1. 1. Which next phone should I get?

• iPhone 4S (iOS)
    • Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android)
    • Nokia Lumia 900 (Windows Phone 7)
    • Other iOS Phone
    • Other Android Phone
    • Other Windows Phone

Alright.

I'm planning to get a new phone but it's hard to choose because phones has tremendously evolved and every mobile OS has it's ups and downs, also in my opinion they shouldn't be called phones or smartphones anymore.

At the moment, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S GT9000 - Android.

I'm gonna be honest, I had some bad experiences with lag and in order to make my phone lag-free I had to do a couple of things such as:

- Flash a custom or an official stable ROM (custom ROMS such as Darky's)

- Install Lagfix

- Install a different kernel

- Make partitions and swap

and some fixes here and there, I don't specifically remember what else had I done.

Yeah I know, the later phones have no problems such as the above or are less lag-free.

I have used a Galaxy S2 and I noticed a I had a better experience with Android-OS but still they only thing that keeps from getting an Galaxy S3 is the Android OS.

The reason is because Android exists for many devices and in my opinion with that kind of OS you cannot expect every device to run at it's fullest potential

It has a lot of apps and you can find everything you can imagine in it's market.

iPhones exist way before than Android phones and they have too a large variety of apps and Apple only needs to focus on 4 (or 5?) devices for OS updates and for them it's easier maintain them but it's pricy, it costs way more than a Windows Phone or an Android Phone.

Windows Phones are impressive, every user that has used or owns a Windows phone says good things about them especially the lag-free experience they had or doing daily tasks and they are cheaper than iPhones.

However, they don't have the same gamma of apps as Android or IOS offer but given the right amount of time they should have no problems.

What's your opinion?

Which phone would you suggest?

What are you experiences with your phones?

Please keep this thread flame-free as possible and refrain from expressing your fanaticism.

I had the same experience as you with Android. I used to love my windows phone but it go stolen. Right now I have an iPhone 4s and couldnt be happier. So I would recommend either iPhone or WP7

Alright.

I'm planning to get a new phone but it's hard to choose because phones has tremendously evolved and every mobile OS has it's ups and downs, also in my opinion they shouldn't be called phones or smartphones anymore.

At the moment, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S GT9000 - Android.

I'm gonna be honest, I had some bad experiences with lag and in order to make my phone lag-free I had to do a couple of things such as:

- Flash a custom or an official stable ROM (custom ROMS such as Darky's)

- Install Lagfix

- Install a different kernel

- Make partitions and swap

and some fixes here and there, I don't specifically remember what else had I done.

Yeah I know, the later phones have no problems such as the above or are less lag-free.

I have used a Galaxy S2 and I noticed a I had a better experience with Android-OS but still they only thing that keeps from getting an Galaxy S3 is the Android OS.

The reason is because Android exists for many devices and in my opinion with that kind of OS you cannot expect every device to run at it's fullest potential

It has a lot of apps and you can find everything you can imagine in it's market.

iPhones exist way before than Android phones and they have too a large variety of apps and Apple only needs to focus on 4 (or 5?) devices for OS updates and for them it's easier maintain them but it's pricy, it costs way more than a Windows Phone or an Android Phone.

Windows Phones are impressive, every user that has used or owns a Windows phone says good things about them especially the lag-free experience they had or doing daily tasks and they are cheaper than iPhones.

However, they don't have the same gamma of apps as Android or IOS offer but given the right amount of time they should have no problems.

What's your opinion?

Which phone would you suggest?

What are you experiences with your phones?

Please keep this thread flame-free as possible and refrain from expressing your fanaticism.

I used to have an HTC Desire and that really was a lag filled experience, probably more so than your Galaxy S.

Windows Phone is a good choice, be aware though that no one outside Microsoft knows whether current phones will get an upgrade to WP8. If you want another Android device then give the Galaxy Nexus a try, being stock ICS it's faster than devices that have a manufacturer skin and the 4.0.4 OTA improves the speed further and also improves battery life.

If Apps are the only thing putting you off WP7, first check out whether the Apps you need are available - many are, and those that aren't almost always have alternatives (a few of which are actually better than the original apps).

A lot of rumours are spread about "missing apps" but a lot of that is down to numbers rather than which ones are missing.

You have just listed some very good reasons to not get an Android phone. Having to mess with system exploits, kernels, partitioning, and custom ROMs of indeterminate quality/security just to get semi-decent performance out of operating system is ridiculous, this is 2012 not 2007.

"Lack of apps" is definitely not one of Windows Phone's drawbacks, no matter what the tech media may tell you. Most of the time, if you don't find an official app, there's almost always a third-party one that does the job at least just as well. But if you can't live without some must-have apps, like Angry Birds Space, Windows Phone isn't for you. Having said that, the list of technical limitations in Windows Phone may sound disappointing, but don't be fooled by that. I avoided WP for ages because I kept a checklist of what it could or couldn't do compared to iOS/Android, but the fact is that, when I finally bought a WP device, the OS is simply so smooth, intuitive, uniform, and well-designed overall that a list of minor things it can't do really doesn't matter.

Get a Windows Phone. But if you're risk-averse and don't like being an early adopter, the iPhone is always a safe choice.

Lawl i misread it as "Windows Phone should i get?"

I would say go for WPs if you are not madly into apps... Though you get most of them . Also WPs have a nice future considering Win8 helping the platform in future. The ui is simple and very fast , what a quad core android might still not feel like. But if you like apps go for iPhone , but right now its out of the league , wait for june WWDC event. Android is just a bargain IMO... But if you choose WP , i would say wait a while for multi core and higher res phones to come with WP8 , coz if just in case current phones dont get the update you would be using a phone with such a short life...

PS apologies for wrongly framed paragraph , i needz sleepz

I would check to see if the apps you need are available on WP7 and if so, go for a WP7 mobile. The OS is super fast and smooth (no lag) and if you go for a Nokia Lumia 800 or 900, you won't be dissappointed. I use the Lumia 800 and having used both iPhone and Android, the fresh UI is something to behold. Yep, not everyones idea of utopia but its pretty close in my book.

As previous posts have stated, the lack of apps is very much a perceived downside. I have pretty much every app I need and all the features just work.

All depends on what apps you want, can't live without etc....

I think it mostly personal taste (preference)

I currently have a iP4, SGs2 and I would go biased towards the Android (I am not sure how the SGs3 is going to be, but would suggest you wait till it is announced then make a decision.

build and feel iP4(s) --- though I have not touched WP.

customizable and uniqueness - Android

I cannot pass judgement on WP as I have not seen one and do not like the interface or models available from reviews and screenshots.

Had the Galaxy S - loved the tweaking and fiddling with it

Got the Lumina 800 - sent it back - no thanks

yes its smooth but the apps place is poor

Went back to Galaxy S for a while...

Just bought the Galaxy Note , installed Darkys 3.4.1.EE - excellent.

Yes its big but worth it.

I'm sorry I might have given the wrong impression I can live without apps.

What I meant by gamma or variety of apps I'll try to give an example.

Two days before I had a conversation with a friend, he told me "There is a vibrator app on the market"

I searched in the market and I found a vibrator app.

Yes, indeed the phone became a vibrator... I had a good laugh...

That's what I meant by gamma, everything you can imagine exists..

By the way,

Is Nokia's GPS still supreme?

If my memory does not deceive, it was called Nokia Maps on 5800 Xpress Music mobile phone and once it had GPS signal you had a marvelous GPS experience..

It was dominating even the GPS devices

By the way,

Is Nokia's GPS still supreme?

If my memory does not deceive, it was called Nokia Maps on 5800 Xpress Music mobile phone and once it had GPS signal you had a marvelous GPS experience..

It was dominating even the GPS devices

Depends on where you live. If you're not in the US/Europe, the Bing/Nokia Maps database can be really hit or miss. I find that it maps locations pretty well when you give it a specific address, but if you're trying to find local businesses or POIs, a lot of the smaller ones aren't going to show up.

Having said that, the capabilities of the maps/navigation app itself is at least on par with Google Maps on Android, and is much faster, easier to use (less steps required for just about everything), and MUCH smoother and less laggy by far when you're scrolling around (comparing to GMaps on Nexus S running ICS here). You get voice directions too, just like Android. And an unofficial gMaps app is available for Windows Phone, if you really can't live without it.

• 1 month later...

Depends on what you need.

Personally, after a couple of mediocre Android phones I'm rather happy with my Lumia 900. Does everything I need it to do and really quick at doing it, zero waiting. Decent selection of apps (not great, but not bad). Overall a great phone. Wrote a couple little utilities for it just for my own use, just because. Not falling into that "well it may or may not get WP8" thing, because frankly not every Android's getting updated either. I bought it because it works great now.. chances are next year I'll be using a newer model anyway.

However, I don't use it as a replacement for a tablet. (I have a tablet for that.. my phone is primarily, well, a phone..) If you need an absurd amount of flexibility, you'd be better off picking up one of the bajillion flavors of Android phones. As you mentioned though that comes at a price, but since you're aware of it already, it's not a big surprise and you know how to work around it. Put a little effort into getting it set up and it's pretty good. Just make sure to do your homework and get a good one, there's an awful lot of bad ones out there too.

Friend of mine has an iPhone 4S; it's actually a pretty decent phone too. Typical Apple polish on everything, if anything they know how to take refinement to a new level. If WP7 wasn't around I'd probably have gone with that instead, but overall I like WP7 over iOS, that's just what worked better for me.

Sony Xperia S ;) Great value for money, ICS next week, one of the best-looking, least obtrusive and most functional Android skins, best camera aside the PureView, ... Doesn't get any better.

I'm a happy Lumia customer and would recommend the Lumia 900, if a WP8 update was guaranteed. It sadly is not, so I'd probably go with the iPhone 4S.

I used to use Android and you couldn't pay me to go back to that platform.