Photo

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 +Odom

Odom

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:39

Interesting to find this thread, I was also looking for opinions on what the best Anti-Virus solution for an enterprise environment would be.

@ +goretsky
Thanks very much for that information, I'll have a look at the website and the webinars.

@ +remixedcat
We actually run Sophos in our company and I'm trying to get away from it. Lately we had some really bad experience with them. These would include the automatic update of all Sophos clients to the latest version without our interaction and us being informed - this should be a showstopper in our environment; just last month, a botched signature update that made Sophos detect itself as malware and it blocked itself on all machines, and in the past another botched signature file that made IE being detected as malware and also killing it on all machines. We also had version upgrade issues, where we only noticed that our version was no longer supported when the popups started appearing on the desktops. Microsoft is able to tell us years in advance when products expire, why can't Sophos? Their communication is horrible and close to non-existing.

I know that most AV's have had issues, but I hear that the most common AV in companies is McAfee (which shouldn't mean to say that it is the best).

#17 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:44

In today's battle of viruses, malware, worms and Trojans you just can't get any better than Eset Nod32. It's low on resources, yet get's the job done, period.

#18 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:59

i can't believe so many people still use nod32! It performs so poorly in tests compared to the competition.

Kaspersky, avira, bitdefender are the ones with the best overall detection, removal and lowest false positives when you combine those factors together. Avira has a free version, the other 2 don't.

#19 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:29

Interesting to find this thread, I was also looking for opinions on what the best Anti-Virus solution for an enterprise environment would be.

@ +goretsky
Thanks very much for that information, I'll have a look at the website and the webinars.

@ +remixedcat
We actually run Sophos in our company and I'm trying to get away from it. Lately we had some really bad experience with them. These would include the automatic update of all Sophos clients to the latest version without our interaction and us being informed - this should be a showstopper in our environment; just last month, a botched signature update that made Sophos detect itself as malware and it blocked itself on all machines, and in the past another botched signature file that made IE being detected as malware and also killing it on all machines. We also had version upgrade issues, where we only noticed that our version was no longer supported when the popups started appearing on the desktops. Microsoft is able to tell us years in advance when products expire, why can't Sophos? Their communication is horrible and close to non-existing.

I know that most AV's have had issues, but I hear that the most common AV in companies is McAfee (which shouldn't mean to say that it is the best).

Please note the date of my post.... that was before that happend with the infamous botched update.

#20 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:40

Hello,

Any tests in particular? It got a VB100 from Virus Bulletin and an Advanced (just missed Advanced+) from AV-Comparatives in the last round of testing. They also seemed to have done pretty well in last year's round of annual tests.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

i can't believe so many people still use nod32! It performs so poorly in tests compared to the competition.

Kaspersky, avira, bitdefender are the ones with the best overall detection, removal and lowest false positives when you combine those factors together. Avira has a free version, the other 2 don't.

#21 +Odom

Odom

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:58

Please note the date of my post.... that was before that happend with the infamous botched update.

True, but our bad experience goes back quite a few years :)

#22 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:13

aww man that sucks....

#23 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:34

Any tests in particular? It got a VB100 from Virus Bulletin and an Advanced (just missed Advanced+) from AV-Comparatives in the last round of testing. They also seemed to have done pretty well in last year's round of annual tests.

they came 11th in detection tests: http://www.av-compar...t_201209_en.pdf
it scored just 58/100 in malware detection tests (admittedly it was late 2011 when the testing was done): http://www.av-compar...m_201111_en.pdf

kaspersky, avira and bitdefender always perform well in all tests and have done for a very long time. Eset is much weaker than these 3.

I personally use Avira free and Comodo firewall, i have ad-aware and spybot installers incase i get some malware that i can't remove but i don't have those installed.

#24 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:48

webroot did terrible on that t4est

#25 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2012 - 13:04

webroot did terrible on that t4est

yeah, webroot is truly awful in all test on av-comparatives. I hope no-one has that installed. I used to use avast free but after looking at recent reviews on av-comparatives i saw that it was lacking compared to avira free in all tests so i switched.

#26 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 13:20

yeah, webroot is truly awful in all test on av-comparatives. I hope no-one has that installed. I used to use avast free but after looking at recent reviews on av-comparatives i saw that it was lacking compared to avira free in all tests so i switched.

post some task manager screenshots please....

ruh rohhh!

In May 2012, following a defective definition file update, AntiVirProActiv started blocking several legitimate Windows processes, and also preventing PCs from booting.[19] The problem was fixed through an update on 13 June 2012.[20]
[edit]

#27 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2012 - 13:29

Hello,

I have been doing some paid Antivirus software research on the internet, for the last couple days.

So you want us to do your job for you? That's nice. :s

#28 StrikedOut

StrikedOut

Outside the box

Posted 15 October 2012 - 13:35

So you want us to do your job for you? That's nice. :s

No he didnt, read the whole post.

#29 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2012 - 14:04

post some task manager screenshots please....

Posted Image

Another problem I had with avast was that it would use loads of cpu when i'm running programs, which slowed my computer down. I haven't had that problem so far with Avira.

#30 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 15 October 2012 - 15:19

they came 11th in detection tests: http://www.av-compar...t_201209_en.pdf
it scored just 58/100 in malware detection tests (admittedly it was late 2011 when the testing was done): http://www.av-compar...m_201111_en.pdf

kaspersky, avira and bitdefender always perform well in all tests and have done for a very long time. Eset is much weaker than these 3.

I personally use Avira free and Comodo firewall, i have ad-aware and spybot installers incase i get some malware that i can't remove but i don't have those installed.

Comparatives.org is hardly a reputable source, they're known for creating financial deals with AV vendors in order to boost their score. Just the fact that Webroot got a 78 on their test proves this point.

The best testing platform is your own experiences.