I have played it, and nope, it is so far removed from the old Ghost Recon it is not funny, although the reloading icon is still the same.

:laugh:

Not much of a similarity when the one feature that appears the same is the reloading icon, haha.

I'm really digging the game however I have just ran into a pretty big issue, there are some stacking issue with squadmates getting stuck on terrain and when you stack on the door they never seem to show up seems like a large oversight seeing as you cannot leave your position and find out where the heck they are. I had to restart an entire PITA level on elite just to fix the issue.

Sure thing. (Y)

So I still have yet to play MP, really expected to do so, but I got caught up in the SP.

It is very much along the lines of the Advanced Warfighter titles, again they have just really simplified the squad mechanics.

But it is still based on tactical gameplay most of the time. There are parts of the game that you actually have to start over if you set the "alarm," which can be as simple as being detected by an enemy. So it still requires being smart about situations. The biggest difference is the technology at ones disposal is more advanced then it ever has been, so in a way it makes the game easier, but it also reflects reality as it is the type of tech they have at their disposal.

So yeah, I really do think overall it is a progression of the tech used by the soldiers but also trying to keep up with the joneses so to speak, and not making it so incredibly tactics based that people who prefer a Call Of Duty/Battlefield would not want to check this game out. Thing is, I still am not sure if that crowd would like this game, even with the obvious changes the game has made trying to capture their interest.

So really I would say if you liked the Advanced Warfighter games, there is no major reason you would not like this one. Naturally some people are going to feel it has been to simplified, but also if you ramp up the difficulty, it makes it pretty damn hard, and you have to be incredibly calculated in your approach.

I just personally love surveying an area, and then proceeding through that area like a bad ass and taking out everyone as stealth as possible.

I really want to play MP sooner than later, I feel if I wait to long people are just going to be insane ranks, so once I do check it out, will come back and good my final opinion so to speak. But I do think the SP is solid, and not as big of a deviation as people are perhaps thinking it is. There are a few things that seem out of place in a GR game, like on on rails main the gun on a helicopter sequence, but it is incredibly short, and you actually still have to think while doing it a bit.

So I think the game is indeed worth checking out, but I also do not think it is a game that is a must play either. if you are on the fence about it still, may be worth passing on until a price drop or you have nothing else occupying your gaming time. MP can make me change my opinion to it is a must play, and I will share the fact what sealed the deal for me deciding on pre-ordering the game was participating in the MP beta. I loved the pacing and the fact it was still very much tactical and team oriented. I also think if one has 3 good friends that also own the game, that the 4 Player CoOp for the SP is probably a really damn good time, IF everyone plays it seriously.

Thanks, man, really appreciate it. The part I bolded, I'm with you - that's what I loved about R6 and GR. Does the game allow you to progress an area without being so linear? Like you have multiple options/directions you can go to complete a level?

Thanks, man, really appreciate it. The part I bolded, I'm with you - that's what I loved about R6 and GR. Does the game allow you to progress an area without being so linear? Like you have multiple options/directions you can go to complete a level?

It has so far been a combination of fairly linear combined with open approach, definitely.

Most of the levels have been outdoors, so there are multiple paths to the same end result.

One of the better examples so far of a more open approach is infiltrating what is basically a huge factory. There is also a little soccer field on said factory that some soldiers are killing time on.

IIRC, there were 12 soldiers total, and it was a pretty damn big space, so there were multiple ways to go about doing it.

Also the game also gives 3 "tactical" challenges per level, and most of them are along the lines of kill people without being detected. For example the scenario I gave above, the one challenge was kill the 4 soliders playing soccer without the other soldiers seeing. Was very difficult to achieve, and I actually never did, sure enough the very last soldier got alerted. Was ****ed. But I plan on going back to do it again, as I know how to do it now.

Actually I found the exact tactical challenges for the level I am talking about...

• Fast Mover: Go through the village in under 60 seconds without any civilians dying
  • Clear the Pitch: Eliminate all the mercs playing soccer without raising the alarm
  • No Blood No Foul: Infiltrate the outpost, retrieve the data, and extract without raising the alarm.

So that scenario is a fairly good example of where there are multiple ways to take the same people out.

An example of a more linear level, and you may have seen some videos of it as it was one of the levels they focused on real early on in the marketing stuff, was a battle that takes place on the streets of I believe it is Pakistan, and there is pretty much just one street to push through, but it is one of the better levels I have played in a game in awhile. Civilians running around the street amid the chaos just adds a pretty insane level of realism. Definitely a good level, although it is quite linear.

So there seems to be a pretty recent mix of both more linear and more open. But the linear is not so linear since most of it is outside and not indoors, so it is streets and rooftops or villages as opposed to corridors, so does not seem so confined.

Unfortunately I have not had any time to play it really since I played it last weekend. Hoping that changes this weekend.

• 3 months later...

Just finished the game after waiting for a while to play this.. I'm a huge fan of Ghost Recon series and i have to say this one didn't disappoint. The gameplay was great, all the gadgets and stuff was great.

I felt that customizing weapons was completely pointless.. I mean yeah, it was cool to do it once but then after a while I really kind of felt the guns all felt the same in the game to the point of customizing them was pointless.

It was a nice touch though.. Liked changing camos at least.

Overall the story was ok, something to be expected but not really as immersive as previous ones. I felt it needed some twists and turns and it never happened. The end was pretty abrupt too.

I did enjoy it though.. I just wish they would build games like this and do episodic content and add more gadgets and stuff in the form of DLCs and not just multiplayer stuff.

thanks for sharing Boz, still playing the SP like three months after getting this :D i've been reduced to wannabe gamer status.

the MP i gave up on, way too hard for me.

Whoever bumped this post, thanks. I bought this game and still haven't logged more than about 5 hours on it total. I completely forgot about it even. I've only played it in the two player mode too. I think I need to fire this up when I get home tonight.