Coda 2 and Diet Coda to be released on May 24, 2012

It's out, ive tried the demo and satisfied it does everything SublimeText2 does that i need it to do... i'm still disappointed it's $50 for everyone, considering i only bought it a couple of months a go but it looks like a worthy upgrade the FTP implementation is pretty much Transmit.

meh... the upgrade pricing should be a little bit cheaper than the 24/hour pricing for all..

i'll be giving the demo a whirl before i commit as i was close to buying Transmit+SublimeText2

If you have Coda 2, you don't really need to bother with Transmit anymore as it's pretty much built in ! Been using the beta for months, and I think in that time i've used transmit, once ? maybe twice ?

Ah, thanks, unfortunately I'm at work on a Windows PC, I was just looking for some opinions before the 24hrs was up.

If your a Coda user then i doubt you'll be disappointed.. it's the perfect love child of Coda1, Transmit and SublimeText 2.

• It feels snappier
  • Sites is better with groups [especially if you have lots of saved sites]
  • FTP implementation is much better, infact it is almost exactly the same as Transmit with it's own dedicated window instead of just the side bar, so your getting an FTP client as well, where as before i would not use Coda just for some FTP transfers but now i would.
  • Coding is [almost] on par with sublime text 2 with 'snippets' everything pretty much auto completes, there was a few tags missing but adding them as a clip easily fixed it.
  • Clips is also improved with multiple insertion points
  • The need for the sidebar is greatly reduced so you have lots more work space, however if you do prefer the side bar it can easily slide in and out and offers much greater functionality.

It has crashed on me 3 times today, although wasn't coding at the time but messing around with settings.

If you have Coda 2, you don't really need to bother with Transmit anymore as it's pretty much built in ! Been using the beta for months, and I think in that time i've used transmit, once ? maybe twice ?

Yeah i know, it was either Coda2 or SublimeText2 + Transmit. I've gone with the Coda2.

• Like 1

In the times I used Coda, it was always a joy to use. It actually made me WANT to do work on web development just to use Coda. This is probably one of the best designed and written apps that I've ever used on any platform. I don't do much web design these days, but I may just have to pick up a copy while it's $49. That's hard to pass up on.

I decided to buy it. I'm still deciding between it and SublimeText 2 (I might just use both), but it's definitely a joy to use.

I bought it and Diet Coda. Not sure when I'm doing web work next but at those prices I had to snap it up :) ?34.99 for Coda 2 and ?6.99 for Diet Coda :)

Just bought it this morning when waking up. Looked great so far, my expectations are beyond everything about Coda.

Now, how the hell does Smart Complete work in PHP ? I enabled "Hints" in the sidebar as a workaround, and it works? except when I click on the function, it will copy the whole thing next to what I was already writing.

Also, it?s a shame it hasn?t been localized in French yet ? Was Coda 1 ever localized in any language but English ?

And good they came up with a MySQL editor built-in, we always lacked a good one on the Mac. However, PHP 5 comes built-in with SQLite since the very beginning. Where is the support for that ?

My websites has files located at www.mydomain.com/pages/news.php, which are used as www.mydomain.com/news/, I have no idea how I can program this into Coda 2, so I can preview them at the good address (on my local server I mean).

I guess I will send them an email regarding all of this. So far, for a release that has been pushed for so many months (years?), I?m a bit disappointed. :/

So, I ended up picking it up, mostly because I know support for Coda 1 is dead, so any improvements from here out are coming for Coda 2. Not quite what I expected after waiting so long, and I don't think it's worth $99, but for $49 it fixes a lot of the things I found annoying about Coda 1.

After giving it a honest try, I just sent them a pretty huge email and will wait a week for an answer. I?ll be fair and wait for their reply before rating the app on the App Store.

Right now, from my point of view, I?d give it 3 stars, but it?s an app that can easily climb to 5 stars with little work. If some of my requests are already built in Coda but I didn?t know where to find them, I?ll give Coda 4 stars right on start. If my requests are planned on their roadmap, it will eventually climb up to 5 stars.

My websites has files located at www.mydomain.com/pages/news.php, which are used as www.mydomain.com/news/, I have no idea how I can program this into Coda 2, so I can preview them at the good address (on my local server I mean).

Perhaps you know this and I misunderstood what you're asking for, but when setting up a site you can set up a remote root and remote url, same for local. That's the only way you'd be able to edit/preview any CMS (i.e, my blog is at /blog, but all the files are at /blog/wp-content/themes/blog-theme).

Unfortunately, their documentation has always been a bit shoddy (although very pretty).

And good they came up with a MySQL editor built-in, we always lacked a good one on the Mac.

Erm - Navicat?! Thats like the best MySQL Application out there!

Coda 2 is so full of bugs for me, in the UI and constant crashing. I also hate the new UI. I'll stick with 1.7.5 till I find a replacement.

Erm - Navicat?! Thats like the best MySQL Application out there!

It doesn?t have a particularly appealing UI, it isn?t integrated in a web editor like it would be with Coda, but seriously, thanks, it?s the first SQL editor that I see out there that actually looks great on first use. All the others I?ve tried sucked because of their bad interface or they were poor ports from Windows to the Mac, or they were filled with bugs.

After giving it a honest try, I just sent them a pretty huge email and will wait a week for an answer. I?ll be fair and wait for their reply before rating the app on the App Store.

Right now, from my point of view, I?d give it 3 stars, but it?s an app that can easily climb to 5 stars with little work. If some of my requests are already built in Coda but I didn?t know where to find them, I?ll give Coda 4 stars right on start. If my requests are planned on their roadmap, it will eventually climb up to 5 stars.

I'd be interested to know what your points are if you don't mind sharing :)

I'd be interested to know what your points are if you don't mind sharing :)

Maybe I exaggerated when I said "huge" email :p

But after playing around with Coda 2 for about an hour, here?s my concerns (I mentioned most of them here) :

1. Smart complete / Auto complete : How do I enable smart complete with PHP language like in the promotional video ? If I write str_replace(, it will only close the parentheses. If I use the "Hints pane" in the sidebar, and I click on the function, it will ignore what I was already typing and will simply copy the whole function next to it. Example : I start by typing "str_r" and click on the function "str_replace" in the hints page, it will output like this : str_rstring str_repeat ( string $input , int $multiplier ). I must have misunderstood something !

2. Localization : So I noticed my computer is in French and all of my apps are (except for Office 2011, these Microsoft guys are rebels at times), but Coda 2 is in English. I can understand that localization may not be the priority for such a huge release, you guys have been focusing on the features. But still, will it be localized in different languages than English in the future ?

3. SQLite editor : So now Coda 2 comes with a MySQL editor. Good feature, because every Mac app I tried for managing MySQL databases sucked. Only web-based ones were good (phpMyAdmin?). But PHP5 has been bundled with SQLite since its release if I'm not mistaken, which was in July 2004. Any plans on supporting SQLite ? Right now, there are NO good SQLite editor on the Mac (prior to knowing Navicat). You guys would be the first to have something so polished, something that actually works (and completely integrated, as opposed to Navicat).

4. Hidden files : I have a few .htaccess files in my site. I can toggle an option in Forklift to see them, but not in Coda 2. Any plans to implement this feature ? Or any workaround maybe ?

5A. Rewritten URLs : I forgot how we call this, I forgot the exact term, but my website has pages that are physically located at http://localhost/pages/news.php , but they are displayed only if you go to http://localhost/news/ . As another example, http://localhost/pag...trike_in_quebec can be accessed by going to http://localhost/new...rike_in_quebec/ . It causes a problem when I am testing pages on my localhost server. Coda 2 has the tendency to go to the page itself at http://localhost/pages/news.php, when in fact I would like it to go to the rewritten URL and test it there. 5B. I have the same request when I want to validate my HTML code. It cannot validate it if it doesn't have the full portrait of the code with the included pages and everything. It cannot validate it just by analyzing the code in "news.php", when there is an include for the header and another one for the footer.

This next one is just me being picky, I don?t really mind so much about it :

6. Color picker's magnifying glass algorithm : It's just a suggestion, and I am not even sure my solution would help, since I have not seen it in person. The magnifying glass gets annoying if you play around with it in the color picker while building a CSS sheet. Let's say you're choosing a red. What I would do is separate the huge square palette displaying all shades of reds into 4 equal quadrants. Each time the magnifying glass crosses a quadrant, it reorients itself so that the magnifying glass doesn't enter in collision with the borders. Right now, although the algorithm works, it seems to reorient itself pretty often, at random times.

It doesn?t have a particularly appealing UI, it isn?t integrated in a web editor like it would be with Coda, but seriously, thanks, it?s the first SQL editor that I see out there that actually looks great on first use. All the others I?ve tried sucked because of their bad interface or they were poor ports from Windows to the Mac, or they were filled with bugs.

How does the Coda 2 MySQL editor compare with Sequel Pro?