uk gone mad

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,930 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 19:41

No one wanted to change anything for racial sensitivity reasons. If you read the whole story you'll see that an IT professional just mentioned that in his opinion a blocklist would be a more technically correct term. Now I'm not one to judge if he's right or wrong because I don't know. But it had nothing to do with race just someone being pedantic and trying to look clever!

What I saw in the articles I read was that they did suggest blocklist was an appropriate word that was commonly used in IT, but that it was also more appropriate because of sensitivity reasons

For example,

The ban emerged in an e-mail to Yard IT staff from security services chief Brian Douglas. He wrote: "IB [Information Board] are uncomfortable with the use of the term whitelist [and I presume blacklist]. I am sure we can appreciate the sensitivity around the use of such terminology today so please ensure it is no longer used."

http://gulfnews.com/...klist-1.1020253 (also quoted at telegraph)

Sensitivity about what? What is he referring to?

And about the appropriateness --

He said: "This is not a change in policy. It is a change in internal ICT terminology which reflects a more appropriate use of language in a professional, policing environment."

http://www.telegraph...med-racist.html

What does the technical accuracy of the term have to do with a policing environment?

#47 Stealthy_Singh

Stealthy_Singh

Crazy Dentist

• 640 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 22:51

What I saw in the articles I read was that they did suggest blocklist was an appropriate word that was commonly used in IT, but that it was also more appropriate because of sensitivity reasons

For example,

http://gulfnews.com/...klist-1.1020253 (also quoted at telegraph)

Sensitivity about what? What is he referring to?

And about the appropriateness --

[/font][/color]
http://www.telegraph...med-racist.html

What does the technical accuracy of the term have to do with a policing environment?

Those stories have nothing to do with original story the OP put up. The issue with the police is different. They are still feeling the effects from the Macpherson report on institutional racism. That is an issue for them to sort out in their time. If you knew the history of the police esp Scotland yard in London pre Macpherson report and what the report put into the public then you would realise why they may be treading lightly. Either way I agree with you that the sensitivity issue is a non issue and people should continue to use the language they have as it hasn't really caused offence.

My main points are these:
1) The original story reported about the CAB - a charity (not a public body) that is free to do whatever it wants policy wise so long as it is legal. So no story there that wise or even about the whole sensitivity thing.

2) Minorities of which I am one don't really want this anyway. It's a non issue for us, so don't blame us. My main issue with the postings here is that we feel singled out when something is being done in our name by so called 'indigenous' people thinking they are doing the right thing. Throw your scorn at them.

3) As I said your stories about the police have a bit of context and you should look into that, and they have their own issues to sort out.

#48 OP Wyrdstorm

Wyrdstorm

IT_Dogsbody

• 189 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 12 May 2012 - 18:50

Got your PM. Will follow up on this. If I'm wrong I'll put my hands up. Just some info first please so I don't look like an idiot when I contact them. Who were the schools told this by?

Sorry i don't mean to be arsey - i was having a bad week!!! - NHS cutbacks causing more trouble in my job!!

From what i was told at parents evening - they have been told by the L.E.A, its one of a few things they were asked to do, however i cant remember off the top of my head the rest (they wernt in use in my kids class, it was higher years that it was for..)

The teachers themselves don't agree with it, but, they said they have to follow it as they were told by their employer, so i know its not their fault... (I would send names, but i don't want to get any teacher into trouble as they are really good teachers and my kid loves them!)