Best rated or ranked paid Antivirus 2012, according to tests and user's

Question

Hello,

I have been doing some paid Antivirus software research on the internet, for the last couple days. I have come across a few names among what it seems to be the best in regards to user or pc press editors reviews and scores on different test like AV-Test and independent lab test. When it comes to reviews and thoughts there are mixed reviews and opinions. As far as the test concern, some are a little mixed, but mostly the one which seems the best antivirus programs, are usually in the best ranking across different testers. Anyway, the names I got are Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2012, Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012, for some reason I still see Norton, even though I thought it was not one of the best anymore, compared to others.I also saw Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete (although it's $79.99, for 15 months, 3 pcs). The first I saw as a really good one was ESET NOD32 5, as matter of fact in a thread in this forum it was one of the most mentioned ones. So after I did this research, I came across a possible conclusion, that Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2012 seems to have the highest results in different testing done by different testers, like AV-TEST and independent labs. So would you agree that when I receive my new laptop in a week, which has Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits, Intel Core i5 (second gen), 6 GB of ram and 500 GB of hard drive storage, that would you recommend me to buy the 1 year licence for single pc of Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2012, for $39.95 ???

Hello,

I have been doing some paid Antivirus software research on the internet, for the last couple days.

So you want us to do your job for you? That's nice. :s

post some task manager screenshots please....

11mfbys.jpg

Another problem I had with avast was that it would use loads of cpu when i'm running programs, which slowed my computer down. I haven't had that problem so far with Avira.

they came 11th in detection tests: http://www.av-compar...t_201209_en.pdf

it scored just 58/100 in malware detection tests (admittedly it was late 2011 when the testing was done): http://www.av-compar...m_201111_en.pdf

kaspersky, avira and bitdefender always perform well in all tests and have done for a very long time. Eset is much weaker than these 3.

I personally use Avira free and Comodo firewall, i have ad-aware and spybot installers incase i get some malware that i can't remove but i don't have those installed.

Comparatives.org is hardly a reputable source, they're known for creating financial deals with AV vendors in order to boost their score. Just the fact that Webroot got a 78 on their test proves this point.

The best testing platform is your own experiences.

Another problem I had with avast was that it would use loads of cpu when i'm running programs, which slowed my computer down. I haven't had that problem so far with Avira.

Wow, compared to our Sophos:

Untitled3.png

Edit: screenshot wasn't showing

Edited by Odom

I am going to quote myself from this thread:

After using ESET NOD32 for over four years, I finally found another product that I like a bit more. Avira Antivirus Premium 2013. In the past three or four days during my spare time, I have tested the newest versions of the most popular antivirus products including NOD32, Kaspersky, BitDefender, Avast!, AVG, Comodo, Avira, MSE, Norton, Avira, and Webroot SecureAnywhere. I did not plan on posting very specific test results, but I can probably separate them into a few categories for you. Among the worst are AVG, MSE, and Webroot. They had a combination of false positives and missed some hardcore malware. Honorable products include NOD32, Norton (holy hell, never thought I would say that...but they have improved dramatically), and BitDefender. The best results were from Avira, Kaspersky, and Comodo.

Funny, Avira doesn't mention that it has zero-day prevention, yet it blocked more than any other product. That is what impressed me the most. Comodo and Kaspersky were very close in quality to Avira, but I could not get over the ugly interface of both. Also, they included many features that I just will not use, so that is more RAM usage for no reason. Avira idles around 45-50 MB which is not the best, but I figured all around it was the most solid product and best fit for me. People will disagree with me, I'm sure. I recommend anyone in the market to renew their antivirus or perhaps get a new one should do the product testing themselves. It is kind of fun, not sure why! My girlfriend wondered how I could spend so much time doing something so "boring".

So yes, I did my own testing. I recommend everyone do this if you have the time. So far, I am absolutely loving Avira.