• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Biohead

Biohead

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:56

iOS OTA's don't auto download. Don't know where you heard they did, but I assure you they don't. They ONLY download when you start the process, and even then you must be using WiFi.

#17 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:09

First the update like other have stated only happens on Wifi and even then you have to go in to the update part and click install or download what ever it says. also the Firmware update i installed and sent to a portion of the Nand flash dedicated only for FW updates . and what is it you cant do that you need to JB your device i am just curious

#18 iKenndac

iKenndac

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:14

Actually, to those of you claiming that OTA updates aren't auto-downloaded… you're wrong. The 5.1.1 update auto-downloaded to my device, too.

However, unlike the OP, <50Mb of space on my phone isn't making me freak out and write angry letters to my carrier.

#19 CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:21

Yes, I would rather trust my own judgement as I know what I have planned for my device. Ever heard of bugs? Ever heard of vulnerabilities. Ever heard of battery drains from certain udpates? Dense much?

Screw it! You've inspired me to reinstall IE5.5 on a Windows 98 Virtual Machine and **** updates! IE6 is a huge memory drain /s

In all seriousness. iOS Updates are done in a similar manor as OS X Updates.

5.x.x = Major Build
x.1.x = Minor Build
x.x.1 = Bugfix Build

Bugfix builds almost never contain new Firmware and only improve upon the latest Minor Build. So updating from 6.1.0 to 6.1.1 will NEVER cause you to have issues like the ones you mentioned.

#20 Biohead

Biohead

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:36

Actually, to those of you claiming that OTA updates aren't auto-downloaded… you're wrong. The 5.1.1 update auto-downloaded to my device, too.

Never knew that - didn't help when I checked mine and it's asking me to "Download and Install"... forgetting I'm still on 5.0.1.

#21 OP team_NOOB

team_NOOB

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:37

Screw it! You've inspired me to reinstall IE5.5 on a Windows 98 Virtual Machine and **** updates! IE6 is a huge memory drain /s

In all seriousness. iOS Updates are done in a similar manor as OS X Updates.

5.x.x = Major Build
x.1.x = Minor Build
x.x.1 = Bugfix Build

Bugfix builds almost never contain new Firmware and only improve upon the latest Minor Build. So updating from 6.1.0 to 6.1.1 will NEVER cause you to have issues like the ones you mentioned.

lol do it man IE5 is the bomb - trust me i am a web developer

mmm nup.. don't believe that bcos the latest iOS update has supposedly (based on what I have seen on some twitter posts) to have improved battery life. So that theory is flawed - which I guess is why you said "almost never". If it can improve - it can also have a negative impact.

Anyway i'm over this thread - so many ppl getting upset bcos I want full control over my phone. Like it's some crazy request I'm asking for. I wasn't worried about the size of the download limit at all. It was just the principal of the matter.

I'm out. Carry on amongst yourselves.