macbook linux usb

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 whitebread

whitebread

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 01 May 2012 - 17:44

I created a bootable USB thumbdrive with a Linux distro on it (the Kaspersky antivirus rescue disk) so I can scan my Windows partition for viruses.

I have Kaspersky 2012 installed on my Windows drive and it is fully up-to-date. Full scans reveal no viruses.

However, I suspect either my OS X Lion install or my Windows install has a virus because a couple weeks back someone got into my Hotmail account and sent out spam emails. I AM NOT stupid enough to fall for a phishing attempt. Seriously.

So, I would like to try booting to the Kaspersky Rescue Disk and see if it finds anything the Windows install missed. The problem is... I can't figure out how to boot to it.

I have tried holding "Option" when the computer turns on. It gives me the option to boot to the OS X recovery partition, OS X, or Windows -- but not my USB thumbdrive. If I select Windows to boot to, it boots to Windows.

How can I boot to my USB thumbdrive? I'm apparently not very good at using Google because I did try, but I found links on how to boot to OS X from a USB drive.

Please help :)

#2 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 01 May 2012 - 17:47

macs don't like to boot from usb very well

that's about all i can say because I've never successfully booted from usb on my macbook either :/

#3 OP whitebread

whitebread

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 01 May 2012 - 17:50

^ Darn it!

#4 Halfalive

Halfalive

Neowinian

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:01

What is the partition table set to on the USB drive. If you are using MBR, that could be your problem. I have had a lot of success with USB drives on the Mac that I'm using Guid as the Partition table. Not sure what kind of options you have when creating the linux USB drive.

#5 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: hammerhead

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:07

that's about all i can say because I've never successfully booted from usb on my macbook either :/

misinformed advice, they boot fine from usb. From what i have read is in order to get kaspersky/linux iso to boot from usb you have to set up the partition layout differently. Again macs have no issues booting from usb, brando212 is just misinformed.

http://www.paulmc.or...ve-on-mac-os-x/

http://www.makeuseof...usb-on-the-mac/

#6 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:08

i've even followed guides and failed so I don't know what the crap my macs problem is with booting from usb? :/

#7 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:09

terrible advice, they boot fine from usb. From what i have read is in order to get kaspersky/linux iso to boot from usb you have to set up the partition layout differently. Again macs have no issues booting from usb, brando212 is just misinformed.

...But they do have difficulties booting from USB? You've got to ensure it's GPT not MBR formatted for a start, and then hope your USB is just supported, some just aren't.

#8 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:10

...But they do have difficulties booting from USB? You've got to ensure it's GPT not MBR formatted for a start, and then hope your USB is just supported, some just aren't.

maybe that's been my problem, are sandisk's not supported?

#9 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:16

All Intel Macs have the capability to boot from USB drives out of the box and some of the latest PPC Macs after some messing around in their Open Firmware.

#10 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:20

All Intel Macs have the capability to boot from USB drives out of the box and some of the latest PPC Macs after some messing around in their Open Firmware.

yes they have the capability, that doesn't mean it's easy to get working :/

#11 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: hammerhead

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:24

depends what your trying to boot, in my field i see macs in for service often and never have an issue booting off usb, to say they have an issue is incorrect. They boot just fine, its a matter of the user setting up the usb device properly, which again isnt the fault of the mac but the fault of the user.

#12 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:26

I never ever got to install Windows using bootable USB on my Mid 2010 MBP. However, Lion can install over USB. rEFIt is not compatible with Lion and it seems like abandonware.

#13 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:27

rEFIt not compatible with lion? I've got it running with lion, linux and windows xp...

#14 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:31

Point me to its download please. Last time, it messed up my install.

#15 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:33

I've never gotten rEFIt working with lion either, I've got an early 2011 macbookpro
I tried the installer, and i've tried the manual way with no success except longer lion boot times until i remove the files again

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!