Windows 7 says not Genuine

in the uk, i would have the sheriff court issue a small claims summons against the retailer, i done this recently with Dixons. after i bought a refurbed netbook that was later found to be water damaged. (not caused by me) they dug their heels in and told me to F off for months saying i must have casued it!!, it wasn't until the courts summons that decided to listen. this only cost me ?15. anwyay, to cut a long story short they settled out of court, the gave my 300 quid of vouchers. netbook only cost160. they also let me keep the original water damaged netnook which they also repaired :-)

do you have a similar thing where you come from, i.e. "small courts"?

Newegg is usually really good about resolving problems, hate to see them not being more helpful but it sounds like Microsoft is the one who screwed up here. Just another example though of the pirates sitting back with no problems at all while the honest customers keep getting screwed with DRM and anti-piracy crap.

Don't always blame the pirates. There is a more than likely a reason why pirates pirate stuff as they more than likely tried the legit way and it only caused issues like this and then they pirate it and then wallah no more issues.Sometimes you must blame the software devs as corporate greed is the heart of the problem. Always blaming something on one thing is the wrong thing to do. You should look at it from all angles and decide which could truly be the issue.

Happened to me at home... I know for a fact I received the disc from Newegg, installed once with that key, then hid it in my desk drawer. No one else could have possibly gotten the key from the disc or the computer. (No malware or spyware... behind a pretty secure firewall) About a week ago it said it failed Windows Genuine Validation. After hours on the phone, I just decided to install an activator and be done with it. I have to pirate my own legit copy.

That's pretty sad that you have to do it that way but if it works then better for you.

Don't always blame the pirates. There is a more than likely a reason why pirates pirate stuff as they more than likely tried the legit way and it only caused issues like this and then they pirate it and then wallah no more issues.Sometimes you must blame the software devs as corporate greed is the heart of the problem. Always blaming something on one thing is the wrong thing to do. You should look at it from all angles and decide which could truly be the issue.

BS. The "pirates" didn't try the legit way to begin with (which is why they are called pirates in the first place). What angle is he supposed to look at it from? They copies activated to begin with and are now claiming to be not genuine. MS has dropped the ball on not straightening this out (as well as Newegg of which I would expect better).

*ripping out hair* ok MS auditing sucks.... we have one month to come up with paperwork on all our licenses from now 10yrs back... accounting is ****ed we are asking for these invoices.... gaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhwuhg....... and my boss just said "we'd off been better off if we did pirate stuff".... never heard that from her before...... this is too much of an odd coincidence we get audited when we yell at MS for our keys getting locked out

I often get this problem and for me a temporary workaround was to do WinKey + Pause/Break. It would "refresh" the licence information. In the end I edited the scheduled task to run more often so it would verify itself with Microsoft's server more often. Haven't had the problem since. It's a long shot, but have you tried that? I know you mentioned that Microsoft said the key was now blocked/locked. But hey at this stage...!

I often get this problem and for me a temporary workaround was to do WinKey + Pause/Break. It would "refresh" the licence information. In the end I edited the scheduled task to run more often so it would verify itself with Microsoft's server more often. Haven't had the problem since. It's a long shot, but have you tried that? I know you mentioned that Microsoft said the key was now blocked/locked. But hey at this stage...!

at this stage we have much larger problems to worry about being pushed into a license audit...

at this stage we have much larger problems to worry about being pushed into a license audit...

I've never quite understood how Microsoft (or any software company) has any legal authority to do an audit of a company's licenses, unless your company had some type of contract with them in the first place (in which case, why would you have needed to buy OEM copies of Windows).

I've never quite understood how Microsoft (or any software company) has any legal authority to do an audit of a company's licenses, unless your company had some type of contract with them in the first place (in which case, why would you have needed to buy OEM copies of Windows).

we had eOpen license agreements, but we never bought all our products through that, as honestly the agreement sucked for a lot of stuff..

TOOK A WHILE but newegg came through with a new license..

well that some good news

how's the audit going with the rest of the problem PCs?

At least you got new keys!

Sorry to hear about the audit. Good luck!

(Also, maybe a disgruntled ex-employee contacted the BSA about the company possibly pirating software? This wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened...)

At least you got new keys!

Sorry to hear about the audit. Good luck!

(Also, maybe a disgruntled ex-employee contacted the BSA about the company possibly pirating software? This wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened...)

if someone did, they are pulling crap out of their hat, we have more licenses then are in use for all our software...