93 year-old woman activates medical alert, during home robbery

MARION, Ohio -- Two teenagers are accused of tying up and threatening the life of an elderly woman, Marion police say.

The break-in occurred at 93-year-old Ruby Snyder's home on Richmond Avenue at about 3:15 a.m.

It appears that the two alleged thieves entered Snyder's home through a bedroom window.

Snyder told NBC4 that the suspects used duct take on her hands, feet and mouth, and held her at knifepoint.

"By the time somebody grabbed me ? I started yelling," she said. "He put his hand over my mouth and he told me to sit down, so I sat down."

According to police, the suspects are two Marion teenagers, ages 15 and 17.

"They put my hands together ? and marched me and they used that silver duct tape ? and put my feet up on my hassock ? and then they used that same tape on my feet. Then they put the tape over my mouth so I couldn?t talk. Then I got there and I watched them," she said.

While tied up on a chair, Snyder said, she watched as they ransacked her home, looking for money, drugs and jewelry.

Snyder was still in possession of her personal medical alert button that rings to a care center in Dayton. She was sitting on the button and the center workers heard everything. :shifty:

"He was asking her for money, pain pills and told the other gentleman to search everything. He's tying our client up," the care center worker told 911 operators.

The care center called Marion police, reporting armed individuals breaking into the home.

The company was monitoring the home's audio, and an employee told dispatchers Snyder was tied up and the suspects threatened to kill her.

"Officers surrounded the house and were able to keep in constant contact with the alarm company for the purpose of making a tactical approach," Lt. Mike Shade said.

Marion officers took the two teenage suspects into custody.

"I thought about ladies getting killed, people getting killed, women especially, and I thought that's what they're going to do to me," Snyder said.

Police and the prosecutor's office said they are also investigating if the teenagers are responsible for the robbery and stabbing of 71-year-old Tom Thompson Monday morning.

"I was still groggy and I was still half asleep and he pushed me down. They told me they was going to rob me," Thompson said.

Like Snyder's case, the suspects were allegedly after money and drugs.

Thompson said he tried to fight back.

"He stuck me in the arm and stabbed me and he said, 'We will kill you.' He said, 'We want your narcotics and your money,'" Thompson said. "What was funny about the whole ? thing ? after he stuck me with a knife, he grabbed the ibuprofen and told me to take it for pain and handed me the bottle," Thompson said.

The teens are charged with juvenile counts of aggravated burglary, aggravated robbery and kidnapping. The younger of the suspects will be charged as a serious juvenile offender, but the elder will be charged as an adult.

source & video

The 15 year old gets to walk away as a juvenile offender, how nice. I'm sure he will turn his life around and become an asset to society.

Not n this state! 14-15 year olds involved in robberies, etc. or violent crimes (which this would be considered) are frequently sent to adult court by our juvie authorities. Hell, Michigan has charged 11 year olds with murder.