158 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys, I could not resist joining this forum to add my two cents. HPET made me go nutz, too.

HPET on/off making a significant difference is definitely NOT snake oil.

On my previous Win 7 build (DAW only), disabling HPET in BIOS & OS resulted in a DPC latency of comfortable 2 - 4 micro seconds. Before that, the latency rarely ever dropped below 130 micro seconds, which already has been quite good regarding the 270 which I

1 person likes this

Posted

I got this while enabling in OS.. Enabled from BIOS..

o5Rvh.png

I have same problem on windows 7 64bit

Runing as admin did not help me.

Plx some help :(

Posted

^ You need to elevate the command prompt. It won't work just because you are using administrator.

Posted

thread is 2 years old, still not a single proof or evidence that this works.

on the contrary, all the claims that this works makes me wonder what's the purpose of deceiving people into this?

Posted

thread is 2 years old, still not a single proof or evidence that this works.

on the contrary, all the claims that this works makes me wonder what's the purpose of deceiving people into this?

Personally, I think it is just the placebo effect instead of subterfuge in many cases. The wintimertest results are enough to convince folks that it must improve speed objectively everywhere. We aren't immune to such things by any means either. We might defrag an HDD and perceive the same thing to be honest. Tricks of the mind. It's similar to people who listen to uncompressed audio (versus XYZ compressed audio) and claim they can hear a difference, yet double blind studies show otherwise. Expectations are everything, huh?

Posted

It's similar to people who listen to uncompressed audio (versus XYZ compressed audio) and claim they can hear a difference, yet double blind studies show otherwise. Expectations are everything, huh?

well, i can listen to 128kbps audio file and find differences from the same uncompressed format; 320kbps, not so well. Buy i agree with you, even a defrag can make a subtle difference so this is more a placebo effect then anything.

1 person likes this

Posted

well, i can listen to 128kbps audio file and find differences from the same uncompressed format; 320kbps, not so well. Buy i agree with you, even a defrag can make a subtle difference so this is more a placebo effect then anything.

Well 128kbps is the questionable line afaik (or 192kbps -- depending on the compression algorithm). It's the higher bit rates where you can't perceive in double blind tests, yet, people claim otherwise.

Posted

Well 128kbps is the questionable line afaik (or 192kbps -- depending on the compression algorithm). It's the higher bit rates where you can't perceive in double blind tests, yet, people claim otherwise.

well, considering that when i was learning Java i made a small audio program that i could insert two filters:a low-pass and a high-pass; learned pretty quickly i was going to become deaf more faster then i expected lol

Posted

^ You need to elevate the command prompt. It won't work just because you are using administrator.

thx for helping but I'm still geting same message

start > cmd > open as admin

Posted

How do I disable it?

Can't find it in my bios....

I have a hp laptop.

Help!

Posted

How do I disable it?

Can't find it in my bios....

I have a hp laptop.

Help!

You don't, If your computer came with Windows, it's already optimized for the hardware.

Posted

But it should be in bios!

Why is it not?

Posted

But it should be in bios!

Why is it not?

Your laptop is probably too new (pretty sure mine doesn't have it either). The only good reason to have the option in the bios was during the early years when the actual hardware implementations weren't well tested or supported.

Posted

Your laptop is probably too new (pretty sure mine doesn't have it either). The only good reason to have the option in the bios was during the early years when the actual hardware implementations weren't well tested or supported.

Do you know any other method that reduces lag and improves gaming?

Posted

generally there's only one solution for that. better hardware. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Do you know any other method that reduces lag and improves gaming?

Well you can still force only HPET in Windows (as was outlined here in the first post) using step 2 if your laptop supports it (you just can't turn it off/on in the bios). Note, I am not saying this will improve your performance (I don't believe it will).

Posted

Well you can still force only HPET in Windows (as was outlined here in the first post) using step 2 if your laptop supports it (you just can't turn it off/on in the bios). Note, I am not saying this will improve your performance (I don't believe it will).

Can't find that 2nd step... :(

Posted

Can't find that 2nd step... :(

Huh, it's in the first post?

Posted

For many years already my HD never scream.  After turn this on:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

I heard my hard drive screaming.  I mean it has never make any noise before.  So yeah I think I will need to get a new hard drive to back up my data soon and then get back to it's original setting... not turning on the HPET that is.

Posted

HardBag (or anyone else here),

How do I check the BCD on what's the current setting of useplatformclock, before making any changes to the BCD?

BTW, I have checked my system to see if Invariant TSC is supported or not. Says it's supported.

So does that mean I don't need to edit my BCD?

For those who don't know how to check, here's how:

1. Open AIDA64 -> Motherboard -> CPUID
2. Look for the field "Invariant Time Stamp Counter", and check whether it's supported or not.

Posted

HardBag (or anyone else here),

How do I check the BCD on what's the current setting of useplatformclock, before making any changes to the BCD?

BTW, I have checked my system to see if Invariant TSC is supported or not. Says it's supported.

So does that mean I don't need to edit my BCD?

For those who don't know how to check, here's how:

1. Open AIDA64 -> Motherboard -> CPUID
2. Look for the field "Invariant Time Stamp Counter", and check whether it's supported or not.

For the first question: type 'bcdedit' on the command line. 'useplatformclock' will appear under the Windows Boot Loader section if it set.

For the second question: the TSC is completely separate from the HPET timer. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Stamp_Counter. The invariant version of the TSC is an updated version of the TSC on newer processors:

17.13.1 Invariant TSC

The time stamp counter in newer processors may support an enhancement, referred to as invariant TSC. 

Processor

Posted

Snaphat & acemod13,

Thanks for the info.

Posted

and what are the avg increase in fps ?

Posted

So... which ones are best?

without

6q57UeQGd9LcwRILNmLw1p5GVX0Na.jpg

with

6q58eSO1ErgfHYfF34We93t0Lu7kI.jpg

(2,33843/14,31818)*100 = 16,33189413738338

this means get 16% better cpu performance or fps?