DayZ for Arma II

I just tried the standalone too. They really need to do something about the mouse acceleration. Its hands down the worst mouse experience I've ever had in a pc game, ever. Has a horrific combination of insane input lag, and tons of negative mouse acceleration, AND the mouse acceleration itself isn't even consistent, its totally different on the x and y axis. There's an option in the settings for mouse acceleration but it does nothing.

Second Character i had a good run, Map, compass, M4 with silencer, pistol and lots of supplys and bits. After running around the map for a while i headed north lone ranger style, encountered a chap who wouldn't play nice with his axe so i killed him and stole a mask and food, then continued north. Found the airport and topped up supplys, made my way to 044,045 where two chaps were being shot at and taking shelter inside, went outside to be sniped from afar... Never found any ammo for the guns.....

The mouse accel is horrible I agree but you obviously didnt play much of the mod if you think the zombies are the same now! They've made such a huge improvement, they actually walk towards you now and dont zigzag horribly. They are slow but they hit hard and they only actually hurt you when they do their attack animation. They used to hurt you in the mod without even swinging at you.

You can actually shoot them and take them out melee now since they move as they should. There aren't a lot of them for now though for performance reasons. They said they will add more and more as the game becomes more optimized.

I am enjoying the standalone much more than the mod, it feels much more solid and I think its going to be great.

My main gripe so far is that loot is only spawned once when the server starts and with the low amounts of loot (also for performance) it makes finding good loot very hard.

Lastly, bandages are in the game. You can rip up any t-shirt / shirt into rags which are used as a bandage or you can find first aid kits with bandages in them.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Just played a couple of Hours standalone Dayz.

Of course as its beta its missing items, Bandages, Flares, Tents, Some Weapons , Animals ,Vehicles,Vehicle parts, Barricades are some i can think of. The Zombies are VERY rare, i saw less than 10 in total, they still sound the same and move the same. The game generally is the same as the Mod, sounds, map seems similar but there are new buildings, some old buildings which had items now don't, some have doors which they didn't before and more buildings are accessible. I played on a 40 man server and ran north, 2 chaps i ran in to at the Radio Tower allowed me to pass, further north at another encounter someone with an m4 tried to shoot me, but was taken down by another chap also with an m4, so generally its been friendly.

Ive had no game crashes, just 80secs no connection errors which can set you back.

Bandages definitely exist. I've come across them on their own or inside First Aid packs.