Buying the new iPad tomorrow! Need advice on best apps, practices etc.

Buying the new iPad (32 GB WiFi) tomorrow! :D

This will be my very FIRST Apple device. So please help me get the most out of it! :)

I know that pod2g is almost done with his jailbreak for the new iPad with iOS 5.1.1. I was just wondering what are the best apps, tweaks, mods etc I can use that compensates for the restrictions and omissions in iOS.

that will take you a lot of time to learn, but its not that hard, you will evenutly know what you need and how to get it.

anyway just begin here:

Ultimate jailbreak and unlock wizard

iPhone Apps | Redmond Pie

iDownloadBlog ? iPhone ? iPad ? iOS Blog

and as you've said it, almost 3 more days and we will have a jailbreak ready for 5.1.1 which will give you alot of other option with cydia installed.

just get prepaid now by installing the latest itunes, make an account in the app store, and have alook around to see whats app and games u like and make alist with it....

Thanks for those links Wildies! :)

Already have iTunes setup with an Apple ID. Have also shortlisted apps and games. Also have the 5.1.1 iOS firmware file ready to patch with Absinthe! :D

I just wanted to know what tweaks, mods and apps people use from Cydia; the App Store is easy. :)

Update: Almost NO store (online or brick and mortar) out here has the white iPad in stock!!! They all only have the black, which I don't want! :(

I find the black too plain, the white on the other hand looks awesome! I have paid a small deposit at a store, they will get it for me from their warehouse in another city next week sometime. :)

Yes, I know there are hundreds of tweaks in Cydia, that is why I wanted people to recommend what they use! Thanks for the YouTube link, will check it out! :)

I ALWAYS install Tab+ it allows you to have an infinite number of tabs in Safari, instead of the 8 for iPhone and iPod (And I believe 9 on the iPad) And it's free to boot. ^_^

that will take you a lot of time to learn, but its not that hard, you will evenutly know what you need and how to get it.

anyway just begin here:

Ultimate jailbreak and unlock wizard

iPhone Apps | Redmond Pie

iDownloadBlog ? iPhone ? iPad ? iOS Blog

and as you've said it, almost 3 more days and we will have a jailbreak ready for 5.1.1 which will give you alot of other option with cydia installed.

just get prepaid now by installing the latest itunes, make an account in the app store, and have alook around to see whats app and games u like and make alist with it....

Alot of the games for iOS leave alot to be desired though, if you're into Nintendo DS style apps, you'll love the iTunes store, but for someone like me that only likes Console or PC games, they're not worth your time or money.

I ALWAYS install Tab+ it allows you to have an infinite number of tabs in Safari, instead of the 8 for iPhone and iPod (And I believe 9 on the iPad) And it's free to boot. ^_^

Cool, thanks! :)

Alot of the games for iOS leave alot to be desired though, if you're into Nintendo DS style apps, you'll love the iTunes store, but for someone like me that only likes Console or PC games, they're not worth your time or money.

Although I mainly play PC games, I do play mobile games once in a while.

I am more interested in apps for the iPad. :)

here is a quick list of the tweaks running on my ipad2, that i can't live without.

Alwaysarrange (lets you move the icons around without having to hold down to go into wiggle mode)

Applocker (I use this to block access to some things for my kids, it can basically password any folder or icon)

Activator (no brainer, its a requirment and adds alot of functionality for gestures)

Winterboard (allow for custom themes)

Black Ups Darkness Ipad (Custom theme, one of the best for ipad)

Doubleat ( allows you to set an email address in the settings, that will auto type when you press @ twice. awesome tweak for when you have to sign into email, facebook etc)

iFile (obviously it's a file explorer)

IkeyWi for ipad (AMAZING.. can't live without it. Adds a customizable 5th row to your keyboard. I add keys for .ca .com .net etc..)

iSHSHit (easy way to backup your shsh blob, which you may need for a restore or a downgrade at some point. Cydia backs these up automatically, but it's nice to email yourself a copy too)

multiiconmover (name says it all, allows you to move multiple icons at once)

Quasar (multitasking app, allows you to adjust app size so you can have multiple apps running in front of you )

Scrollingboard (allows for unlimited apps in folder (default is like 20, then you have to make a new folder) and also allows for a scrolling dock, which is awesome)

SBSettings (allows quick access to toggle just about anything off and on and reboot the device)

Software Update Killer (obviously blocks the phone from showing updates which will remove your jailbreak)

Springtomize (too many features to name, you really have to explore this app, it does just about everything you can think of as far as customization goes)

Swipeselection (you'll have to youtube this one, it's hard to explain, but allows for easy highlighting characters in notes)

Xbackup (easily backup all your cydia sources and tweaks)

I have more recommendations, but they are for a pm :p Send me a message if you need help.

While this isn't an app/tool available via Cydia, be sure to grab AppsGoneFree from the App Store. They have quite a lot of iPad games listed per day, and all for free. If you're lucky, some of the deals may be well known names (I.e. Wolfenstein 3D)

The App Store may have a lot of crap on it, but this is a good way to pick out some of the better quality selections.

here is a quick list of the tweaks running on my ipad2, that i can't live without.

snip

While this isn't an app/tool available via Cydia, be sure to grab AppsGoneFree from the App Store. They have quite a lot of iPad games listed per day, and all for free. If you're lucky, some of the deals may be well known names (I.e. Wolfenstein 3D)

The App Store may have a lot of crap on it, but this is a good way to pick out some of the better quality selections.

Wow, thanks a LOT for all that info Bubbabyte! And you too Denis W for that AppsGoneFree tip! :)

I still haven't got my iPad though yet...the guys at the store said they should get a shipment next week sometime. Really ridiculous, NONE of the stores here in my city have it! There seems to be some crazy serious shortage! :(

I should be getting my new iPad tonight...keeping my fingers tightly crossed! :)

I should be getting my new iPad tonight...keeping my fingers tightly crossed! :)

You're in luck! The Absinthe 2.0 jailbreak was just released a few days ago. I've applied it to mine and it works great. It's honestly the snappiest I've ever seen Cydia run. They did a damn good job with it.

Do not buy a smart cover with your iPad. You'll use it a few times and then you will go out and buy a real case. So save your money. Also wait on buying a dock for it until you get the case and see if you really need it. most cases will make it so the iPad wont' fit in the dock.

You're in luck! The Absinthe 2.0 jailbreak was just released a few days ago. I've applied it to mine and it works great. It's honestly the snappiest I've ever seen Cydia run. They did a damn good job with it.

Yes, I know about Absinthe. I'm following pod2g on Twitter. Good to know it works well. Apparently over 1 million iOS devices were jailbroken last weekend after the tool was released online! :)

Do not buy a smart cover with your iPad. You'll use it a few times and then you will go out and buy a real case. So save your money. Also wait on buying a dock for it until you get the case and see if you really need it. most cases will make it so the iPad wont' fit in the dock.

Hmmm, I did think of buying the Smart Cover initially, but found that there was no protection for the back, so decided against it. I did read a rumour sometime back that a new SC would be released soon with protection for the back.

Ok, will take a look at some docks. I currently have a scratch guard to protect the screen, figured I would just avoid putting the tablet on hard or rough surfaces until I get a proper case. :)

http://www.iclarifie.../ipad/index.php

has really good tutorials

Thanks for the link! :)

Buy a Windows or Android tablet. ;)

I was actually a hardcore Apple hater up until this point actually. I always considered their products way too overpriced and with too many flaws. But the new iPad is very competitively priced, and has very few flaws. iOS also has way more apps designed for tablets. And once it is jail broken, you can overcome many of Apple's restrictions, flaws etc. iOS apps are also consistent and well designed, something that Android apps lack. :)

Oh, and most importantly....that screen!! It is hands down, the BEST display I have ever seen on a mobile device! There is no other tablet that even comes close to the beauty of the Retina display! :)

The question is why wouldn't you mister?

Windows tablets have nothing special going for them currently. Sure, Windows 8 has been designed keeping tablets in mind, but how many apps are there? Unless you want a Windows tablet just to be able to run your regular Windows programs while on the move, which is silly really, seeing that they are in no way designed or optimised for touch.

A few years down the line, maybe. But currently, Apple is the best all rounder, with Android coming in second place.

If you want a really nice case, look into one of these:

http://www.padandqui...s-for-ipad.html

They are kind of pricey, but they disguise it as a book and it's really well made. I'm glad I spent the money to get one.

Hmmm, they do look good. But I will have to get someone to bring one down for me, that is unless they ship to India.

Thanks! :)

Windows tablets have nothing special going for them currently. Sure, Windows 8 has been designed keeping tablets in mind, but how many apps are there? Unless you want a Windows tablet just to be able to run your regular Windows programs while on the move, which is silly really, seeing that they are in no way designed or optimised for touch.

A few years down the line, maybe. But currently, Apple is the best all rounder, with Android coming in second place.

Just remember, Microsoft is just getting into the "tablet" game. Apple has already had experience in this "game" as they were like the "inventors" but for Microsoft, they're doing not too bad.

Just remember, Microsoft is just getting into the "tablet" game. Apple has already had experience in this "game" as they were like the "inventors" but for Microsoft, they're doing not too bad.

Yes, I agree. But Microsoft can only do so much. So can Apple or Android. Because it is not just the OS, but the applications and the overall eco-system that drive popularity. Take a look at app design for instance. Apple's rules are strict, so developers are forced to design their apps properly. Android on the other hand is open, so a lot of developers take shortcuts.

When you look at hardware, Apple again is number one. There is a proper though process behind their product design. And their QC procedures are far superior to other products, even in a similar price range. Now I know Google cannot be blamed here, as Android is just the OS. But they should have stricter rules and guidelines so that manufacturers cannot take shortcuts. Their self branded devices are very good, but the choices are extremely limited.