Awesomenauts - The Console's MOBA

post-51448-0-34522800-1336235746_thumb.j

There's nothing quite like a monkey with a laser mounted to its jetpack fighting a ninja lizard, space sheriff, and robot Incredible Hulk. Awesomenauts is absurd and hilarious. For the most part, it's entertaining to play, too. It distills a complicated, largely PC-only genre down to its essence, and it does so mostly successfully. Awesomenauts is one of the first instances of a multiplayer online battle arena on consoles, and when it isn't stumbling over its own simplicity, it does a great job of bringing something exciting to a new audience.

Think of the MOBA genre like inverse tug-of-war ? two teams with distinct hero characters push against waves of human players and their AI companions; whichever group breaks through the other side first takes home the win. Turret placements block routes, summon spots spawn additional help, and hidden paths allow players to flank their foes. Awesomenauts builds a complex layer of strategy around a bare-bones 2D core, and this is where thoughtful players will discover smart tactics.

source - http://ps3.ign.com/a.../1224122p1.html

I'm really loving this game. Got it the other night off of PSN for free due to PS+ deal. It is also on the 360.

This is like LoL/HoN/DoTA , but side scrolling. There are tactics to use in fights, items to buy, characters to unlock, and team work that is needed to win. There are lanes you have to push, creeps you have to kill for gold, and lanes to push through.

I normally pass up games such as these, as they seem to normally be knock offs or just cheap in general. This game is very unique.

Upon starting the game, you are instantly thrown back to the late 1980's Saturday mornings. You get this great musical intro, complete with singing and video of the characters, in such a manner that cartoons used to do as their opening theme. The effort put into just the opening is a great start and gives you this feeling of excitement.

After you get passed the opening intro, you are thrown into a tutorial. It teachs you how to play the game and explains how you rank up to unlock more items and characters. After the 1 level tutorial, you are left to battle it online against 3 other players.

Teams consist of 3 players each. Bots will be added for teams that don't have 3 players, and when a real person joins your game, the bot leaves. The games/servers are normally open for others to join those available slots. The bots are not something to ignore either. I actually lost a game to nothing but a team of bots, with my 2 real friends playing beside me.

This game is simple yet rewarding, due to there being little skills you can pick up that will help your team and hurt the other team.

I urge all to try this if you like MOBA's on the PC. It provides all that they do, but on a console and with a smaller player base. But it is still a ton of fun.

See now that's how you do it. We need more great looking 2D games. Even though the ps3 and 360 are being almost maxed out 3D wise, we could still make some GREAT looking 2D games. This is proof!

The music. What is this. Why did I click that link.

LOL , It's the theme song. They do the intro like a old school 80's action cartoon. It's great.

Played it last night on PS3 for about an hour. It's actually quite fun.

Played it last night on PS3 for about an hour. It's actually quite fun.

Are you on my friends list? If not, add me. Always looking for another to join in with me. Learning some good strats with certain characters and team builds.

• Like 1

Are you on my friends list? If not, add me. Always looking for another to join in with me. Learning some good strats with certain characters and team builds.

Have been playing quite a bit as Leon. Love the game.

Have been playing quite a bit as Leon. Love the game.

Same. Leon is my favorite and probably the most over powered, just due to his invisibility and tongue.

• 1 month later...

Just started playing this earlier. Definitely deserves to have "awesome" in its name. :p Played the tutorial, then a bot match with Leon. Haven't touched the other characters yet, so I can't tell if he's overpowered or not. :p