Photo

Challenge/Experiment: Can You Turn off Aero in Windows 8?

win8 win7

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#16 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 May 2012 - 20:41

Simple answer: You don't.

It has been said that the "classic" UI code has been removed. This is why the Start Menu is literally impossible to bring back. The code simply isn't there.

#17 vetsanctified

sanctified

A promise to myself: to be harder, to not care, to be cool.

• Phone: ..

Posted 10 May 2012 - 20:50

Since this is an experiment... what happens if you copy Windows 7 dwm over Windows 8's one?

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 10 May 2012 - 20:55

Renaming dwm.exe to dwm.exe.bak caused the black screen above, and even renaming it back to dwm.exe from recovery mode > command prompt didn't fix it - had to refresh the OS via the DVD

Since this is an experiment... what happens if you copy Windows 7 dwm over Windows 8's one?

I`ll find out in a min :D

#19 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 10 May 2012 - 20:57

gogogogogogo VMWARE!!!!

#20 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 10 May 2012 - 21:02

So, Microsoft's claim that Aero has to run on advanced graphics hardware during the vista days was a lie? Sinofsky has disproven Vista dev team.

Hardly. It still requires advanced graphics hardware. The prevalance of driver support is the only thing that has changed since most (except ATI) dragged anchor in getting their drivers stable and released.

Frankly, this is one aspect of Win8 that drives me nuts. Its built to run on low performance slates so you would assume dropping in on some older desktops/laptops would be no brainer. Until you realize that what ever Aero mode it turns on is unusably slow, I assume because it currently doesn't check for 'certified' devices.

As for turning it off, I would be quite surprised if you can.

#21 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 10 May 2012 - 21:02

So, it seems that if you try to get rid of Aero, you break the entire OS and see nothing but black...hmm. So, does this mean there is absolutely no way to run "Windows Basic" mode on Windows 8? In other words, with Vista and 7, the OS would fall back to the basic mode, but in 8, the OS doesn't have anything to fall back to and just dies.

So, this bring up another question. Microsoft says that any Win7 PC can run Win8. Microsoft said in the past that any Windows Vista PC could run Win7. Thus, I assumed that any Vista PC could run 8. But now it seems that Vista PC that could only run Windows Basic might not be able to run Windows 8 at all.

And for those of you trying this on a VM, remember to make a snap shot of your OS so you don't have to waste time reinstall Win8 again if the OS breaks.

#22 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 10 May 2012 - 21:09

gogogogogogo VMWARE!!!!

So, it seems that if you try to get rid of Aero, you break the entire OS and see nothing but black...hmm. So, does this mean there is absolutely no way to run "Windows Basic" mode on Windows 8? In other words, with Vista and 7, the OS would fall back to the basic mode, but in 8, the OS doesn't have anything to fall back to and just dies.

So, this bring up another question. Microsoft says that any Win7 PC can run Win8. Microsoft said in the past that any Windows Vista PC could run Win7. Thus, I assumed that any Vista PC could run 8. But now it seems that Vista PC that could only run Windows Basic might not be able to run Windows 8 at all.

Renaming DWM.exe and rebooting has killed the OS, I refreshed the OS which gave me back the desktop, soon as I installed VMWare tools Im back to a black screen after boot

If I hit Ctrl, Alt, Insert it turns purple, hit space or enter it turns black again, so I guess its logging me out and in each time but I cant see anything

#23 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 10 May 2012 - 21:11

But now it seems that Vista PC that could only run Windows Basic might not be able to run Windows 8 at all.

That is consistent with my testing, except right now it can, just incredibly slowly.

#24 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 21:15

is this that "vista sticker" thing all over again???

#25 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 10 May 2012 - 21:15

Renaming DWM.exe and rebooting has killed the OS, I refreshed the OS which gave me back the desktop, soon as I installed VMWare tools Im back to a black screen after boot

If I hit Ctrl, Alt, Insert it turns purple, hit space or enter it turns black again, so I guess its logging me out and in each time but I cant see anything

I recommend making a snapshot of the stable OS before experimenting. If something goes wrong, you can easily get back to the snapshot and a stable OS. This saves you the time to reinstall the entire OS.

#26 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 21:18

I recommend making a snapshot of the stable OS before experimenting. If something goes wrong, you can easily get back to the snapshot and a stable OS. This saves you the time to reinstall the entire OS.

vmware workstation FTW!!

#27 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 May 2012 - 21:41

I said this above: NO. The code for it is literally gone. Impossible to trigger something that's not there anymore.

#28 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 10 May 2012 - 22:01

Good plan :D Reinstalled 8, can experiment again now

EDIT - Installing vmware tools kills the display again... not sure whats going on this is a clean install

EDIT - Fixed, I had unchecked accelerate 3D Graphics in vmware settings

#29 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 22:36

why would vmware do that to you???

#30 Ently

Ently

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 May 2012 - 22:42

<snip>
Posted Image

Where's the start button?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!