Horrible Day. Please be careful, wear a helmet.

Don't really know how to start, or what to say. Today has been the most traumatic of my life. I don't generally go to the internet with personal things, but today I feel I should.

At work today, there was an accident right outfront of my shop. A buddy of mine rode his 4-wheeler from the muffler shop next door and a truck pulling out of my shop was turning. My friend hit the truck, and it was gruesome. I didn't know it was him until I got to him while on the phone with 911.

I stayed there with him, checking his pulse and rubbing his chest telling him to hold on, and trying to comfort him, it was very strange. He just stared and was breathing strange. I looked behind his head at the road, and that is when I realized what I saw. I don't want to bear to many details, as I don't feel it would be right.

As soon as the EMTs arrived, his pulse dropped and he stopped breathing, and I told them and of course moved out of the way.

He was pronounced dead about 2 minutes later.

I've never truly been through this before, only having been through the death of one friend before. But being there, and seeing it, I'm fairly certain I'm still in shock. I don't know that it has set in yet. Watching someone, a buddy, die is now the hardest thing I've gone through, holding him as it happened. I cannot imagine his parents. He was only 20 and is survived by his son.

My warning is: Had he been wearing a helmet, he more than likely would have survived. I'm no detective, or EMT, but I am fairly certain what has turned into death, could have just been a concussion. I am deeply saddened by this, and I feel even more for his family and child. Please wear a helmet if you ride motorcycles, ATV's, etcetera. It is just silly not to. My thought go to his family. :/

R.I.P. Kevin Dewayne Carpenter. You will be missed.

And that's why the rule of wearing helmets while on bikes exists. What other bad thing about it is you don't wear helmet? then you get a fine.

And that's why the rule of wearing helmets while on bikes exists. What other bad thing about it is you don't wear helmet? then you get a fine.

And that is why certain people shouldn't respond to such posts. I am very sorry for your loss. I hope that you are doing alright.

I'm sorry for your loss. I've been in similar experiences where I've been beside my friend like that, it's certainly not nice. Although thankfully it wasn't life threatening for him, just in excruciating pain.

Thoughts go out to the family and friends. Talk it over with your family (I'm sure you have already), it may help with the shock.

Sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose someone close, but not in the same situation you just went through.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words a ton.

I'm trying to do other things to keep my mind clear. I think it is more denial than anything. The image just replays in my head, and it feels like it was a movie, or not real, like today never happened.

But it did.

Thanks for the support.

Truly can only say that I feel very bad for your lose. I ride a bicycle as my only method of transportation and always wear a helmet, in fact on the Navy base I work on, it is required that you have a helmet on when riding bicycle or motorcycle, and speaking from first hand experience, having been hit twice by cars while riding bike, the helmet is the only think that saved me!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words a ton.

I'm trying to do other things to keep my mind clear. I think it is more denial than anything. The image just replays in my head, and it feels like it was a movie, or not real, like today never happened.

But it did.

Thanks for the support.

I would just keep busy for awhile. It's going to hit you at some point. When it does, just remember that you have people that love you and that you had no control over what happened.

Very sorry to hear about that, I can't imagine going through what you did. Just remember he had a friend with him at the end instead of being there alone or with strangers. It will take time to come to terms with it all but you'll get through it. Condolences to you and his family.

Just remember mate, there's nothing else you could have done - in fact, you pretty much did everything perfectly. Sometimes in these scenarios you play back in your head, you think "maybe I could have done things differently", but well, you couldn't have. You did well, man.

Talking through these things helps too, both online and IRL.

Sorry for your loss mate :(

My sympathies go out to you and his family for his loss, it is a hard way to lose a friend and family member.

In the biking world we have a saying All The Gear All The Time as proper protection reduces risk .Yet even this is sometimes not enough a post yesteday from another forum related the sad loss of a collegue all togged up in the correct apparel travelling in convoy on his bike with his mates.He was struck head on from a car travelling in the opposite direction which had itself been t-boned by another vehicle coming out of a side street jumping a stop sign.He was also sadly pronouced dead on scene........

I'm truly sorry for your loss. I'm sure you were a great comfort to him before his passing, and despite the shock of it all, I am glad you were there. I know I'd hate to be alone in my last moments.

My heart goes out to his family. Hang in there, kind sir, you'll be okay. All of us here have got your back.

Oh no. :( I'm really sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how traumatizing it was to watch someone die especially when it's your friend. This shows why it's extremely important to always wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle.

I've seen a fatal accident, so I know how shocking it is, but for it to be a friend, must really be quite traumatic :(

If you think you could do with some counselling at some point, make sure you get it. It really can help you come to terms with stuff, even if you think it wouldn't.

<Snipped>

I remember I used to get made fun of at School for wearing a helmet on my push-bike. They would always ask me why I wore one. My answer was always

"In case I fall off". They always responded with

"Well don't fall off then".

Seriously?

I know that has been hard to cope with, and I hope you will be able to move on. I know how much you must be hurting from what you saw. Losing a friend is hard enough, but witnessing it... I cannot imagine.

I just moved to Texas, and was stunned to see a guy riding his Harley without a helmet. I don't like motorcycles anyway (high speed and no protection? HELLO!) but that is absolutely nuts.

Reading this actually made me start to feel ill ... I feel for you and him and his family ... silly mistake turned into a horrendous ordeal ... you did what you could ... you're probably a hero to his family for being the person who comforted him in his last minutes.

:(