As Facebook grows, millions say, 'no, thanks'

I really don't care whether someone likes or doesn't like Facebook. Let those that use it keep on using it and let those that don't want to use it do so as well.

Essentially these threads just regurgitate the same "I don't like, I do like" -blah blah where everything has been said a thousand times before. It's like taking care of the demented, every day the same speech gets repeated like a robot.

"Not liking" Facebook has become "the new cool" - just as disparaging Microsoft (or Google, or Apple) was "cool" at some point. Becoming popular leads to ridicule. (The same is equally true of the "children of Facebook" - the IPOs - and even non-IPOs - of companies connected to Facebook - such as Zynga (NASDAQ NMS: ZNGA) and even PopCap Games (NYSE: EA).) Even LinkedIn has come in for its own share of scorn.

It's become the new form of *tabloidism* - we watch (and disparage) famous companies - public or not - just to watch them wreck. And then - afterwards - we then come back on and lie (to others and/or to ourselves) saying "We had no idea that Company X would implode like that!" From everything I have seen about gatherings of people, we, as groups, love watching crashes - as long as we aren't in them.

"Not liking" Facebook has become "the new cool" - just as disparaging Microsoft (or Google, or Apple) was "cool" at some point. Becoming popular leads to ridicule. (The same is equally true of the "children of Facebook" - the IPOs - and even non-IPOs - of companies connected to Facebook - such as Zynga (NASDAQ NMS: ZNGA) and even PopCap Games (NYSE: EA).) Even LinkedIn has come in for its own share of scorn.

It's become the new form of *tabloidism* - we watch (and disparage) famous companies - public or not - just to watch them wreck. And then - afterwards - we then come back on and lie (to others and/or to ourselves) saying "We had no idea that Company X would implode like that!" From everything I have seen about gatherings of people, we, as groups, love watching crashes - as long as we aren't in them.

So you're saying that people want to look cool by disliking a company? That may be true.

But in my case, I don't hate Facebook. It is only a tool. A bad one, in my opinion, because it drives people to gossip, laziness and unnecessary competition.

The "cute" part of Facebook can be achieved with other tools, like Picasa and Google Agenda.

I have no wish to know if

Steph has just picked the kids up

Jodie is sad its a Monday and she has to get up for work

Names changed to protect the innocent...........

As far as Im concerned generally its just people looking for their 15 minuites of fame

No, I don't like Facebook because it's a detriment to the Internet. I thought it was great as a social networking site, but now that it's trying to tie EVERYTHING into its service, it's becoming a nuisance. And once shareholders want their money for that 100x valuation, it's only going to get worse.

They're trying to re-AOL the Internet. Sign into Facebook for this, sign in for that, read this through our app on Facebook, play this game through Facebook, tell your friends you just bought a Snickers bar on Facebook. Does it actually affect me at the moment? No, I just ignore it all, and Facebook doesn't get anything. But once they need to start turning a real profit, you can bet Facebook will be building some better walls to make sure they can run anything that will turn a profit through Facebook only.

I just use it instead of tumblr or photobucket for my albums relating to my art... I post it and the people who want to see it have me show up in their feed, the others who want to have me as a friend but don't care just ignore or hide the photos... That and random funny quotes are all I ever post. Reading the mundane minutiae of people's lives they somehow feel the need to post on the "news" feed is definitely not something I ever do.

That's the only way most popular websites will grow, by becoming a platform. HTML5 will probably do more to power this. The idea for the user is that you can sift through the garbage and have a more immediate understanding of what you actually do online and control who has access to your information. The idea for those in ad sales is to crowdsource the information and create demographics to effectively serve up ads to.

Makes sense to me. If for nothing else, you experience it in much more prevelant and yet suprisingly latent ways in most walks of life. Most forms of mass media work this way (magazine and newspaper subscriptions, TV and Radio ratings, etc). Hell even the school district system in metro areas like NYC and Baltimore are derived from the same concept. The only difference is the medium.

No, I don't like Facebook because it's a detriment to the Internet. I thought it was great as a social networking site, but now that it's trying to tie EVERYTHING into its service, it's becoming a nuisance. And once shareholders want their money for that 100x valuation, it's only going to get worse.

They're trying to re-AOL the Internet. Sign into Facebook for this, sign in for that, read this through our app on Facebook, play this game through Facebook, tell your friends you just bought a Snickers bar on Facebook. Does it actually affect me at the moment? No, I just ignore it all, and Facebook doesn't get anything. But once they need to start turning a real profit, you can bet Facebook will be building some better walls to make sure they can run anything that will turn a profit through Facebook only.

I think thats all your weird personal situation. None of that is happening with me, friends, or family.

Not exactly, as I never had a Facebook account. But looking at the big picture, that's all is seen by psychologists and psychiatrists who study this phenomena.

I'm talking about the big picture, not about your happy family and friends.

i used to have a facebook account but i deactivated it... its mainly due to the fact that i repair computers and my most annoying customers where heavy facebook users. Also i don't need to know every thought on everybody else's mind about all the boring stuff they do all day...

There's absolutely no need to have a Facebook account if you don't care about gossip or exposing your life.

Fact.

INCORRECT. Nearly all of my friends use Facebook for IM. None of them use AIM or Windows Live Messenger. Facebook is necessary if you want to instant message my friends, and I'm sure that's true with a lot of people (at least in America it seems to be true)

INCORRECT. Nearly all of my friends use Facebook for IM. None of them use AIM or Windows Live Messenger. Facebook is necessary if you want to instant message my friends, and I'm sure that's true with a lot of people (at least in America it seems to be true)

It is indeed beautiful to see how much you and your friends DEPEND on Facebook.

Good luck.

If even if you don't want to "share triviality" there is one advantage that always seems to get glossed over.

Lots of websites are now using Facebook to manage their login / registration - not only is this a quick way to sign up to the latest / must have service but it's also easier to only remember one username password and know that when you change the password it's changed for everything.

If you don't want to post anything on Facebook then don't (or don't let anyone have permission to view your wall / timeline).

Hmmm...

Because risking identity theft on one site isn't enough... :shifty: :laugh:

Glassed Silver:mac

Yeah I believe there are a lot of things that are so urgent you need instant delivery.

Also Isn't text message instant enough?

My wife has an account, and she claims that she only uses it to chat with friends/family, and play the games. However, I do know that she chats with her former flame (no big deal to me but still...), she does not understand why I do not want an account, since my mother is on, my grandmother (who is going to be 90), cousins,my brother and sister are on. But despite that, I want nothing to do with it, and what bother me the most is all these software companies who have giveaways force you to 'like' them on Facebook in order to receive the software, i also can not stand seeing business's blatantly telling the consumer to 'Like' them on Facebook, so that they can give you some meaningless coupon, or other useless crap just because you 'like' them. The same goes for the small business who does not create a website, but has a Facebook page, in that case that business/restaurant, etc has lost my business because they want to force me to go to there Facebook page.

I think mostly everyone gets very used to FB sharing in college days(others like relatives follow seeing them) and will be obsessed for long time with it to share all their ####(photos,videos etc), habits like this will take long time to get rid of...

No you're talking out your imagination. Have no idea what you're talking about and you havent used it.

People just post pics, shared them with friends,and family, post updates, etc.

It's not some soap opera that you're envisioning. Not everything is crazy and dramatic in life.

I don't even like facebook, and i know you're clueless.

you should become a day time soap opera or some CSI Paranoia writer.

Because I think and you eat sh** ?

Good idea.

I have a Facebook account but it's not a big part of my life. I find myself more and more unsubscribing people from my news feed. You can look at only so many stupid posts without going off.

I think Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with people who I otherwise, would have no way of contacting.

If you don't like it, fine, don't use it, but don't push your personal opinion as fact when millions of people do think Facebook is a good thing.

i have one but im spending less and less time on it ... sick of seeing these click like if you think this kid or that kid is pretty .... blah blah ... i joined to keep in contact with family that over seas or on the west cost ive been spending more time on G+ working on bring more family over to G+

I use facebook as am almost all my friends and families who lives far and apart. I used to use MSN but now use facebook's chat because it is intergrated into the site. no software needed. Besides, many emergency services here use facebook and twitter to post updates. Very useful. And yes, some of my internet accounts are linked to my facebook account. :)

I think Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with people who I otherwise, would have no way of contacting.

If you don't like it, fine, don't use it, but don't push your personal opinion as fact when millions of people do think Facebook is a good thing.

Agreed. I like it and am probably on there a bit too much but I usually am sharing things like personal photos for family/friends and linking articles. My wife is addicted to the thing and I'm actually surprised she stopped playing FarmVille. For awhile there I was planning an intervention!

Its definitely a good way to keep up with people you care about especially when everyday life is just so hectic.

I don't have a face book and I hate it. You want to get ahold of me? Text me, email me, call me, drop by sometime. I rearely ever even check my twitter. I have better things to do than shareing my life with the world and friends I haven't seen in 10+ years.

What, are you saying facebook adds those people on it's own? It doesn't. That's your choice. How can you hate it? Why don't you just add the people you're close to and care about so you can get invited to parties etc or take part in group conversations, or see photo's from things your good friends did? This facebook hate is ludicrous because like your reason, most of the people who hate have equally dumb reasons.

There's absolutely no need to have a Facebook account if you don't care about gossip or exposing your life.

Fact.

I don't get a chance to call my parents all the time - it's a great way for them to see what I'm up to, and for me to see what they're up to and share pictures and so forth, easily.

People seem to get on some ridiculous high horse about Facebook and how it's only used by people who want to gossip. Personally I find it excellent for organising social events with friends (without having to send round loads of emails, or make a load of phones calls) and as I say, great to just know what friends and family are up to. I think it's a great technology and it's really up to you what you make of it, or how you use it.

I have one friend who is a "hold-out" on signing up for whatever reason. And it's a continual pain the ****ing arse to have to make a special exception to call him or ask him seperately every damn time we want to do something. Most of the time it just makes me think "I can't be bothered.."

To all of you who do this - stop being paranoid, antisocial freaks for christs sake.

• Like 2