Photo

Which Phone should I get?

phone; ios; android; wp7

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Which next phone should I get?

Which next phone should I get?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 xeleraph

xeleraph

Neowinian

Posted 01 May 2012 - 15:35

By the way,
Is Nokia's GPS still supreme?
If my memory does not deceive, it was called Nokia Maps on 5800 Xpress Music mobile phone and once it had GPS signal you had a marvelous GPS experience..
It was dominating even the GPS devices

Depends on where you live. If you're not in the US/Europe, the Bing/Nokia Maps database can be really hit or miss. I find that it maps locations pretty well when you give it a specific address, but if you're trying to find local businesses or POIs, a lot of the smaller ones aren't going to show up.

Having said that, the capabilities of the maps/navigation app itself is at least on par with Google Maps on Android, and is much faster, easier to use (less steps required for just about everything), and MUCH smoother and less laggy by far when you're scrolling around (comparing to GMaps on Nexus S running ICS here). You get voice directions too, just like Android. And an unofficial gMaps app is available for Windows Phone, if you really can't live without it.

#17 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 May 2012 - 15:44

iPhone 4S, the Lumia isn't even guaranteed to get WP8 which would be a huge deal breaker for me

#18 philipkotler

philipkotler

Neowinian

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:06

I suggest you to buy a Samsung Galaxy S3 because it has more option better than IPhone 4S and especially (Android) OS is awesome.

#19 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:30

Depends on what you need.

Personally, after a couple of mediocre Android phones I'm rather happy with my Lumia 900. Does everything I need it to do and really quick at doing it, zero waiting. Decent selection of apps (not great, but not bad). Overall a great phone. Wrote a couple little utilities for it just for my own use, just because. Not falling into that "well it may or may not get WP8" thing, because frankly not every Android's getting updated either. I bought it because it works great now.. chances are next year I'll be using a newer model anyway.

However, I don't use it as a replacement for a tablet. (I have a tablet for that.. my phone is primarily, well, a phone..) If you need an absurd amount of flexibility, you'd be better off picking up one of the bajillion flavors of Android phones. As you mentioned though that comes at a price, but since you're aware of it already, it's not a big surprise and you know how to work around it. Put a little effort into getting it set up and it's pretty good. Just make sure to do your homework and get a good one, there's an awful lot of bad ones out there too.

Friend of mine has an iPhone 4S; it's actually a pretty decent phone too. Typical Apple polish on everything, if anything they know how to take refinement to a new level. If WP7 wasn't around I'd probably have gone with that instead, but overall I like WP7 over iOS, that's just what worked better for me.

#20 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:35

Sony Xperia S ;) Great value for money, ICS next week, one of the best-looking, least obtrusive and most functional Android skins, best camera aside the PureView, ... Doesn't get any better.

#21 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:58

I'm a happy Lumia customer and would recommend the Lumia 900, if a WP8 update was guaranteed. It sadly is not, so I'd probably go with the iPhone 4S.

I used to use Android and you couldn't pay me to go back to that platform.

#22 micro

micro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2012 - 13:06

Today we will know if the 900 will be upgradable to wp8. sit tight.