Diablo III launch epic FAIL!

What's wrong with having to be online to play it?
To be honest, you have answered your own question. I'm commonly in a situation where no Internet connection is available. In this case, no matter where you are: you need an internet connection and you need to assume that Blizzard is going to keep their end of the deal working.

Yesterday some guy started playing Diablo 1 and 2 in our computer labs and he had glued a trollface in the backside of his laptop screen.

"OMG Diablo wants me to be online all the time?! No way, I say! My time is important to me - I want to pretend like I still have dial-up!"

I swear, people bitch about the dumbest things. Granted, I too was skeptical about the so-called "DRM" about Diablo, but then I grew

up. What's wrong with having to be online to play it? This isn't the 90s anymore.

The last 3 days of connection problems for the game are the answer to that question.

You ask "what's wrong with always having to be online to play the game" yet totally ignore all the hassles people have had to go through just to log into the game.

• Like 1

Heh, it seems like there's a few people in this thread doing just what TB says, defending the game and its mess simply because it's blizzard.

"OMG Diablo wants me to be online all the time?! No way, I say! My time is important to me - I want to pretend like I still have dial-up!"

I swear, people bitch about the dumbest things. Granted, I too was skeptical about the so-called "DRM" about Diablo, but then I grew

up. What's wrong with having to be online to play it? This isn't the 90s anymore.

It's not about having to be online all the time. Honestly, I'm sure many could put up with that if it meant they didn't have to worry about server lag, server shutdowns, QUEUES, server maintenance, resets, and all of the issues common to those who play MMOs. If the "DRM" as we're calling it now just needed to keep an active check on you, that wouldn't be so bad. But from the looks of it, everything is hosted server side making this more problematic than it truly needs to be.

I feel this really confused me too, admittedly. I expected the "online requirement" to be not that bad, as having an active check to ensure you're not cheating even in single player didn't bother me, if it meant we could easily go from single player to co-op. But needing servers to run single player games? That's just plain stupid and I see little benefit out of it for the consumer, than it is a benefit for them ensuring no one's pirating by giving legitimate customers more hell than they need (no pun intended) and making sure they make bank with their stupid auction house system, that I've personally never seen too many people excited for anyway.

Where's the win in all this? What part of these things benefit the consumer? Going from single player to co-op is pretty nice, but was all this mess really necessary for it? Did we as players truly come out ahead?

I think I'll just be buying a Torchlight 2 4-pack, split the cost at $15/each among friends, and just enjoy the game, as we should. AH isn't a necessity, D3 doesn't have PvP implemented yet anyhow, and TB appears to have great things to say about the game by comparison, not to mention the modding capabilities to drive new content.

hey, when you live in an old neighborhood where the internet randomly craps out every now and then ....

If for whatever reason my HDD dies and I find out everything is gone then I would have lost all of the effort I have put into games and most probably would give up and not play them... However with characters stored on the cloud you just login and you're good to go.

But the problem is Blizzard don't give us that option which yeah I agree is kind of stupid queuing for a single player game!

This I agree with. Also give me the option if I go to a friends with the game to login and have access to my characters. I still would like to have a offline mode so that I can have a character to play while I am traveling or somewhere with no Internet access.

I only wanted this game to waste my time until GW2 is released. Since this game is not-playable by a large majority in any form (that pleases me...) I will delay purchase (or permanently suspend it) and find a new game to fill the void. I would play Torchlight 2 but sadly it's not out (which I find very weird considering they're the underdog of this genre... shame).

I can't believe how many people try to defend Blizzard, like it's specifically hard-wired into their genetic make-up to take it right up the A-hole. I understand, you were hyped, and your defense mechanism is to defend your choice to the grave. I just recommend you see passed your own bull**** and realize this is not how it should have been.

I only wanted D3 for PvP anyways, and it's not even implemented yet. Maybe complete a game before you release it? Meh, I'm sure your countless DLC's will more than make up for it.

Yours truly,

A man $60 richer than thou.

P.S. I was always skeptical of the 'always-on' DRM anyways. My suspicions seem warranted.

I don't care what anyone says. I'm enjoying the game so far, and IMHO, that's what counts.

What's wrong with having to be online to play it? This isn't the 90s anymore.

Yea, I was chilling on one of my "at sea days" on my cruise kicking back playing Diablo 2. Could I have done that with Diablo 3? NO BECAUSE THERE'S NO INTERNET. Some of us DON'T want to be tied down to an internet connection 24/7 because we GET OUT OF THE HOUSE every now and then and get away from where we live, and NO I'm not going to pay $1 a minute for internet because blizzard is full of dip****s.

Well, Id see that they DRM that they are using, is not really an issue if you are accomodated with some proper stable internet.

Due to my current location and accomodation I can only resort to using a "up to 32 Mbit" Mobile Broadband, which barely hits 10 Mbit.

Its unstable, I get lag.

When I play singleplayer, everything runs smoothly, 100 FPS+, But I get lag..in a singleplayer game, due to my internet being ****, what the heck is going on here?

Had I been playing multiplayer, it had would been acceptable, with my internet, heck id even be surprised if I didn't get lag.

But lag with the cause being the internet, during SP gaming..no..CPU/GPU/RAM/HDD Lag in SP, Yes OK, internet?..Wat.

Well, when thousands (and I'm purposely diminishing the number here, as it could actually be millions) of people play at the same time, the servers tend to cry and commit suicide.

And in technical terms, that would translate into high latency that doesn't even let you CLOSE THE GAME.

It's far away from being perfect....

I really was waiting for Diablo 3 but am very disapointed from what I hear.

Firstly, you hike up the price and you ofer only 7 hour of game play... hmmm ... I am predicting a lot of $15-$20 DLC packages coming soon... They are getting griddy and offering a sub-par gaming experience with a three+ year old tech.

Second, DRM and Internet Connection recuirement for Single Player mode.... They are making the whole experience so much more complicated that people will rather turn to pirating the game than paying to play it as it is...

Third, 7 hours... really... 10 years later and 7 hours of game play is all you can provide for $60?

Oh well... Maybe I'll get it when it hits the bargain bin...

7 hours what the hell are you talking about? My main level 60 is over 60 hours of gameplay in and I'm still struggling very much on Act 1 Inferno, and it's gonna take many times longer than that before I can even clear inferno much less finnaly get all the best gear which could take months or years. Diablo has basically unlimited gameplay thats one of the beautiful things about it keeps you entertained for years to come.

I don't care what anyone says. I'm enjoying the game so far, and IMHO, that's what counts.

Same here. And I'll still buy Torchlight 2 (when Mac version is available) and I can play that if I'm ever outside of an internet connection.

Same here. And I'll still buy Torchlight 2 (when Mac version is available) and I can play that if I'm ever outside of an internet connection.

Go for it. IT'S ****ING AMAZING!!!!!!! :D (Y)

(just got into the beta, if ya couldn't tell haha)

Go for it. IT'S ****ING AMAZING!!!!!!! :D (Y)

(just got into the beta, if ya couldn't tell haha)

So jealous! I didn't even try to get in, not going to have time before Tuesday to play it. Am enjoying the youtube stuff on it though.

As an aside, I havent had any issues with D3 and connection. I did have issues with SC2 release day so I kind of expected a day or two of waiting. But I agree with some other folks, having the game lag in SP due to latency is a bit of crap. Hopefully Blizzard can fix it with a patch or something. And dammit I am so looking forward to PvP!

• 3 weeks later...

Been almost a month since release and I have to say that while I'm pleased with the game in general, Blizzard has continued to fumble with server loads. Most days I can now play fine, maybe a little lag here and there, but there has been several outages not related to updates that are just disgraceful. I was in A3 NM fighting Azmodan with 2 others, the lag went through the roof and we were dropped from the game and have not been able to reconnect for 10 minutes. Funny thing is, Blizzard is still listing their NA servers as online but we are now getting error 37 when trying to reconnect. So it appears that they have booted people that have been playing for over an hour in order to let new players in, then prevent those people from reconnecting. Really freaking nice Blizzard!