A thought on Win8 and RDP - Possible problems in Metro and "The Four Co

It's a thought that's just occurred to me but nothing I can test myself because I only have one computer running Windows 8.

I use RDP quite a lot, and several times I've RDP'd into my home machine (running windows 8 cp) with no issues. Everything works in both the standard desktop and the Metro UI.

Since Windows 8's interaction with metro relies on hotspot areas around the screen (i.e. the 4 corners), I imagine that if using the Metro UI on the remote machine as well as running Windows 8 on the Client Side would make it almost impossible to interact with the server. The summarise: The 4 corners client-side would interfere with the 4 corners server-side.

Anyone with as much spare time as myself willing to test this out!? :p

Cheers,

Alex

My assumption would be if your in full screen RDP it would allow only the cleint to use the hotspots. Though I have not tested win8 to win8. I have done RDP from win8 to win7 and it does not bring up the charm menu or the hotspot features. So I think I'm safe to assume that it would work the same way in a Win8 to Win8 senerio as well. If you need to access the charm/hotspot features you would have to minimize the RDP client.

Only the remote hotspots are triggered If you are in fullscreen mode from the Metro (or the desktop) RDP App.

Only the remote hotspots are triggered If you are in fullscreen mode from the Metro (or the desktop) RDP App.

Well, this sounds good to me. It would've been a mess otherwise but glad they worked it out before hand.

Well, this sounds good to me. It would've been a mess otherwise but glad they worked it out before hand.

Agreed! I quite like using the Metro based RDP app at it feels more "native" than the desktop one.

So from what I understand. If I am using Metro Win8 RDP (Client) and Metro Win8 UI Server... only the Server hotspots are activated? If this is the case then how would one close the Client Side Metro RDP App?

I use RDP to remote into my Win8 machine all the time.??Does anyone else find Win8 kind of laggy when you RDP into it?

Agreed! I quite like using the Metro based RDP app at it feels more "native" than the desktop one.

So from what I understand. If I am using Metro Win8 RDP (Client) and Metro Win8 UI Server... only the Server hotspots are activated? If this is the case then how would one close the Client Side Metro RDP App?

I don't know since I haven't tried this but I'm going to take a guess and say that you'd bring up it's menu bar in some fashion and just close the connection?

I don't know since I haven't tried this but I'm going to take a guess and say that you'd bring up it's menu bar in some fashion and just close the connection?

Yeah the app menu bar comes up when you move the mouse over the top edge of the screen. Just like the Win 7 RDP app.