Is now the wrong time to buy an iMac

Well the title says it all, is now possibly the worse time in the world to get an iMac. I;ve been looking on eBay and the i5, 21" units seem to be going for about ?750 which seems a bargain (in the land of macs). Just wondering if this is a land rush sale before Apple announce the new units.

Has anyone got any ideas on how much iMacs depreciate after new announcements?

Yes, it is since the next refresh is going to happen soon... It might drop a few hundred dollars but not more than that.

I am waiting for the new mac book pro hopefully with ivy

Ebay? I got riped off so many times it's stupid. (dents, scratches not mentioned) Try to get a brand new one from Apple Store. I don't know anything about pounds (I'm USAian :rolleyes:). Why not just spend 300 (?) more and get a brand new one? They also droped OS X 10.8 ML support for alot of models (just google it). I would hate for you to buy it and be stuck with Lion (It needs a few performance tweeks imo. Better than SL by far tho!)

Also, in terms of getting a deal (if the latest and greatest isn't your main goal), then Macs tend to drop in price immediately after the new model is released. So, those older ones should probably go down even some more if you don't mind having a Sandy Bridge instead of an Ivy Bridge.

You could also check out the Mac Mini if you just want a Mac for cheap.

I dont see that happening. WWDC is always about the software and the iPhone.

Not sure where you're getting this from but new computers have been unveiled at the WDCC before
  • Like 1

Short and sweet:

YES

Glassed Silver:mac

edit: / addition:

I dont see that happening. WWDC is always about the software and the iPhone.

Interesting.......

With the exception of the Mac Pro, all Macs use Intel's mobile processors internally. Considering that the new Ivy Bridge-based mobile processors were just released, it is the wrong time to buy any new Mac. Even if it takes another month or two, you would be throwing good money away on old technology. The last iMac update was literally over a year ago, on May 3, 2011.

That'll be why people were offereing i5 imacs for 750 then in the effort to get rid of them. Time to put up my 2009 Mac book pro then i think..

With the exception of the Mac Pro, all Macs use Intel's mobile processors internally. Considering that the new Ivy Bridge-based mobile processors were just released, it is the wrong time to buy any new Mac. Even if it takes another month or two, you would be throwing good money away on old technology. The last iMac update was literally over a year ago, on May 3, 2011.

The iMac doesn't use a mobile CPU
  • Like 2

The iMac doesn't use a mobile CPU

You're quite right. I confused myself because of their GPU lineup, so I assumed that they opted for the mobile CPUs as well.

Guess this goes to show what happens when people assume. Good catch, Rudy.

How regular is the iMac refresh, it's not going to become another Mac Pro is it?

After all this is longest wait yet for a new iMac...

post-105752-0-00054200-1336389276.png