Photo

Why are you less active than you used to on the Neowin forums?

neowin community navel gazing activity lack thereof

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

Poll: Why are you less active than you used to on the Neowin forums? (333 member(s) have cast votes)

Why are you less active than you used to on the Neowin forums, or what prevents you from being more active?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 vetmarkjensen

markjensen

Linux noob since Red Hat 5.1

• 24,502 posts
  • Phone: Android and iPhone

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:07

I used to be a extremely active participant and poster. Now I have posted maybe 4 times in 5 years, and would not have seen this if it weren't for a certain FB G+ friend of mine posting it (and I must say the title did catch my interest!).

A combination of a change in Neowin's focus (and all sites change, develop and grow - I am not saying change is bad), plus an increase in immature members. This caused emphasis away from technical topics and support, which holds my interest.

Neowin and I drifted apart.

And there is one other specific incident that influenced me. But that is not something for discussion.

BTW, Meph, great topic! It got me back, if only for a minute. :D

Edited by markjensen, 23 May 2012 - 10:09.

#17 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,741 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:07

Oh anther reason is, I generally post/read interesting mini spy threads that catch my eye. Problem with that is, the same threads are generally there for days at a time while there are hot debates about certain things. That's fine but after a certain point, people just start repeating the same thing over and over, generally getting into an argument about some sidetracked issue. "you're putting words in my mouth, this is my opinion, you're simply wrong" etc, it really does get boring,

This basically sums up my posting.

I haven't been a member here for too long in the grand scheme of things, but I only post in threads that catch my eye in the minispy. But then again, even some that catch my eye, I read and feel I don't have anything to contribute, thus don't post.

Do you ever use this? http://www.neowin.ne...arch_app=forums It's up on the nav bar but maybe we can make it stand out a bit better?

#18 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,741 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:09

And there is one other specific incident that influenced me. But that is not something for discussion.

BTW, Meph, great topic! It got me back, if only for a minute. :D

We can discuss it in the Vet lounge if you want :)

#19 Daedroth

Daedroth

Neowinian

• 1,103 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:12

Do you ever use this? http://www.neowin.ne...arch_app=forums It's up on the nav bar but maybe we can make it stand out a bit better?

I've never used that, but I have used the full 'Spy' app on rare occasions (by clicking on the Mini Spy hyperlink). However I don't really use it much, well, because I forget to. :|

#20 Cereal Bawks

Cereal Bawks

Neowinian

• 240 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:13

The moderation on these forums is heavily biased to sheltering idiots. You're essentially free acting like a naive idiot, spreading ignorant untruths as you please, but as soon someone comes up with a rebuttal that includes just slightly hinting at the effortlessness and idiocy behind various claims, the almighty eye of the administration rises on the horizon. As such, informative posts may just go under in the noise more often than not.

#21 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,741 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:16

The moderation on these forums is heavily biased to sheltering idiots. You're essentially free acting like a naive idiot, spreading ignorant untruths as you please, but as soon someone comes up with a rebuttal that includes just slightly hinting at the effortlessness and idiocy behind various claims, the almighty eye of the administration rises on the horizon. As such, informative posts may just go under in the noise more often than not.

Taking this onboard and will definitely discuss this with all forum moderators, this comes up more frequently than I'd like.

Edit: New from the forums feature http://www.neowin.ne...-neowin-readers

#22 MarkusDarkus

MarkusDarkus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,509 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:27

That's a great idea.. We can do some sort of monthly giveaway, but how would we vote on best desktop, staff shortlist a few and then members vote? We could also allow members to link to a post in that thread and then just select the person with the most votes?

Yea. I remember that Windows 7 logo on another site was a riot! I don't know how flexible the forums are but your method would work. How feasible it would be to have a gallery to upload images to and people can view, vote and comment on the images in a easier way?

#23 Cereal Bawks

Cereal Bawks

Neowinian

• 240 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:27

Taking this onboard and will definitely discuss this with all forum moderators, this comes up more frequently than I'd like.

That's nice to hear. But I fear this is going nowhere either way. This has been a visible point of contention with a bunch of ex-superstar members here over years, but they have been shot down to promote a nicer community.

Other communities, like for instance Ars Technica, they are fine with a rough tone, and it can get pretty rough if someone comes along posting unresearched/no-effort things, and it is reflected in the quality of content within their threads (which is surprisingly good, as opposed to what one might have assumed). Despite that, they seem to be doing well. If you were to transplant that community here, it'd be smashed to smithereens under the banhammer.

#24 Mohitster

Mohitster

Neowinian

• 1,450 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 525

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:29

What about quality of articles on the front page? Shouldn't that be a point as well? May be it's me, but I don't really like the quality of articles on the home page except the detailed product reviews done by Tim Schiesser which I found a breath of fresh air when those started......particularly when I got really tired spotting too many spelling mistakes from certain someone's articles all the time or articles which simply seemed like a copy paste from the actual article i.e. quoting/unquoting too much...... and that too on the home page. And very frankly I never had to try too hard - it just gets really irritating to concentrate on the actual topic or content of the article when such aspects are that visible!

#25 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,741 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:32

That's nice to hear. But I fear this is going nowhere either way. This has been a visible point of contention with a bunch of ex-superstar members here over years, but they have been shot down to promote a nicer community.

Other communities, like for instance Ars Technica, they are fine with a rough tone, and it can get pretty rough if someone comes along posting unresearched/no-effort things, and it is reflected in the quality of content within their threads (which is surprisingly good, as opposed to what one might have assumed). Despite that, they seem to be doing well. If you were to transplant that community here, it'd be smashed to smithereens under the banhammer.

I'm fine with a rougher tone as long as it isn't abused, for example in the RWI area it doesn't take much before people are openly victimizing each other.

#26 Cereal Bawks

Cereal Bawks

Neowinian

• 240 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:32

I don't frequent RWI that much, but religion and politics are bee's nests either way.

#27 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,741 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:33

What about quality of articles on the front page? Shouldn't that be a point as well? May be it's me, but I don't really like the quality of articles on the home page except the detailed product reviews done by Tim Schiesser which I found a breath of fresh air when those started......particularly when I got really tired spotting too many spelling mistakes from certain someone's articles all the time or articles which simply seemed like a copy paste from the actual article i.e. quoting/unquoting too much...... and that too on the home page. And very frankly I never had to try too hard - it just gets really irritating to concentrate on the actual topic or content of the article when such aspects are that visible!

The impressions to articles has overtaken the forums quite significantly, it has shot up and stayed consistent for the past year whereas before it was always sporadic, and definitely the amount of hits we're getting now when we were copy/pasting other websites articles.

#28 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,376 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:39

The worst era of the Neowin forums imho was the 2006/2007 period when too much activity came from 'Snyper and his nuthugging groupies' (to paraphrase an ex-mod). It made a joke out of the community, and not a good one at that.

He's probably grown up in the years since his ban, but at the time I wasn't sad at all to see Snyper gone. Despite the shocked reactions from a lot of members.

#29 vetOwen W

Owen W

I'll tell you your mobile sucks.

• 2,871 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:41

Social media, to be honest killed forums for me. The format of forums is just too stagnant and old, and not dynamic enough for me.

#30 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:46

Stuff like this

From the Forums is AWESOME. Thank you guys for that!!!!!!!!!! It brings cool needles out of the massive haystack that is Neowin and definitely gets me posting more. Keep up things like this. I think tho that we should have competitions (Not even with prizes) just to build competition and effort on the forums. Like Best Desktop of the month! Games are good on here too I miss them.

I'm a very competitive parson and I garuntee a lot of members here are hence all the arguments. leveraging that in a constructive way might be a winner.

This, and the thing about the games shall be fixed soon by me. (Y)
I'll kick up the A vs B game again and come up with new games.

@Neobond:
I'm working on my "pseudo-editorial" series, I'll hand in the first article rather soon, can't give any dates, though. :)

Glassed Silver:mac