first published on Neowin. Great for setup of new pcs, and updating current apps with a single click. My only issue is occasionally the updates will fail; usually with java. I just have to uninstall the app and reinstall with patchmypc. Seems to happen if the original install wasn't done with PatchMyPC and the version is of significant difference. I also find the standalone updates to programs, if ran manually, take longer than patchmypc does. This is becuase of the silent installs.

#105 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 May 2013 - 18:36

Patchy... at best!

Posted Image