Imac G4

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#166 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:58

While a G5 can run Minecraft, it can only run the current version, the next update (Due in around a month) drops PPC support.

Now if you put Linux on it, then it's a different matter. I've got an iBook G4 here I'm going to throw Debian on.

#167 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:25

Have to agree about the suggestion to get a Mac Mini. I replied earlier in the thread - I still have a PowerMac, though thanks to some being thrown at work, I exchanged mine from a Dual 2.0GHz to pretty much a top of the line liquid cooled 2.5GHz Quad. It's certainly a lot quicker than the Dual 2.0GHz it replaced (as you'd expect) with the added novelty of the factory liquid cooling solution which makes it run quieter, but OSX 10.5.8 is as far as that system will ever go, and PowerPC support is really in decline sadly. Given the cost of a good PowerMac, I'd really put the money into a Mac Mini.

I suppose the frustrating thing is that technically it's still a powerful system specs wise - just OS support is dying off. As The_Decryptor says though if you're willing to look into Linux you could extend the life of the hardware a fair bit. I might look into sticking Linux on my PowerMac.

#168 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:44

Linux can extend the life of the hardware a fair bit, I've got an old beige G3 here that I'm planning to put NetBSD on as an exercise (You have to netboot it, and change the firmware on every boot with this model)

OS X on PPC is basically a dead end at this point, while PPC support on Linux should be here for a long time (They only just dropped 386 support recently, etc.)

#169 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:25

Hello peopless,

I am thinking about geting a power mac G5 off ebay. I love how it looks and it still runs some modern apps just find. It can still play minecraft if you have a upgraded video card in it. Any of you guys have one and can tell me if you are still useing it on a day to day basis?

Thanks,
Matt

Do we really need to go through this another 10+ pages? :/ Practically the exact same story that applied to the iMac G4 and eMac also applies to the PowerMac G5: it's the end of the line for PPC-based Macs.

#170 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:12

If you ever get bored with your G4 mac, you could always stick http://www.morphos-team.net/hardware MorphOS on there and play in the world of Amiga. :)

Also, if you like tinkering with the hardware side of things, pop over to www.xlr8yourmac.com where you might be able to find some hardware mod/hacks for your machine.

#171 OP startrek1997

startrek1997

MacHaxing!

• Phone: Verizon Iphone 5s gold 16 gb Running Ios 7.1

Posted 04 January 2013 - 20:07

I am going to look into MorphOS this weekend.....Thanks!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!