Reminiscing Neowin

Ahh the good old days. I used to post so much back then but now, everything is almost quiet. As if there is nothing interesting to post or read.

I liked that old logo. it inspired by the old intel inside logo. I also remembered the crazy "post your" threads like "post your toliet paper", "post your rug size", etc. lol.

My most humerous memory if this site is about the user "The Pink Panther". Threads such as:

Eating people

How he'd kill himself if his mother ever saw him naked

How he is supremely intelligent, and everyone just loves to missunderstand him.

I'd love to see how he's grown up. It's made me so nostalgic I may change my sig :)

I remember Pinky (he didn't like been called pinky :laugh: ) Also remember Strypr( I think that was the name), always full of fun, but also quite fragile.

My most humerous memory if this site is about the user "The Pink Panther". Threads such as:

Eating people

How he'd kill himself if his mother ever saw him naked

How he is supremely intelligent, and everyone just loves to missunderstand him.

I'd love to see how he's grown up. It's made me so nostalgic I may change my sig :)

I do remember a dozen or so members swapping their avatars to yours... that was a bit funny. (as a regular member of course :p)

Regarding the screenshot in the OP: that was roughly the same time I started lurking on this site. The Christmas theme of 2004 was pretty neat!

I liked that old logo. it inspired by the old intel inside logo. I also remembered the crazy "post your" threads like "post your toliet paper", "post your rug size", etc. lol.

Crazy polls like that were still around a mere two, three years ago :p topics like "how long do you pee" or "do you do your business in the shower" lol

• Like 2

Crazy polls like that were still around a mere two, three years ago :p topics like "how long do you pee" or "do you do your business in the shower" lol

No worries, I can step up the crazy game to old glory again! :)

Glassed Silver:mac

Wow do those pics take me back. Although this is a new profile, I was reading the site a couple of months after it came up. I've been here for almost all the ride. Good job, Neobond and company!

Hehe memories :)

Neowin has come along way undergone plenty of changes and just keeps getting better imo. The one thing that hasnt changed though is it being a great place to get answers or to just hang out :)

I also miss the old days, I have noticed how slow the forums have turned when compared to just a few years ago, I too feel like there aren't too many Beta OS related topics like there used to be, like back around the time of the XP Beta days, it was so exciting back then, I remember me rushing from work to turn on my PC just to search for the latest leaked XP screen shots in these forum and others like iexbeta etc.

However as a whole I think many things are not popular on the internet anymore as they used to be, take for example IRC, Newsgroups, Chat sites etc, I remember connecting to sites such as talkcity.com and finding hundreds of thousands of people grouped in chat rooms with topical chats about just everything under the sun, everything seems to circle around social sites these days though, they are the new trend, I think at some point this will also pass and we will see other things, maybe we will see a retro comeback of things like forums etc when the craze of social networks dies out? I also think people are also just too busy with real life issues now, things like looking for a job, the economy in general keeps people with little desire to post.

• Like 4

I also miss the old days, I have noticed how slow the forums have turned when compared to just a few years ago, I too feel like there aren't too many Beta OS related topics like there used to be, like back around the time of the XP Beta days, it was so exciting back then, I remember me rushing from work to turn on my PC just to search for the latest leaked XP screen shots in these forum and others like iexbeta etc.

However as a whole I think many things are not popular on the internet anymore as they used to be, take for example IRC, Newsgroups, Chat sites etc, I remember connecting to sites such as talkcity.com and finding hundreds of thousands of people grouped in chat rooms with topical chats about just everything under the sun, everything seems to circle around social sites these days though, they are the new trend, I think at some point this will also pass and we will see other things, maybe we will see a retro comeback of things like forums etc when the craze of social networks dies out? I also think people are also just too busy with real life issues now, things like looking for a job, the economy in general keeps people with little desire to post.

This.

And I absolutely share your sentiments towards betas...

It used to be crazy, wild, exciting and everything else...

Nowadays it's so meh...

Things get announced way before or they are hidden successfully...

Here is a photo I took of my desk back in October 2004. Shown is the Neowin main news site with midnight theme selected. lol XP, CRT monitor, beige colour, dvds, the crappy speakers.

It doesn't look like that now. Completely different now :p

post-30282-0-51999400-1337845980_thumb.j

Here is a photo I took of my desk back in October 2004. Shown is the Neowin main news site with midnight theme selected. lol XP, CRT monitor, beige colour, dvds, the crappy speakers.

It doesn't look like that now. Completely different now :p

Wow those promos didn't last long either :p Thanks for the pic!

• Like 2

Neowin used to be like TechTV, now its just a G4

But without Olivia Munn or Candice Bailey :-P

I was here during the ikonboard days. Good times. I wish this was still primarily a tweak site to be honest, but there's not much content there these days :)

• 1 month later...

Forgot about this forum!

Oh and who remembers the infamous Snyper haha! great old days!

I remember those days.

Forgot about this forum!

Oh and who remembers the infamous Snyper haha! great old days!

Snyper is most certainly an icon of Neowin!

• Like 3

I was definitely lurking on Neowin long before I signed up for an account and started posting.

I think the problems some have mentioned stem from what's happend to the whole internet--it's not just nerds here anymore, everybody is here, and the overall IQ of the internet has dropped. The whole "rage from behind the screen" thing has become almost a glorified subculture, and people don't just act like regular people on here anymore. Seems like a lot more folks acted online more like they did IRL than is the case today.

The good news is that it's not just Neowin, it's nothing we're doing wrong here IMO. The bad news? It's not going to be something we can really fix...

Oh Jesus... Don't you just love how archive.org always manages to leave out a ton of graphics on websites?

It's ridiculous that my "save website as" browser feature does a better job than a dedicated archiving team dedicating a whole website with tons of server capacity for that purpose... :rolleyes:

I think the demographics have changed which is causing the slowdown in the forums here. Heck I stopped coming for a bit because what I saw wasn't piquing my interest.

There wasn't any real interesting topics going on in the general or hardware hangout. I've been around Neowin for a long long time and seen it go through rough times to gaining popularity.