Italy "dog and cat tax" muzzled after uproar

(Reuters) - A proposal to levy a tax on cats and dogs that stunned Italy on Friday turned out to be all bark and no bite after a wave of popular anger saw it withdrawn on the same day it was made public.

Italy was abuzz for hours after local media reported that a parliamentary commission had proposed a tax on domestic "animals of affection" to raise revenue for debt-strapped cities and towns.

Protests were voiced by everyone from animal rights groups - who said it would prompt more people to abandon animals - to politicians who called it everything from "grotesque" to "surreal" to "idiotic" to "shameful".

There was so much reaction - all of it incredulous - that one Italian agency ran nearly 40 news items on the proposal in less than four hours.

The proposal was withdrawn by early Friday evening however, and it seemed everyone on the commission where it was discussed was denying its paternity.

"The only thing that's left to tax are wives and children," said parliamentarian Domenico Scilipoti.

Italy, like many other countries across the euro zone, is struggling to revive its economy and reduce its public debt, a predicament that has prompted the country's lawmakers to try to dream up new revenue-raising measures.

source

I bet lots of Places have a 'tax' on pets.

Here in Queensland, Australia, I pay about $30 a year for my (de-sexed) dog.

A non-de-sexed dog (same breed I have) was $100.

Rates vary (I think) depending on breed and if the animal is de-sexed.

NSW has a once off fee for the life of the animal.

I'd love not to have to pay at all. Whingers.

We don't have such a tax, neither does Kazakhstan and Spain, that's from personal experience.

Sp that's four countries where you don't have this silly tax, do you want to change your bet??

Get off your asses and do something about it why the hell are you OK with it!?

Really, you think governments are going to give up an income source? What colour is the sky in your world? It would take literly EVERY pet owner to complain, and most probably won't.

(I did write a letter of complaint personally, particularly since its done on financial year, so my first registration paid, 2 months later had to pay again, never got anything back)

It worked there because it was a proposal, here its been in for years.

Most people here are too lazy to do anything in that regard, then when they do something, they do it stupidly (the recent QLD state election - case in point)

No, most people don't give a rats, like me.

Although in saying that, I haven't registered my dog in Brisbane City Council. Why? I never got around to it.

I didn't for 3 or so years, only did it on council advice to shut-up a nosey neighbor who claimed my dog bit one of her kids.

(we had babies in the house, attacking him a lot, and all he'd do was move away from them)

Nashy :D. Never pay governments or private companies any more then you have to :D