Android Media Player App

I've just an Android media player device (more out of curiosity than anything else). And to be fair, it's freaking awesome for the ?70 I paid. It plays all formats, has a wii-mote interface, doesn't lag, 1080p, it just rocks.

BUT

Rather than having my apps for music, videos, pictures... Are there any apps for Android that work like XBMC or such? Worth noting, all media is located on a USB hard drive plugged in directly.

Before I get the usual "LMGTFY" or "Google it" links - I have, am asking for direct recommendations from users.

Cheers :)

I recommend The following:

Realplayer (very nice all in one media player and for being a beta it's freaking nice and hasn't had any problems... you can even share media too!) Has a very intuitive interface!

MoboPlayer (if you don't want to try RealPlayer, it's very good as well)

Winamp (very low CPU usage and decent music player)

All 3 are made by reputable people and have non-invasive permissions and no degradation of battery life and performance.

Avoid the following:

Cloudskipper (EXTREMELY INVASIVE PERMISSIONS and is a battery drainer like mad)

MyMusicOn (SEE ABOVE!!!!!!!)

Xplay (SEE ABOVE ABOVE!!!)

most of those apps have fine gps permissions which drain the battery and more importantly they are NEVER NEEDED and are just a spying tool. some of those can directly call people and snoop. AVOID THESE APPS AT ALL COST NO MATTER HOW ENTICING THEY LOOK!!!

Moboplayer is for movies, is what i've always used. Unfortunately there isn't anything like XBMC with the whole slick interface out there at the moment :(

I fortunately managed to pick up a couple of Raspberry Pi boards and will be putting RaspBMC on those making them nice and cheap XBMC units.

On my tablet I have been using MX Player however, after the last update i have been experiencing issues with MKV files and Streaming data over the network (already in contact with the application writer) However, when it is working it is the best I have been able to find. Can play any video or audio file i throw at it.

Thus far, the best I have found is avia (https://play.google....oid.mediaplayer)

WATCH THOSE PERMISSIONS!!!

• YOUR ACCOUNTS
    USE THE AUTHENTICATION CREDENTIALS OF AN ACCOUNT
    Allows the app to request authentication tokens.
    MANAGE THE ACCOUNTS LIST
    Allows the app to perform operations like adding and removing accounts, and deleting their password.
  • YOUR LOCATION
    COARSE (NETWORK-BASED) LOCATION
    Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate tablet location, where available. Malicious apps may use this to determine approximately where you are. Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate phone location, where available. Malicious apps may use this to determine approximately where you are.

Doubletwist is pretty good for music and videos though it's not play as many formats as Moboplayer. For music playback I prefer to use n7player since it has a nice UI imo.

watch those permissions as well:

HARDWARE CONTROLS

RECORD AUDIO

Allows the app to access the audio record path..

CONTROL NEAR FIELD COMMUNICATION

Allows the app to communicate with Near Field Communication (NFC) tags, cards, and readers.

YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION

READ SENSITIVE LOG DATA

Allows the app to read from the system's various log files. This allows it to discover general information about what you are doing with the tablet, potentially including personal or private information. Allows the app to read from the system's various log files. This allows it to discover general information about what you are doing with the phone, potentially including personal or private information.

but they drain your battery!!!!!

So does turning your phone on... Just because it CAN do something, doesn't mean it does it all the time... not like it's going to be constantly recording your sound 24/7 or constantly scanning log files

So does turning your phone on... Just because it CAN do something, doesn't mean it does it all the time... not like it's going to be constantly recording your sound 24/7 or constantly scanning log files

Exactly!

Apps need to have some permissions to do stuff. I rarely look at the permissions mine ask for but then I stick to apps I have known for a while and not those that look like a low budget scam.

mixzing was a battery hog... my phone would last 8 hours listening to music and just light browsing....

it had permissions like that and ads...

watch any apps that have ads. those drain like mad. better off purchasing the prem. ver.

Agreed, they do drain battery - but this is a mains powered unit so... ;)

And as for the accounts list - it signs into your FB account to view pictures from there :)

mixzing was a battery hog... my phone would last 8 hours listening to music and just light browsing....

it had permissions like that and ads...

watch any apps that have ads. those drain like mad. better off purchasing the prem. ver.

Amount of permissions requested has no affect on battery life. Ads definitely can though.

I'd recommend having a look at Neutron Media Player for audio. It doesn't have the most pretty interface but the sound quality that it provides is quite amazing, they provide a trial version so you don't lose anything if you don't like it (I'd recommend playing with the EQ and enabling high quality audio dithering for best results)

Amount of permissions requested has no affect on battery life. Ads definitely can though.

permissions that use GPS do....