Is MS is still evil?

Amiga, Commodore, Sinclair, Acorn, IBM, Apple. These were around before Microsoft.

Where you see fragmentation, I see choice.

Apple uses and contributes a lot of FOSS code. Ever heard of Webkit? OS X and GNU/Linux have a lot in common.

I think you need to look at your history books again. Apple's financial difficulties were caused by Microsoft. Microsoft copied Apple's OS verbatim and licensed it cheaply to IBM and other IBM clone manufacturers.

Because all Windows drivers are proprietary. It promotes closed hardware and closed software.

All that aside bull**** aside you are probaly on Windows right now

All that aside bull**** aside you are probaly on Windows right now

Nope. Arch Linux:

$ uname -a
Linux arch 3.3.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 7 19:57:51 CEST 2012 x86_64 Intel? Core?2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Where you see fragmentation, I see choice.

I'm all for choice and all that... but why is it wrong when somebody chooses Microsoft? Seems to be a lot of "we're all pro-choice... as long as you pick what we choose."

I think you need to look at your history books again. Apple's financial difficulties were caused by Microsoft. Microsoft copied Apple's OS verbatim and licensed it cheaply to IBM and other IBM clone manufacturers.

Ok, I'll bite. Which OS exactly did Microsoft copy "verbatim" from Apple? And I hate to point it out, but isn't the Linux community guilty of doing the exact same thing when they copied Unix verbatim? I guess Microsoft and GNU/Linux have a lot in common too.

Because all Windows drivers are proprietary. It promotes closed hardware and closed software.

That's just untrue, there are some open source drivers out there, and Microsoft even provides a Driver Development Kit to get you started on making your own. Not many open source ones, granted... that's up to the hardware manufacturers, not Microsoft.

Linux arch 3.3.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 7 19:57:51 CEST 2012 x86_64 Intel? Core?2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux[/code]

I'll give you a +1 for Arch, my favorite distro. ;)

Nope. Arch Linux:

$ uname -a
Linux arch 3.3.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 7 19:57:51 CEST 2012 x86_64 Intel? Core?2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

ya but what was your first OS and if it was linux you are a rare person indeed...

It's no longer "cool" to hate MS but now its the "in" thing to hate apple. Goes in phases, in 4 more years it will be "cool" to hate android. I hate teens. :)

The people that "hate" Microsoft are usually the type of people that thinks it is "cool" to side with a company... which is exactly what the competition aims to do and it's silly. Brand loyalty is what most companies aim for as it makes their bank accounts grow and if they aren't promoting their own they are trying to destroy the image of another.

Microsoft is a good company in the sense that they seem to care about their users, provide excellent customer service (every time I have had to deal with them they have been very nice), they make good hardware and great software (I can guarantee most of you are using Windows right now or at least own A copy) but they are not without their flaws... e.g. Windows ME, Vista, (maybe) Windows 8 and so on.

So yeah companies may have evil tactics but until they start kidnapping and torturing people and murdering innocent people I will assume they aren't evil :p

My error I should have quoted from a newer press release

January 30, 2012

For years, it?s been easy to praise Google for being a friend to open source, while vilifying Microsoft for keeping its distance from free software. But as a web service, Google was in a very different position from Microsoft, a company that reached its heights selling shrink-wrapped boxes of code. Now, Microsoft is also a web company. It?s becoming more like Google ? in more ways than one.

Yes, Microsoft is demanding ? and in many cases, receiving ? royalties from companies selling devices that run Android, an operating system based on Linux. This shows that its place in the world remains complicated. Though it?s moving to the web, it is still very much a company that makes money selling software ? and it still has an interest in protecting this business. But these battles aren?t always what they seem. Android isn?t as much an open source project as a Google project.

The world is not black and white. And neither is the world of software. Not everyone realizes this. But Bill Gates did. And Microsoft is the better for it.

http://www.wired.com...eet-bill-gates/

January 12, 2012 10:27 AM

Microsoft said Thursday that it has reached a deal with LG under which the South Korean electronics manufacturer will pay license fees in exchange for Microsoft's pledge not to sue it for using Google's Android and Chrome OS software in its products.

Financial details of the agreement were not revealed. Microsoft has long maintained that certain components of Android and Chrome OS violate its patents, and has struck licensing deals with numerous vendors that use the Google mobile and desktop software in their gadgets.

http://www.informati..._news/232400234
06/28/11 5:00 AM PT Defense contractor General Dynamics Itronix has agreed to pay Microsoft licensing fees in order to avoid possible trouble over the contractor's use of Android in some of its products.
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/72758.html

It's no longer "cool" to hate MS but now its the "in" thing to hate apple. Goes in phases, in 4 more years it will be "cool" to hate android. I hate teens. :)

don't everyone hate teens? :p

what bothered me was, in the early days of MS, Bill Gates stated that, We users would pirate their software anyways. I've always held that against him. assuming we were all pirating.

So yeah companies may have evil tactics but until they start kidnapping and torturing people and murdering innocent people I will assume they aren't evil :p

Don't watch the film Antitrust then lol.

Use their software or not. To label them "evil" is juvenile. Do you perhaps have an opinion in the same sense having to do with Apple, Linux, etc? Give it up it's a pointless argument. They have all given us unique individual experiences.

I never said that i "think" MS is evil, Im just using the language FOSS guys use. and i just wanted people's opinion on that. To me, Apple and google are far more evil today than MS was IMO.

Did they ever rape your cat and took your kitty? If you don't like something, don't buy pirate it.

Nope, i dont have a kitty. I love MS, and im saying last time that i dont think MS is evil, im just using "FOSS guys language for Thread Title".

huh 2007, what age are you :p sorry ha

20, was 15 when i got my first PC.

poor always blame rich. why does new bies opt for MS or find it easier? a simple question LINUX peeps hav to anser.......btw i dont hate LINUX.

why does new bies opt for MS or find it easier? a simple question LINUX peeps hav to anser.......btw i dont hate LINUX.

Because Windows comes preinstalled on almost every new PC? It's not out of choice they use MS software, it's that they are forced to. That's the crux of it. Without that OEM monopoly, many more people probably would be using GNU/Linux. Although the initial netbook deployment of Linux was poorly planned, it goes to show how vulnerable Microsoft's position is. They had to effectively give away XP to prevent Linux from dominating.

And what's even more interesting is Ubuntu's rise among OEM's. It's expected to ship on 5% of all PC's worldwide next year. Quite an achievement. Had manufacturers united under Ubuntu for the first netbooks I'm sure we'd have a different market today.

Amiga, Commodore, Sinclair, Acorn, IBM, Apple. These were around before Microsoft.

No, you don't say. But they didn't make an intuitive OS that was open to the "average user". Please don't try to lecture me on computer history.

Apple uses and contributes a lot of FOSS code. Ever heard of Webkit? OS X and GNU/Linux have a lot in common.

Yes I know. They are also one of the most widely criticized companies for creating bespoke and locked-down software. OSX and GNU/Linux share as many differences as they do commonalities.

Who bailed who out? Remind me...

What an astoundingly null argument. Same said for OSX for example...

Because Windows comes preinstalled on almost every new PC? It's not out of choice they use MS software, it's that they are forced to.
And what's even more interesting is Ubuntu's rise among OEM's. It's expected to ship on 5% of all PC's worldwide next year.

LOL, 2013 - the year of Linux...