Salmonella in dog food sickens 14 people in USA

COLUMBIA, SC (AP) ? Fourteen people in at least nine states have been sickened by salmonella after handling tainted dog food from a South Carolina plant that a few years ago produced food contaminated by toxic mold that killed dozens of dogs, federal officials said Friday.

At least five people were hospitalized because of the dog food, which was made by Diamond Pet Foods at its plant in Gaston, S.C., the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. No pets were sickened, according to the Meta, Mo.-based company.

"People who became ill, the thing that was common among them was that they had fed their pets Diamond Pet Foods," said CDC spokeswoman Lola Russell.

Three people each were infected in Missouri and North Carolina; two people in Ohio; and one person each in Alabama, Connecticut, Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia, the CDC said.

People can get salmonella by handling infected dog food, then not washing their hands before eating or handling their own food, health officials said.

The South Carolina plant temporarily was shut down April 8. Diamond Pet Foods has issued four rounds of recalls for food made at the plant, located outside of Columbia, S.C., between Dec. 9 and April 7. The latest recalls were announced Friday.

more

• 4 months later...

Thanks (Y) for the news.. I'll be sure not to get any peanut butter from Peanut Corp.. I don't have a dog :woot:

That's crazy how much of Peanut Corp. peanut butter is used by so many products...

I better stop eating dog food. Oh wait I thought those 14 ppl were eating dog food too? Dang that's not normal?

Depends on your situation. There are a few homeless people who have there dog with them on the streets and any penny they get goes to the dog for food!! My fiancee used to give some money to one guy a few years ago, and as soon as he got it he would go buy dog food with every last penny and when asked what he did for food he responded "my dog is all I have, as long as he is happy and healthy that is all thats's important, and if I get hungry I can eat the dog food"

I am rediculous OCD about my hands being clean after doing anything that could contaminate them. Mainly due to body modifications, but I cant feed my dog without having to wash my hands after