Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
butilikethecookie

windows 8 Microsoft Drops Aero from Windows 8

536 posts in this topic

Goes a long way towards scaling back on burdening the GPU and improving battery life for laptop usage.

1 person likes this

You can make the screens as fancy as you want or not. If the OS crashes or some other problem then who needs it.

Kinda like it but are they going to keep the same icons? :huh:

1 person likes this

Your title is slightly misleading as Aero is a lot more than just Aero Glass. Also, this is already being discussed in this thread:

Your title is slightly misleading as Aero is a lot more than just Aero Glass. Also, this is already being discussed in this thread:

http://www.neowin.ne...__fromsearch__1

These windows aren't shiny and see through though. They are solid.

Kinda like it but are they going to keep the same icons? :huh:

No, they talk about changing icons and so on by RTM in the blog post.

oh noes another dropppped featurezzz :rolleyes:

on a serious note good job of making Windows Uniform (Y)

oh noes another dropppped featurezzz :rolleyes:

on a serious note good job of making Windows Uniform (Y)

No feature dropped here. They just changed the theme. The underlying stuff that Aero brought is all still there. In other words, it shouldn't take long for themers to bring back Aero Glass. At least I hope so, more choices is always better.

I love the direction Windows 8 is heading.Cant wait for the RP and ofcourse RTM.The new flat look is more then welcome for me from every aspect and i also hope they make the libraries and folder icons "more metro" as well.

I'm all for making the desktop Metro style , but the screenshots so far seem half-assed in that direction and would look better with Aero. The windows still have thick rubber band borders, no use of caps in the titlebar or ribbon, etc.

These windows aren't shiny and see through though. They are solid.

If you read through to the end of that thread you'll see that the last two or three pages are devoted to a discussion of this topic.

Goes a long way towards scaling back on burdening the GPU and improving battery life for laptop usage.

Wrong, it's still GPU accelerated.

I find that hideous. My next desktop might be my first mac :o

9 people like this

No, it doesn't Even the crappiest Integrated GPU from Vista's heyday didn't struggle with Aero.

1 person likes this

No feature dropped here. They just changed the theme. The underlying stuff that Aero brought is all still there. In other words, it shouldn't take long for themers to bring back Aero Glass. At least I hope so, more choices is always better.

Yeah, as soon as Windows 8 RC's I'm gonna start work on Cloud8. smh @ Microsoft.

I'm getting an Ivy Bridge Retina Macbook this summer too. :D

4 people like this

This is classic, poor MS, damned if you do damned if you don't till the end. People moaned how the desktop and start screen don't match at all, now they're working to get the desktop to better fit with the start screen and you have a group moaning about those changes now. It never ends.

4 people like this

Did you notice that Microsoft changed the screenshot of the desktop in their blog.

The new screenshot doesn't show the new icon.

Compare this picture with the one in the first post (emphasis on the task bar area):

8270.Desktop_2D00_theme_5F00_0459AA86.png

3 people like this

Did you notice that Microsoft changed the screenshot of the desktop in their blog.

The new screenshot doesn't show the new icon.

Compare this picture with the one in the first post (emphasis on the task bar area):

8270.Desktop_2D00_theme_5F00_0459AA86.png

You're right, guess they photoshopped it out, don't want to leak new icons right now I guess.

You're assuming themers will bother with Windows 8.

You're assuming themers will bother with Windows 8.

Of course themers will mode Windows 8. They already are doing it.

Comments like this always makes me laugh.

Have you ever tried OS X once in your life ? It has many ****ty things like no real fullscreen, lack of games etc.

Plus you'll lose all your software that have to be bought again/you'll have to find the mac equivalent and so on, so much for not staying with Windows 7/wait for Windows 8 RTM and try it!

1 person likes this

Oh so that means the only is only designed for battery powered devices! Wait a minute, I thought Microsoft said it was designed for all kinds of PCs. Then why should powered machines not enjoy glass transparencies where there is no question of battery life?

4 people like this