DayZ for Arma II

Well died last night after about 15+ hours of surviving.

Was mid country making routes of Deer Stands trying to find NVG/Mil weps. After doing it for about 2 days and only getting a UMP ( looked like an Uzi ), and Mil Flashlight. I decided to head south to Electro as a dude named SirSwifty died in a group that seemed newer then I was, I needed a blood transfusion and upon meeting up @ electro power station he got jumped by zombies and got lower blood then I did. Suffice to say I reached the power station before he did and after he threw a flair in the field and I directed him to the vicinity. We saw another flair get thrown in the power station itself, so we knew we weren't alone. With nobody announcing they were in Electro with us we knew anybody else were bandits.

It was night so getting in and around town was easy, first we hit the hospital. Found a Clapton of blood packs as well as bandages, painkillers and other useful stuff. After that we hit the church where I found binoc's, and he got a Winchester as well as 1911. After breaking there for a bit we were going to hit the store to see if I could fida scoped rifle before I would head back in country. But leaving the church I saw a tent and immediately dropped. ( there was nothing inside ).

We saw a building across the tent and thinking it was the store crawled in. It wasn't the store. But in the first and second story I did find a compass, matches, watch and all kinds of useful stuff. There was a couple canteens but because I already had 4 ( I find using canteens better as its more garanteed to find water source then cans of soda ).

about the time we were going to leave a flair went up about a block away. Was getting ready to tell swiftly we needed to leave when immediately another flair went on ground outside the building on the street. We bunkered down watching out windows. Saw a glimpse of the person on the 2nd story building that looked like the store ( our destination ) so we chilled, watching. While watching 2 zombies snuck up behind us, i shot it @ the stairs. Swifty shot after but because it was a good second or more and he missed hitting the half wall overlooking the stairs. I thought it was the person throwing flairs. Scared the crap out of me. After announcing in general chat " Electro 2nd Story building, Friend Or Foe " with no answer I figured it was a bandit. Then saw him on the roof, " Electro Roof, Friend Or Foe " , still no answer. Yea he was a bandit, and after a good haul after got in town, I wanted to get away.

The bandit got back to the second floor along again, and was looking around. I asked again in chat just to be shure. No answer. Poped off a round with Winchester and got a headshot it looked like but wasn't shure. Next thing I know a flair is thrown in the doorway of the building, lighting up everything. I was inching to stairs when we heard him dowstairs in a crouched walk. I put sights on the stairs as I knew that's where he would be.

For a couple seconds didn't hear anything, then all of a sudden started hearing somebody verry slowly come up stairs. There was a Zombie Body at the top of the stairs so it was blocking a good portion of the view. I pulled out my Uzi ( should have kept the Winchester drawn looking back ). By the time I inched around looking down the stairs, I saw the bandit. Immediately fired off 3 rounds with the Uzi, I should have held it down for constant spray, but some reason I didn't. 3 rounds didn't down the bandit. He fired off 1 or 2 quick shots with his Winchester and I was down. Follows by the bandit over chat " I got you bit** " ( and this attitude is why I don't like many people )

After I respawned I read over chat that SirSwifty heard my Uzi going off, and went to investigate in the hallway, and saw the bandit over my body ( looting me more likely ). SirSwifty proceeded to shoot him with his Winchester and killed the bandit. Suffice to say that raised SirSwifty's moral a lot. SirSwifty said he was guarding my body so I could get my stuff back, but my controls were hosed after I died, wouldn't pull out gun, kept throwing flairs when I fired, wouldn't run.

I figured I wasn't going to make it even though I respawned outside of Electro. While enroute I ended up aggro img a couple zombies due to controls and ran as best I could ( surprisingly the controls started working then) but aggroing those aggroed more. Made it to the building we were camped in while the bandit was near us, but I had a crap ton of zombies. Ran in the building as they can't run indoors, but I didn't go upstairs as didn't have enough time to announce I was in building so I knew Swifty was doing to blow me away thinking I was the bandit again ( apparently the bandit or somebody else tried again ). So I ran in another room and started firing as much as I could with limited ammo and pistol. Yea didn't happen. I died. When I respawned Swifty said he heard a lot of gunshots downstairs followed by getting eaten. Told Swifty to go ahead and loot what he wants from body as I respawned to far to make it in time.

my buddy was telling me about this.. saw I could get Arma II on steam for 30$.. my question is.. is it worth it? Like is it exciting/intense enough to keep you entertained? I have many games I am playing.. but I find I burn them out too quickly.

I'm doing a new gaming build and this is one of the reasons why. I've been reading players' stories and experiences - so cool. I've already bought Arma II on Steam so its just sitting there in my Games list teasing me.

Well died last night after about 15+ hours of surviving.

Was mid country making routes of Deer Stands trying to find NVG/Mil weps. After doing it for about 2 days and only getting a UMP ( looked like an Uzi ), and Mil Flashlight. I decided to head south to Electro as a dude named SirSwifty died in a group that seemed newer then I was, I needed a blood transfusion and upon meeting up @ electro power station he got jumped by zombies and got lower blood then I did. Suffice to say I reached the power station before he did and after he threw a flair in the field and I directed him to the vicinity. We saw another flair get thrown in the power station itself, so we knew we weren't alone. With nobody announcing they were in Electro with us we knew anybody else were bandits.

It was night so getting in and around town was easy, first we hit the hospital. Found a Clapton of blood packs as well as bandages, painkillers and other useful stuff. After that we hit the church where I found binoc's, and he got a Winchester as well as 1911. After breaking there for a bit we were going to hit the store to see if I could fida scoped rifle before I would head back in country. But leaving the church I saw a tent and immediately dropped. ( there was nothing inside ).

We saw a building across the tent and thinking it was the store crawled in. It wasn't the store. But in the first and second story I did find a compass, matches, watch and all kinds of useful stuff. There was a couple canteens but because I already had 4 ( I find using canteens better as its more garanteed to find water source then cans of soda ).

about the time we were going to leave a flair went up about a block away. Was getting ready to tell swiftly we needed to leave when immediately another flair went on ground outside the building on the street. We bunkered down watching out windows. Saw a glimpse of the person on the 2nd story building that looked like the store ( our destination ) so we chilled, watching. While watching 2 zombies snuck up behind us, i shot it @ the stairs. Swifty shot after but because it was a good second or more and he missed hitting the half wall overlooking the stairs. I thought it was the person throwing flairs. Scared the crap out of me. After announcing in general chat " Electro 2nd Story building, Friend Or Foe " with no answer I figured it was a bandit. Then saw him on the roof, " Electro Roof, Friend Or Foe " , still no answer. Yea he was a bandit, and after a good haul after got in town, I wanted to get away.

The bandit got back to the second floor along again, and was looking around. I asked again in chat just to be shure. No answer. Poped off a round with Winchester and got a headshot it looked like but wasn't shure. Next thing I know a flair is thrown in the doorway of the building, lighting up everything. I was inching to stairs when we heard him dowstairs in a crouched walk. I put sights on the stairs as I knew that's where he would be.

For a couple seconds didn't hear anything, then all of a sudden started hearing somebody verry slowly come up stairs. There was a Zombie Body at the top of the stairs so it was blocking a good portion of the view. I pulled out my Uzi ( should have kept the Winchester drawn looking back ). By the time I inched around looking down the stairs, I saw the bandit. Immediately fired off 3 rounds with the Uzi, I should have held it down for constant spray, but some reason I didn't. 3 rounds didn't down the bandit. He fired off 1 or 2 quick shots with his Winchester and I was down. Follows by the bandit over chat " I got you bit** " ( and this attitude is why I don't like many people )

After I respawned I read over chat that SirSwifty heard my Uzi going off, and went to investigate in the hallway, and saw the bandit over my body ( looting me more likely ). SirSwifty proceeded to shoot him with his Winchester and killed the bandit. Suffice to say that raised SirSwifty's moral a lot. SirSwifty said he was guarding my body so I could get my stuff back, but my controls were hosed after I died, wouldn't pull out gun, kept throwing flairs when I fired, wouldn't run.

I figured I wasn't going to make it even though I respawned outside of Electro. While enroute I ended up aggro img a couple zombies due to controls and ran as best I could ( surprisingly the controls started working then) but aggroing those aggroed more. Made it to the building we were camped in while the bandit was near us, but I had a crap ton of zombies. Ran in the building as they can't run indoors, but I didn't go upstairs as didn't have enough time to announce I was in building so I knew Swifty was doing to blow me away thinking I was the bandit again ( apparently the bandit or somebody else tried again ). So I ran in another room and started firing as much as I could with limited ammo and pistol. Yea didn't happen. I died. When I respawned Swifty said he heard a lot of gunshots downstairs followed by getting eaten. Told Swifty to go ahead and loot what he wants from body as I respawned to far to make it in time.

Damn, thats nuts! When you say the bandit followed with "I got you ****", does this mean bandits are other human players? The only CPU player is the zombies, correct? Also, are you able to join in with friends when you spawn or does everyone spawn at random points?

Damn, thats nuts! When you say the bandit followed with "I got you ****", does this mean bandits are other human players? The only CPU player is the zombies, correct? Also, are you able to join in with friends when you spawn or does everyone spawn at random points?

From what I've read/seen:

Bandits = PvPers, people that kill other people more than X number of times. I don't know the exact number. The only NPCs are the Zombies.

All players spawn at different locations, there are also no names above/near the players so finding friends and such is difficult (using voip is the only sure way).

Yes bandits are other human players, the only difference between a survivor / bandit is play style, or boredom level. A survivor can be a bandit just by shooting another player for their stuff, but they are also surviving in a different way.

There is no way to tell a bandit from a survivor, a survivor could say he was a bandit so others would give them a wide birth, or a bandit could say they are survivor to lure victims.

It is all in all, Humanity

Ok, I'll bite. I got a free copy of the full Arma 2 from Green Man Gaming awhile back so I'm curious. For someone who doesn't like hardcore realism, will I find any enjoyment in DayZ at all?

Also, is there a Neowin group or something, to survive together etc?

Ok, I'll bite. I got a free copy of the full Arma 2 from Green Man Gaming awhile back so I'm curious. For someone who doesn't like hardcore realism, will I find any enjoyment in DayZ at all?

No Neowin group that I know of. Ans if you dont like hardcore realism, you might not like it. You can bleed out, break bones from falls, get sick and die from cold or infection.

It's more realistic then any game if seen. I usually don't like realistic simulations of ground combat, but I like Arma2 DayZ, and will get Arma3 if DayZ is moved to it

*also you WILL need 1 or both of the last 2 maps I posted, the map is so large you will get lost without it.

You'll need Operation Arrowhead to play DayZ too. Not just ArmA II.

It is realistic to a point but once you're used to the game mechanics it is quite easy to get on with. The difficulty is surviving and staying out of trouble because if you die, you lose everything and start from scratch. If you find a group then it is quite easy to survive for long periods.

The game is persistant too, so it will save your position and inventory on logging out so when you log back in, you'll start from the same position. This works across any server too.

I have mentioned in here about starting a Neowin group but no one seems that interested. I have played a few times with Scazza though but we usually spawn so far away, it takes forever to meet up in it. I'm like Bear Grylls now though, i always know where i am haha

You'll need Operation Arrowhead to play DayZ too. Not just ArmA II.

Site says you need Combined Operations, not operation arrowhead.

Requirements:

• ArmA II: CO
  • DayZ Mod Files (Available on the downloads page)
  • Balls

Combined Ops is Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead in the same pack.

I got Arma 2 free and bought OA and it works fine.

I hate to say it because I like teamwork, but every time I meetup with somebody I come across, they end up getting me killed.

Was doing another deer stand run and found an AK. Then I heard gunshots in the vicinity of the previous stand I was at farther down the tree line. Hightailed it away and still within sight of the stand entrance. Suffice to say some bloke went to it and grabbed the rifle I dumped there. He ended up coming at an angle to me, but will about 30m away. He didn't see me, I was prone under a tree, but still had the AK at the ready.

So after asking if friend or foe, I trusted he was telling the truth when he said friend..... I should have went my merry way.

Went across a field on the outskirts of a town, but still somewhat in cover, next thing I know dude booking full charge within sight of a zombie, and aggros it. He shoots it with the Winchester, aggros more. Im crouched a bit away and ATM safe. But being me, I rush and help out. I think a good % of the town came and as a result I ran out of AK ammo.

The dude just full on sprints wherever, not playing stealthy bla bla bla. Find a couple more deer blinds and replaces my empty AK with a Found M16A2 and 3 Mag's. While enroute to a grocery store we head to a watering spot so we can drink and fill canteens. Because there are zombies nearby I tell the dude to fill it and Stay Prone ( he hasn't so far and almost gotten us seen previously ).

He doesn't, and aggros a zombie on other side of the wall, we go into a barn where I see a crossbow, I wanted to kill the zombie with the crossbow instead of the Eifle due to being silent.

I pick up the crossbow, but due to a bug, the Rifle is forever gone. It didn't swap places with the crossbow.... I was mad.

The cross bow only had 1 shot and only other thing was a Lee Einfield, the weapon of Hades.

Suffice to say the Einfield was only other option, which aggroed the entire countryside as expected. But knew I was going to die anyway due to loosing rifle and only having 1 crossbow bolt ( usually takes more then 1 bolt to kill zombie ive seen ).

Tried to respawned but was stuck at " waiting for server response " for a while, so just gave up and logged off.

I'd be down for a group of Neowin to form and run, I only have 1 requirement, and that is Stealth. This game isn't for Rambo Wannabes

Any free offers going on for Arma 2 anywhere?

I read somewhere on the forums that you can use Arma2Free and Paid version of Arrowhead if that's what you were looking for. I know there are a couple contests to win a copy, will have to recheck if they are still active and where though

I'd be down for a group of Neowin to form and run, I only have 1 requirement, and that is Stealth. This game isn't for Rambo Wannabes

That is pretty much how i play. I don't think i get off the ground when in towns. Only crouching to go through doors as the last time i crawled through one it broke my legs.

Any free offers going on for Arma 2 anywhere?

You can use ArmA II Free but you'll need to buy Operation Arrowhead which i think in most places is about $10.

That is pretty much how i play. I don't think i get off the ground when in towns. Only crouching to go through doors as the last time i crawled through one it broke my legs.

Same here, and because of it I have rarely had to fire a single shot.

You can use ArmA II Free but you'll need to buy Operation Arrowhead which i think in most places is about $10.

OA cost me 20$ on Steam. But I got Arma II Free and seems to work fine with DayZ

Debating picking up Arma 2 combined ops just for this. Should I?

I did, and I don't regret it so far. But IMO do what I did, and read as much as you can about DayZ, lurk the forums, and watch videos of guides/plays? Because you may get it, and not like it

Also remember this is alpha, and the creator , Rocket, as flat out said to people moaning about different aspects to STFU, literally.

so I played about 15 mins and realized I am a horrible shot. I also find the blur looking around to kind of be annoying. Running with Arma II Free, and OA (full) and it works well. Some of the textures are crappy but that's cuz I didn't spend the extra 10$ for full Arma II.