Torchlight 2 Beta Weekend

just got the word that the beta is opened till thursday. i got an invite, and man the game looks impressive, it's really, really good, i've played it with an engineer, beat the final boss late last night, now i'm just going to join some games and try to farm something. it looks way better than the first one, more polished, the maps are freaking huge. now i'm going to try the beserker and check it out. but seriously i'm sold. got to get my hands on this one. going to pre order. and in comparison with diablo it has some strong points that diablo forgot to deliver.

just got the word that the beta is opened till thursday. i got an invite, and man the game looks impressive, it's really, really good, i've played it with an engineer, beat the final boss late last night, now i'm just going to join some games and try to farm something. it looks way better than the first one, more polished, the maps are freaking huge. now i'm going to try the beserker and check it out. but seriously i'm sold. got to get my hands on this one. going to pre order. and in comparison with diablo it has some strong points that diablo forgot to deliver.

Glad you're having fun man! :D (Y)

Yeah, to reiterate: BETA TO STAY OPEN UNTIL THURSDAY! Very excited about that as I've been busy all day today, haven't had a chance to login. :s

I like the offline play mode as it will certainly help kill some time when you're travelling and have no internet connection while on the go. Hopefully there will be no launch issues (kidding) =p

Too bad the ones that pre-order didn't receive any notification about the invite only/open betas.

Only now found out about them and pre-ordered the game as soon as it was available to pre-order (April 26th) :(

Too bad the ones that pre-order didn't receive any notification about the invite only/open betas.

Only now found out about them and pre-ordered the game as soon as it was available to pre-order (April 26th) :(

Looks like they send EVERYONE a beta key now. Registered after the message above and got a key two hours later.

And looks like I still have plenty of time to try out the beta :D

Oh yeah baby! Got my key and pre-ordered as well! (Got Torchlight 1 and yes it does rock!) BeLGaRaTh, check back now and again for the confirmation email, it will come soon. :)

Are the system requirements yet? Just want to make sure I can play on my MacBook Pro with the HD3000 (yes, I know I'll have to dumb it down but its what I have for now).

Are the system requirements yet? Just want to make sure I can play on my MacBook Pro with the HD3000 (yes, I know I'll have to dumb it down but its what I have for now).

System Requirements

• Processor: x86-compatible 1.4GHz or faster processor
    • Memory: 1GB System RAM
    • Hard Disk Space: 1.2GB free space (subject to change)
    • Video Card: DirectX compatible 3D graphics card with at least 256MB of addressable memory.
    • DirectX?: 9.0c

You should be more than able to enjoy it :)

Make sure you guys are checking the Torchlight 2 account page, as I was told your key might show up in there, despite not receiving an email.

https://secure.runicgames.com/dashboard

---

Been playing on Elite mode now, on an Embermage because Engineer = easy mode. Engineer is still fun as hell, don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to make the most of my beta experience. Anyway, survivability is quite a bit tough as an Embermage. Been trying to "figure out" the key to handling this character, having reset my abilities quite a number of times. So far, I've found wands to be much more awesome than staves. Gives you a ranged attack, powerful, can dual wield them, and since you'll be dumping points into Focus, you'll have good chances to strike with both weapons at the same time. Good stuff!

As for tactics, I found Frostbolt (whatever the first frost spell is) to be quite useful in keeping enemies at bay in the beginning, coupled with Hailstorm to mass stun and make the enemies more susceptible to Ice/Electric damage. Started making use of Storm Locus which I'd kite enemies around (great for bosses and bottleneck areas too). I just hit level 14 though, so I've got Blazing Pillars and Frost Phase in my arsenal. Will hopefully be able to finish the beta in Elite mode tomorrow, unless something comes up. Things have just FINALLY started to get easier. I'm roughly around 64 Focus, 32 Vitality (including what I have from gear) and have a lot of +Focus, +Vit, and +HP gear to keep my survivability up.

I've only played alone so far in this beta, so I find it pretty damn awesome that I'm enjoying it this much just by myself lol. I have yet to see any real bugs thus far, which is a pretty good sign. :D

so got in the beta yesterday.. I must say the game is really good. Its definitely doesn't have that D3 polish to it, but I actually LOVE the way it looks. Definitely isn't as dark and spooky looking like D3, I like the almost cellshaded look it has though.

Really fun, love the companions. Overall only got to play it for about 30 mins to an hour, but look to play more tonight. For the price, the ability to mod, the ability to play without having to have an internet connection and the overall gameplay being as good as it is, I would definitely choose TL2 over D3

Make sure you guys are checking the Torchlight 2 account page, as I was told your key might show up in there, despite not receiving an email.

https://secure.runic...s.com/dashboard

Thanks for that, I have probably had a key all this time but due to it saying register your key I didnt press the link, I just clicked it and there was my key, still an utter disgrace though as only 8 or so hours left isn't there?

Thanks for that, I have probably had a key all this time but due to it saying register your key I didnt press the link, I just clicked it and there was my key, still an utter disgrace though as only 8 or so hours left isn't there?

The beta won't close until 4PM PDT of the 24th. So that gives you until roughly what... midnight tomorrow given your time zone? Plenty of time to enjoy yourself. :)

A few of my thoughts about the beta:

Performance: Nothing like Diablo 3 (in a good way). This game has great spell effects but the requirements are a joke. I'm willing to bet your grandma's PC could run it.

Gameplay: Not much has changed since Torchlight 1. It's still a click-to-kill game. The skill trees have been tweaked a bit, and the UI has had minor tweaks too. The

items, however, have been overhauled. I haven't seen one item with pointless stats. There have been a few I've picked up for other classes, but no rings with "+3%

poison resistance" or other garbage.

Graphics: About the same. The spell effects are still cool, but they stand out from the rest of the game. The world and the characters look blocky and cartoony, with

pastel colors on top.

Customization: You can pick between male and female for all 4 classes, and each one has a few different hair styles and colors to choose from. You can also choose

between pets, most of which are new but the classic dogs and cats are still there.

The biggest change is world exploration. You can actually leave town and quest outside. For me, this is huge. I hated being confined to town in Torchlight 1, and the

mine spelunking was endless. Even the little side-quest dungeons were just rehashed mines. This time, however, towns become actual towns. You can repair, respec

your characters, buy potions and things, and collect quests. A long-overdue and much needed improvement. Outside of town, you're wandering through forests,

graveyards, fields, and etc. There's dungeons almost everywhere too, and at the entrance, there are posted quest levels so you don't go in over your head.

Played it until I was level 3 (I know its not long) but I had to take meds, but I love it, time to jib Diablo off and play a proper game that doesnt kick you off servers and just works as intended.

:wub: Torchlight II

Is it just me or does the game get ridiculously difficult (on "Normal", nonetheless) quite early on? I got pounded by at least 10 mobs and 2-3 "elites" in the second dungeon I entered.

The only way to survive was to chug all my health potions and keep kiting them. Once I defeated that pack and I was out of potions (and gold) I ran into an even bigger pack of mobs.

Without gold and health potions I was pretty screwed and gave up...

been playing with a beserker and ohhh man...it's amazing, even at lower levels it's a freaking powerhouse. raw damage all the way, and when the charge bar is full, crits all the way, nothing can stop me. i got to get my hands on this, hoping they release it really soon.

Graphics: About the same. The spell effects are still cool, but they stand out from the rest of the game. The world and the characters look blocky and cartoony, with

pastel colors on top.

I think the biggest change I saw graphically is the atmosphere. It's incredibly different, at least imo. The dungeons feel leaps and bounds better than Torchlight 1, both with the art and the coloring. I also noticed outside with the storm going in the beginning, clouds were leaving shadows on the ground as they passed overhead. Thought some of those effects were pretty cool at least, as it really helped draw me in, something Torchlight 1's environment didn't do for me at all. (also being confined sucked with TL1 too)

Is it just me or does the game get ridiculously difficult (on "Normal", nonetheless) quite early on? I got pounded by at least 10 mobs and 2-3 "elites" in the second dungeon I entered.

The only way to survive was to chug all my health potions and keep kiting them. Once I defeated that pack and I was out of potions (and gold) I ran into an even bigger pack of mobs.

Without gold and health potions I was pretty screwed and gave up...

What are you playing as? And what are your tactics?

Sounds to me like you're having trouble adapting to the enemy types, which is why it's good to do skill resets to figure out what works and what doesn't. Also, not everything works the same for all enemies. Like my engineer for example can cheese his way through most enemies with just the cannon (and the skill that blasts stuff from it). Bosses though, it sucks ass against. That's when I go 2hander style and smash them down for crazy damage. Also helps having a healbot which basically removes the need for health potions. My engineer has like... 70-80 of the smallest heal pots for example. :p

Haven't progressed any on my embermage. Currently stuck in a dungeon I'm having to change tactics for. I was thinking on maybe tuning the difficulty down to Veteran but I don't want to wuss out lol. Also, my eyes are tired today...

System Requirements

• Processor: x86-compatible 1.4GHz or faster processor
    • Memory: 1GB System RAM
    • Hard Disk Space: 1.2GB free space (subject to change)
    • Video Card: DirectX compatible 3D graphics card with at least 256MB of addressable memory.
    • DirectX?: 9.0c

You should be more than able to enjoy it :)

Wow, thats great! Thanks for that.

Time to get going on Boot Camp again...

so got in the beta yesterday.. I must say the game is really good. Its definitely doesn't have that D3 polish to it, but I actually LOVE the way it looks. Definitely isn't as dark and spooky looking like D3, I like the almost cellshaded look it has though.

Really fun, love the companions. Overall only got to play it for about 30 mins to an hour, but look to play more tonight. For the price, the ability to mod, the ability to play without having to have an internet connection and the overall gameplay being as good as it is, I would definitely choose TL2 over D3

This!!

Got in 2 days ago and love the look and feel of the game, its a little sticky in places. One little niggle I have is the smoothness of some of the abilitys compared to there D3 counterparts. I play a Demon hunter in D3 and tried whatever class it was in TL2 with the same duel gun/bow setup and when i went to do the multi-shot ability it feels a little clunky in a bad way. However that said the animation and speed/movement in TL2 is just as good as anything in D3 and as others have said, the cel shaded look works amazingly well. Combine the other plus points such as server offline sp, mod abilitys and the price ?15 you`d be mad to aviod this after D3. Plus its made by some ex-blizzard folk im told so imho if you can`t see the Wow/D3 combo art style and gameplay your a bit mental.