Gay Superhero to be Outed

The creators of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and more say one of their major characters is coming out of the closet.

A DC Comics co-publisher says the company is re-writing a popular character as gay starting soon.

The goal is to serve a more diverse fan base.

The move comes just a year after a comic series "re-boot" which re-started the story lines of all the characters we know and love.

source

post-37120-0-08016200-1337780053_thumb.j

Yes. The gay angle is yet to be explored for all superheroes and superheroines.

Nope. Memembers within Watchmen, Authority, Gen13, Alpha Flight and quite a few more have been openly gay.

Bet a lot of old fans will have problems with this--not because they're homophobic, but because they're changing an established character. Like the TMNT-turn-aliens thing. UNLESS it's the sort of thing where the character was meant to be gay all along, the signs were there, but society wasn't ready for it until now, and the original creator intended it to be that way.

Otherwise, why not create a new character?

I like the idea of it being Catwoman or Wonder Woman :p but I also kind of hope it's Superman, as he is one of the most popular, and that might help more children and young people understand/learn that same-sex attraction is just as normal as opposite-sex attraction.

I like the idea of it being Catwoman or Wonder Woman :p but I also kind of hope it's Superman, as he is one of the most popular, and that might help more children and young people understand/learn that same-sex attraction is just as normal as opposite-sex attraction.

Aww, I hope it isn't. I always wanted to be Lois Lane growing up :laugh:

(waiting for you to respond: "me too" -- hehe)

Bet a lot of old fans will have problems with this--not because they're homophobic, but because they're changing an established character. Like the TMNT-turn-aliens thing. UNLESS it's the sort of thing where the character was meant to be gay all along, the signs were there, but society wasn't ready for it until now, and the original creator intended it to be that way.

Otherwise, why not create a new character?

As long as the character hasn't been involved in any storylines that show he or she is definitely heterosexual, DC Comics could just excuse this change by maintaining that this is merely an aspect of the character that wasn't previously revealed :) Well, I think that would be fine of them to do :)

Aww, I hope it isn't. I always wanted to be Lois Lane growing up :laugh:

(waiting for you to respond: "me too" -- hehe)

Oh, I forgot about Lois Lane :/ Heh. Considering the post I've just submitted, Superman coming out as gay would definitely be them changing the character, heh :D

I was going to say Aquaman but he was never popular.

all he does is talk to fish, Him and Kanye would make a great couple. Since they are both Gay fish
  • Like 1

I was going to say Aquaman but he was never popular.

Which would be the perfect argument to make him gay... lol I mean, let's be honest here, it isn't going to be anyone that's really popular. lol

And while I applaud Marvel's plans to publish a wedding and everything, this announcement from DC just seems too "Me too"...

And I agree with Charisma as well, the fans aren't going to like any change like this for a character...

why not just make an all new gay superhero? i dont like when they just change stuff for the sake of changing.

I personally don't think that would have the same effect from an educational point of view. Superheroes like Batman and Superman are popular with even today's children :)

why not just make an all new gay superhero? i dont like when they just change stuff for the sake of changing.

I think it's like George Takei said about homosexual characters in Trek. They've always been there, but they just don't mince around like queens. Example: Lt. Hawk from First Contact was a gay character according to the production notes. Say, Aquaman (for example) if has never had a hetro relationship... Who says he's not always been gay.

Also, bringing in a new gay character, it would be very hard for his sexuality to not be the thing that he is known for - rather than Aquaman who's known for chatting with fish and stuff!

I have nothing against gay people but I swear to god if they make Superman gay and put a pink dress on him I am going to scream!!!! :(

Superman is the greatest Super hero of all time and there is no way in hell you can make him gay!

I know for a fact that superman likes T & A :)