Photo

Why are you less active than you used to on the Neowin forums?

neowin community navel gazing activity lack thereof

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

Poll: Why are you less active than you used to on the Neowin forums? (333 member(s) have cast votes)

Why are you less active than you used to on the Neowin forums, or what prevents you from being more active?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,484 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:35

The idea of this poll comes from the Reminiscing Neowin thread. We all know that activity on the forums has gone down considerably - there used to be ~3,000 posts a day on average, now we're in the ~1,000-1,500 posts a day range (extrapolated from the top 20 posters list). It's an anonymous, multiple choice poll. The choices were added in no particular order.

I'd be particularly interested to hear from longstanding members of the community - those who went from very active to lurking and posting once in a blue moon.

Personally, I don't have a lot of complaints currently. There is one recent staff promotion I do not agree with - a global moderator whose posts reek of condescension towards members in threads about a beta operating system should have been reprimanded rather than made supervisor. Alas, that's just my personal opinion; I'm sure senior staff had their reason to promote him.

Let's see if this thread can gain any traction and help to find out why forum activity is down as much as it is.

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,541 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:39

For me, I would say that I'm more active than I used to be. Out of all of the posts that I've made I would say that a majority of them have been in the past couple of years.

#3 MarkusDarkus

MarkusDarkus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,509 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:41

Isn't that because Rappy went on sabbatical?

Seriously though. For me it's because I'm now in a full time job which is quite demanding so I don't have the chance to browse and look for things to comment on like I used to. Also the topics in the spy aren't as IT related and controversial as they used to be. I remember opening many tabs on Neowin and arguing on many topics at the same time ha ha.

#4 MarkusDarkus

MarkusDarkus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,509 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:42

Also. Relationships. I spend more time snuggling than surfing now. ;)

#5 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,881 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:44

Great idea, as for the promotion.. I know who you are talking about and our decisions in the past have never been without a little controversy. Without sounding too condescending or patronizing I personally believe there is a place for everyone and I was in the same mindset as others when it was originally discussed. Since the promotion took place I can't think of anything that person has done out of place and really, he needs to be given a chance, just like we (Neowin Staff) have done!

I'm also interested in hearing how we can turn things around, do people enjoy From the Forums features? Should we do them more often? Should we start a thread where members can suggest such topics for a main page feature? Stuff like that would be helpful. I've been doing Member reviews on main for ages, but I can't do them every week because there simply isn't a new one every week, and when there is it sometimes isn't suited to main.

#6 pto

pto

Neowinian Senior

• 2,160 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:45

in this for the long haul! i don't use windows anymore so that contributes to my lack of posting a little bit. we could use a bulletin board, almost like the guide section but with a better ranking system. Also maybe a fewer number of forums and/or sub-forums.

#7 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:46

Certain staff members stop me posting as much, not that I ever posted a lot in the first place.

That and the MVCs, I certainly don't agree with a lot of the choices.

I frequent gaming orientated forums thesedays, them and Reddit.

#8 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,881 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:47

in this for the long haul! i don't use windows anymore so that contributes to my lack of posting a little bit. we could use a bulletin board, almost like the guide section but with a better ranking system. Also maybe a fewer number of forums and/or sub-forums.

Only two days ago I hid a lot of the forums that guests couldn't access, and a few like the Read only archive so the forums look a little less daunting.

#9 Coldgunner

Coldgunner

Neowinian Senior

• 6,263 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:47

Just lost interest really, gaming isn't as fun as it once was.

#10 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

• 3,730 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:51

It's because I seem to be a conversation stopper. Most threads I post on seem to end with my post unless I started the thread.

Also, I seem to get ignored a lot! It feels like my contributions are sort of uninteresting.

I'm not moaning as much as making an observation, maybe my posts are boring or irrelevant!

Oh anther reason is, I generally post/read interesting mini spy threads that catch my eye. Problem with that is, the same threads are generally there for days at a time while there are hot debates about certain things. That's fine but after a certain point, people just start repeating the same thing over and over, generally getting into an argument about some sidetracked issue. "you're putting words in my mouth, this is my opinion, you're simply wrong" etc, it really does get boring,

#11 MarkusDarkus

MarkusDarkus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,509 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:58

Stuff like this

I'm also interested in hearing how we can turn things around, do people enjoy From the Forums features? Should we do them more often? Should we start a thread where members can suggest such topics for a main page feature?

From the Forums is AWESOME. Thank you guys for that!!!!!!!!!! It brings cool needles out of the massive haystack that is Neowin and definitely gets me posting more. Keep up things like this. I think tho that we should have competitions (Not even with prizes) just to build competition and effort on the forums. Like Best Desktop of the month! Games are good on here too I miss them.

I'm a very competitive parson and I garuntee a lot of members here are hence all the arguments. leveraging that in a constructive way might be a winner.

#12 MarkusDarkus

MarkusDarkus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,509 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:59

Oh anther reason is, I generally post/read interesting mini spy threads that catch my eye. Problem with that is, the same threads are generally there for days at a time while there are hot debates about certain things. That's fine but after a certain point, people just start repeating the same thing over and over, generally getting into an argument about some sidetracked issue. "you're putting words in my mouth, this is my opinion, you're simply wrong" etc, it really does get boring,

I agree with that.

There you go Mark. The thread didn't stop with you! :)

#13 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,147 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:03

Too many religious/anti-religious republican/democrat zealots on here now!

#14 Daedroth

Daedroth

Neowinian

• 1,103 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:03

Oh anther reason is, I generally post/read interesting mini spy threads that catch my eye. Problem with that is, the same threads are generally there for days at a time while there are hot debates about certain things.

This basically sums up my posting.

I haven't been a member here for too long in the grand scheme of things, but I only post in threads that catch my eye in the minispy. But then again, even some that catch my eye, I read and feel I don't have anything to contribute, thus don't post.

#15 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,881 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:05

Stuff like this

.... I think tho that we should have competitions (Not even with prizes) just to build competition and effort on the forums. Like Best Desktop of the month! Games are good on here too I miss them.

I'm a very competitive parson and I garuntee a lot of members here are hence all the arguments. leveraging that in a constructive way might be a winner.

That's a great idea.. We can do some sort of monthly giveaway, but how would we vote on best desktop, staff shortlist a few and then members vote? We could also allow members to link to a post in that thread and then just select the person with the most votes?