11 posts in this topic

Posted

WP7Forum.ru has had a sneak peek at Nokia

Posted

The metro tile for the app looks bad... Nokia have no taste :x

Posted

What do you mean? That's a live tile which is pretty cool.

Posted

Didn't NOKIA say that they would make this app available to devices from other OEMs? As my HTC Location expired I'd welcome a free GPS app.

Posted

Didn't NOKIA say that they would make this app available to devices from other OEMs? As my HTC Location expired I'd welcome a free GPS app.

No, but the map data will be integrated into or replace the map data used in bing.

Posted

I think it looks perfectly fine.

Posted

Once the local data and map data gets back into Bing Maps we'll be better off but as for the apps it's not looking like other phones will get them. I think Nokia could make some extra money on the side if they actually sold the older version to other people for a good price. So, since we're talking about Nokia Drive 3.0, once it's out they could turn around and offer the older 2.x version to other phone owners for a nice price while still keeping the newest version for Nokia devices only.

I think it'd be a win-win for them.

Posted

I just want spoken street names and I'll be happy.

Posted

I just want spoken street names and I'll be happy.

Spoken street names only works in english languages and even then it's pretty bad.

Posted

Once the local data and map data gets back into Bing Maps we'll be better off but as for the apps it's not looking like other phones will get them. I think Nokia could make some extra money on the side if they actually sold the older version to other people for a good price. So, since we're talking about Nokia Drive 3.0, once it's out they could turn around and offer the older 2.x version to other phone owners for a nice price while still keeping the newest version for Nokia devices only.

I think it'd be a win-win for them.

Agreed. Nokia should definitely sell this in the marketplace.

Having said that it needs a lot of work before it can really compete with other satnav software. The configuration options are limited, the graphics used for the maps are a bit simple and it doesn't run in the background (although that's beyond Nokia's control). Still, Nokia are rolling out new versions relatively quickly so it should improve quickly.

Posted

Spoken street names only works in english languages and even then it's pretty bad.

Hmm I have mine set to UK English (I live in the US, but I like the accent and words like motorway) but it doesn't use street names.