UK: Political Correctness gone mad! I am actually emb. to say i live in

Check this out:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1206987/Blacklisting-banned-Citizens-Advice-axes-offensive-word-tells-staff-use-blocklisting-instead.html

What an absolute JOKE!!! Another example is...

My daughter was told she could no longer sing "Bah bah black sheep" rhyme, it had to be ""Bah bah white sheep" or "Bah bah rainbow sheep" - told her to use the original, and if teachers had a problem they could come to me...not heard anything yet!!

Blacklist and Whitelist have been used for YEARS!!! Completely OTT!!

The only other one it was on was..The Sun...which is even worse than the Mail! - its just came out now about it, so it will be in others no doubt!

One of the forum members, Vice, said something to sum up The Sun before but it also applies to the Daily Mail. I don't remember the exact wording but the line summed up my entire thought about both papers: "If The Sun reported the sky was blue I'd go outside and double check". Neither of those papers is particularly reputable. Sure, political correctness on a crazy scale does exist but it's minority instead of the majority.

• Like 2

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6041197/Blacklisting-banned-over-fears-it-is-prejudice.html

Its now appearing on more and more sites, and i agree, them newspapers are complete crap! but the P.C in this country is getting to be a joke...its only just starting to become an issue but the things they have done already are pathetic!!

Even if it's true, I don't see what all the fuss is about. If people are offended by the word then there's no reason why they shouldn't try to change it. It's hardly a big deal.

Even if it's true, I don't see what all the fuss is about. If people are offended by the word then there's no reason why they shouldn't try to change it. It's hardly a big deal.

What irritates me is nearly all of these actions are done by people who are being offended on behalf of the people who might be offended by it. In reality the people aren't going to be offended. Like how can "Ba Ba Black Sheep" be offensive? It's about a black sheep and they actually exist.

They can stay offended as much as they like. Bending over to every whim by some self-appointed minority that gets offended will turn the world into one big boring place.

Also, if someone comes here and gets offended by things we like, they can go back - the door is that way.

• Like 2

I still never got over the fact that they are not allowed to call "black boards" in school, black boards. They now have to call them chalk boards.. because apparently it's racist or something to call it a black board.

Despite the fact it's a board, which is black. And that white boards, can be called white boards - and don't have to be called dry wipe boards.

I don't read the Daily Fail and I never will, nor do I read the crappy red-tops like the Sun - but there's no doubt the country has gone crazy in the last few years. It's a real shame.

• Like 2

UPDATED: 09:44, 24 August 2009

You should really double-check articles before posting them and going on a rant. That includes sources, BTW. The Daily Mail/Fail/Heil (take your pick) is not a credible source for anything; it's an extremely racist, right-wing load of bulls**t that thinks literally everything in the world gives you cancer. It's essentially the British equivalent of Fox News.

And that talk about not being able to sing "Bah Bah Black Sheep" anymore is BS too; I lead a music class for Foundation (4-5 years old) children every Friday, and we sang that song last week.

Even if it's true, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

That's just it. There is no fuss. Nobody gives a ****. It's just printed toilet paper distributors like the Daily Mail that try to stir up something out of nothing with these sort of stories.

Check this out:

http://www.dailymail...ng-instead.html

What an absolute JOKE!!! Another example is...

My daughter was told she could no longer sing "Bah bah black sheep" rhyme, it had to be ""Bah bah white sheep" or "Bah bah rainbow sheep" - told her to use the original, and if teachers had a problem they could come to me...not heard anything yet!!

Blacklist and Whitelist have been used for YEARS!!! Completely OTT!!

Have you actually checked the time and date the article you posted was last updated? 2009! The daily mail always quote anonymous sources without providing a shred of proof. More so when they put on stories about celebs with quotes from someone close to them. how can you believe this crap.

The only other reason I can see for you posting this is to start an inflamed debate.

They can stay offended as much as they like. Bending over to every whim by some self-appointed minority that gets offended will turn the world into one big boring place.

Also, if someone comes here and gets offended by things we like, they can go back - the door is that way.

While what you say may be valid before you pour your scorn on minorities like me, which is what the article is designed to lead you to do; how about you get angry with the generally white managers of such charities about making decisions that make minorities look bad when no one has complained? That's assuming the story was even true.

Edit: 2 seconds of googling found this:

A man who spends his time seeking out and decrying examples of political correctness is the source. Objective, I think you?ll agree, and I?m sure he was in full possession of all pertinent facts when Dan Bates called him for a quote.

In fairness to Mr Midgley, he couldn?t have been aware of the intricacies of the case because, in fact, our intrepid hack Daniel Bates wasn?t either. When we spoke to Citizen?s Advice, they told us that, actually, the word ?blacklisting? and variations thereof have not been banned at all, and that the whole story has a somewhat prosaic IT related explanation.

Far from being some meaningless new PC term, ?blocklisting? is actually a word commonly used in the IT industry referring to a list of blocked IP addresses or users. Apparently, the IT department at Citizen?s Advice issued a memo in July regarding spam emails, explaining that a number of them had been blacklisted. In reply, an employee pointed out that ?blocklisted? was probably a more appropriate word, and everybody forgot about the whole thing because it was really quite boring.

The ?offending? word was not ?banned?, and there was no communication or policy asking people to use ?blocklist? instead of ?blacklist?. Our contact was also keen to point out that, contrary to The Mail?s description, Citizen?s Advice is not a ?quango?, but a network of independent charities.

source: http://www.mailwatch...ss-not-correct/

I mean come on. This is stoking up anger for absolutely no reason gone made. WHAT AN ABSOLUTE JOKE

Edited by Stealthy_Singh

Using your logic:

I am offended by the word "that". It sounds like a similar word which has a W in it. Therefore we should stop using "that".

I am offended by the word "internet". The word doesn't accurately describe the product, therefore we shouldn't use it.

Anyone who is offended by a particular word can have it changed? No.

My kids will sing Baa Baa Black Sheep because sheep can have black coats. Yes, they can have white ones too and indeed are more common, but that's how the song goes.

Everyone understands blacklisting and it's not just used with technology. I can't see other countries taking this on, therefore it'll fizzle out soon enough.

Unfortunately, Black is seen as a dirty word compared with white. Whenever I use it I am never referring to a group of people whose colour skin is black. I appreciate others do, but we don't live in the 1930's anymore. White is always seen as clean... look at the typical example of a white t-shirt. You want it white IE not dirty right?

Should we ban films like Snow White then? That's got to be racist if you're using the same logic as the quoted newspaper.

Unfortunately, Black is seen as a dirty word compared with white. Whenever I use it I am never referring to a group of people whose colour skin is black. I appreciate others do, but we don't live in the 1930's anymore. White is always seen as clean... look at the typical example of a white t-shirt. You want it white IE not dirty right?

Black is only seen as a dirty word by busy body white people. No self respecting non white person would ever be offending by use of the word black when it's appropriate. Do you think we don't have a word for black in our language? Or if we do we only use it in hushed tones. Don't blame minorities for this.

If anyone has a problem here it's some white people who feel they have to 'protect' us minorities The funny thing is that's one of the worst racist things I reckon someone could think about me and people of my colour!

One of the forum members, Vice, said something to sum up The Sun before but it also applies to the Daily Mail. I don't remember the exact wording but the line summed up my entire thought about both papers: "If The Sun reported the sky was blue I'd go outside and double check". Neither of those papers is particularly reputable. Sure, political correctness on a crazy scale does exist but it's minority instead of the majority.

:D I did say that yeah.

This article is a great example as it is a complete fabrication. The CAB (the focus of this article) has not changed the wording from Blacklisting to Blocklisting. They are also not politically or governmentally linked, they are a private company. The Daily Mail just makes up so much stuff it's unreal.

They've had probably 10 front page cancer scare stories in the past 5 years. Scare mongering rag that isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

They've had probably 10 front page cancer scare stories in the past 5 years. Scare mongering rag that isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

They'll see that, and tomorrow's front-page is going to be written especially for you: "PAPER CAUSES CANCER", since it's the only thing they haven't yet declared war on. :p

Dammit I was going to use that line... :(

We've already been banned in the British Air Force from calling the Master & slave card configuration in various pieces of kit it's name. We have to call it "Primary & Secondary"