Photo

Do you enjoy using Java?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you enjoy using Java? (108 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you enjoy using Java?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 AWilliams87

AWilliams87

Neowinian

• 807 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 19:15

Out of all the programming languages I've used up until now (more than a dozen) Java definately ranks on the first place in terms of hatred…

Have you used objective-C?

#17 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

• 2,284 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 19:19

Have you used objective-C?

Nope, the syntax alone has kept me from using that abomination. (Apart from the fact that IMHO ObjC is completely useless if you aren't using a Mac…)

#18 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:14

Kill it with fire.

#19 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• 3,763 posts
  • Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:15

I don't even know it's there most of the time. I only install it for websites.

#20 htcz

htcz

Neowinian Senior

• 1,821 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 21:22

Fire? Nuke that bitch.

Java should have never existed in the first place. This is the one time I hope in some distant future, MS open sources .NET (more so C#) so it can be used anywhere and on anything.

Java sucks. Plain and simple.

#21 helios01

helios01

Neowinian

• 378 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 21:27

Prefer C#. I don't mind it as much as how it's used in frameworks and such, getting a web app running with it is much more of a headache than in C#. Tried using Spring Roo, what a headache, took hours just to set it up right. And don't even try to combine different Java packages, try integrating Spring and Google App Engine. Like I said, I'll take C# and ASP.NET MVC for web development over Java packages any day.

#22 SongHyeonDeok

SongHyeonDeok

Lightning in a bottle.

• 353 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 21:35

Java should have never existed in the first place.

Why? Because you dislike it?

It's an awesome introductory language, versatile and works on nearly any platform.

#23 +DonC

DonC

Neowinian

• 989 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 21:35

I used to like Java and then Java 1.5 happened. IDEs aren't an issue because I only ever use either Vim or Visual Studio. :)

P.S. I do feel that 1.7 and 1.8 are on the road to redemption but why would anyone choose Java now over C# when they have a free choice?

#24 Depicus

Depicus

depicus.com

• 728 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 03 May 2012 - 21:36

For me it's an amazing language to work with. One of my clients uses AS400's and I wrote a credit card processing system using java, I could write and compile on my mac then upload to the as400. It also means that windows users can also run the same code. This just isn't possible unless you have the time to learn PRG or COBAL, now that's something nobody wants to do :) .

#25 GuJu

GuJu

Neowinian Astronomer

• 2,573 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:08

system.out.println("I heart it");

#26 metro2012

metro2012

Neowinian

• 458 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 21:21

It's an awesome introductory language, versatile and works on nearly any platform.

introductory? a intro language is C, so you can learn basic programming rules (and have a usual pointer headache). a introductory language, the way u ment it, is C# since VB.NET is getting left behind.

#27 Guest_glyfz_*

Guest_glyfz_*

Posted 26 May 2012 - 21:23

My least favourite language.

#28 butilikethecookie

butilikethecookie

Neowinian

• 465 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 21:47

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
NO!

#29 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 2,615 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 22:02

A programming language is a means to an end. I enjoy solving problems. If Java makes that easy for me, then it's a good language.

#30 SongHyeonDeok

SongHyeonDeok

Lightning in a bottle.

• 353 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 22:18

introductory? a intro language is C, so you can learn basic programming rules (and have a usual pointer headache). a introductory language, the way u ment it, is C# since VB.NET is getting left behind.

You can learn basic programming rules using almost any language?

To clarify, I'm talking about from an OOP standpoint too. I honestly believe Java's one of the best languages for introducing the concept of objects to someone who has never done any programming before.

My opinions are based upon experience, and for me Java has been a joy to use... So far...