Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb dies after cancer battle.

Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb dies after cancer battle

Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb has died following a lengthy battle with cancer, his family have said.

British-born Gibb, 62, had been battling colon and liver cancer.

Gibb's musical career began when he formed the Bee Gees with his brothers Barry and Maurice in 1958.

The group is among the biggest-selling groups of all time with hits spanning six decades including Stayin' Alive, How Deep Is Your Love, Massachusetts and Night Fever.

In a statement, Gibb's family said they were announcing his death with "great sadness".

Broadcaster Paul Gambaccini described Gibb as "one of the major figures in the history of British music".

"Everyone should be aware that the Bee Gees are second only to Lennon and McCartney as the most successful songwriting unit in British popular music," he said.

"Their accomplishments have been monumental.

"Not only have they written their own number one hits, but they wrote huge hit records for Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick, Celine Dion, Destiny's Child, Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, the list goes on and on.

"What must also be said is Robin had one of the best white soul voices ever. He was singing lead on his first number one when he was 17, that was Massachusetts."

Gibb's family said in a statement: "The family of Robin Gibb, of the Bee Gees, announce with great sadness that Robin passed away today following his long battle with cancer and intestinal surgery.

"The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this very difficult time."

Source: BBC News

what a ****ty month this has been seriously....

I guess he's not... staying alive.

May be wrong and too soon, but I R'ed on the F Laughing my A** off.... (Y)

Staying alive, Massachusetts, Alone,..Just some of the great songs.

Listened to Bee Gees when I was 2 years old and loved it.

This is so sad.

I guess he's not... staying alive.

I knew someone would beat me to it.

Anyway, after a tough bout with cancer, it was probably for the best.

Ok Disco is officially dead! with Donna Summer gone and 2 of the 3 Bee Gees & John Travolta still in the closet, Disco is truely dead.

RIP Robin Gibb.