Converting recorded TV in HD so can be recorded onto DVD

Hello All,

I have a Humax HDR-FOX T2 Freeview Recorder that I use to record my favourite programmes. I am wanting to convert some onto DVDs as the Hard Drive is getting full. I am having difficultly doing this for programmes that was recorded of the HD channels.

Does anyone know of any software that will do this?

Getting the files from your DVR HDD and into a computer is usually a rub. Some recorders with a Firewire port can be hooked up with an appropriate cable and the files copied, but this sometimes requires a hacked firmware. The easiest way is probably to simply get a cheap DVD recorder and hook its input up to the Hunan's output and do a straight dub, but quality suffers if the only connection possible is the composite ports. S-Video out & in is better, but component is better still. Another option is some kind of HDMI input capable video capture device akin to the AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR card or some equivalent - usually ~$100.

If you do manage to get the files exported, most commercial entry-level video editors (Adobe Premiere Elements, Corel Video Studio Pro, MAGIX Movie Edit Pro etc.) can transcode widescreen HD content into a 16:9 formatted DVD format and burn the disc with good quality. The rub is always what the file format of the sources is,. If it's a standard format like any of the MPEG's (1, 2, 4, TS, H.264 etc.), Quicktime, DivX etc then you should be all set.

These are usually available as free trials with varying degrees of functionality so you can give them a shot. You can usually find previous releases online at a serious discount, though I wouldn't go back more than 1 generation. They are also usually seriously discounted just before a new build comes out.

Getting the files from your DVR HDD and into a computer is usually a rub. Some recorders with a Firewire port can be hooked up with an appropriate cable and the files copied, but this sometimes requires a hacked firmware. The easiest way is probably to simply get a cheap DVD recorder and hook its input up to the Hunan's output and do a straight dub, but quality suffers if the only connection possible is the composite ports. S-Video out & in is better, but component is better still. Another option is some kind of HDMI input capable video capture device akin to the AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR card or some equivalent - usually ~$100.

If you do manage to get the files exported, most commercial entry-level video editors (Adobe Premiere Elements, Corel Video Studio Pro, MAGIX Movie Edit Pro etc.) can transcode widescreen HD content into a 16:9 formatted DVD format and burn the disc with good quality. The rub is always what the file format of the sources is,. If it's a standard format like any of the MPEG's (1, 2, 4, TS, H.264 etc.), Quicktime, DivX etc then you should be all set.

These are usually available as free trials with varying degrees of functionality so you can give them a shot. You can usually find previous releases online at a serious discount, though I wouldn't go back more than 1 generation. They are also usually seriously discounted just before a new build comes out.

Thanks. I have managed to get the files onto a external hard, the Humax has a usb port. Non-HD content is quite easy to convert but the program I use doesn't take to well to HD content.

Hey

Handbrake and and dvd videosoft , both free ...Bing it!

Thanks, will look into these now.

None of the above work. I have tried several different packages and not one appears to like the files. Copied them from the Humax 3 times to make sure there not corrupt.