Photo

This guy hand-forged his own wedding ring. OUT OF A METEORITE.

wedding ring hand forged meteorite

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,264 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 23:48

Me next.

#17 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 3,849 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 09 May 2012 - 23:51

I would be concerned about what metals are in that meteorite. If you're going to wear it, it's going to be in contact with your skin for a very long time. Also, if it's iron... rust.

The question is: Would his fiance prefer this over a gold diamond ring?

Sounds like the ring is for himself, not her.

You're right, diamond rings are not for weeding, that's a gold band, but still...

I've seen plenty of people with diamonds on their wedding band - commonly channel set. It depends on your taste. Obviously no center stone.

#18 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 7,808 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 09 May 2012 - 23:55

Lucky lady. Good thing I'm not getting married any time soon because I'd just get her one of these..

Posted Image

#19 Tom

Tom

Neowinian Senior

• 3,274 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 23:56

I will never be as cool as this guy.

#20 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,943 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 00:06

I'd wager that pretty much any woman on the planet would prefer a wedding band that their husband crafted themselves over something bought from a store.

#21 nominak

nominak

Neowinian Senior

• 3,159 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 00:10

The question is: Would his fiance prefer this over a gold diamond ring?

If it were my fiance, and she would prefer a gold ring w or wo diamonds.. she wouldn't be my fiance for too long... Hand forged ring out of a meteorite. That's dedication. That's got more sentimental value than a silly gold ring.

#22 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 10 May 2012 - 00:12

That looks so.... so... Skyrim forgery... hahaha :D

#23 vetsanctified

sanctified

A promise to myself: to be harder, to not care, to be cool.

• 20,553 posts
  • Phone: ..

Posted 10 May 2012 - 00:22

If it were my fiance, and she would prefer a gold ring w or wo diamonds.. she wouldn't be my fiance for too long... Hand forged ring out of a meteorite. That's dedication. That's got more sentimental value than a silly gold ring.

And I would agree. However most women tend to romanticize weedings since their youth. If something deviates from that idealization drama will spill.

#24 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,264 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 00:27

hope he didn't transfer some of his power into the ring...making that the One Ring :)

#25 mokthraka

mokthraka

Neowinian Senior

• 3,682 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:50

How do you know?

You're right, diamond rings are not for weeding, that's a gold band, but still...

because, he posted it to reddit like a week ago?

#26 mokthraka

mokthraka

Neowinian Senior

• 3,682 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:51

I would be concerned about what metals are in that meteorite. If you're going to wear it, it's going to be in contact with your skin for a very long time. Also, if it's iron... rust.
Sounds like the ring is for himself, not her.

I've seen plenty of people with diamonds on their wedding band - commonly channel set. It depends on your taste. Obviously no center stone.

I think he knows what he is doing, considering he was able to verify it was a meteor

#27 vetAndrew Lyle

Andrew Lyle

Don't Panic!

• 31,903 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:58

Now that's 'Winning'.

#28 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:00

I read about this on Reddit last week and was really impressed. So impressed, I want one for my wedding band. I know I wont be able to make my own, but there are sites to buy them from... though if you know anything about the price of meteorites... they aren't cheap.
What I really liked on the Reddit post though was in the comments. People were asking him what elements were in it. He stated the iron and other elements, then said ," and about 10% unknown trace elements". To which then a poster replied.... " any chance those unknown elements could be toxic or somehow absorbed through the skin over the years of wearing it? " The OP then says, " Damn, never thought about that... but now I will check. " Just makes you wonder if there actually is anything that could be in one of those rocks that someone doesn't fully test out........

#29 mokthraka

mokthraka

Neowinian Senior

• 3,682 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:18

I read about this on Reddit last week and was really impressed. So impressed, I want one for my wedding band. I know I wont be able to make my own, but there are sites to buy them from... though if you know anything about the price of meteorites... they aren't cheap.
What I really liked on the Reddit post though was in the comments. People were asking him what elements were in it. He stated the iron and other elements, then said ," and about 10% unknown trace elements". To which then a poster replied.... " any chance those unknown elements could be toxic or somehow absorbed through the skin over the years of wearing it? " The OP then says, " Damn, never thought about that... but now I will check. " Just makes you wonder if there actually is anything that could be in one of those rocks that someone doesn't fully test out........

wasnt it if it was radioactive materials? he said he used a Geiger counter

#30 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:25

wasnt it if it was radioactive materials? he said he used a Geiger counter

I'm certainly no radiologist or chemist or anything with a degree :p So maybe someone else can help.. It may not be radioactive materials but just materials that aren't good when in constant contact with human or any skin, which can toxify the blood.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!