Woman Kept Off American Airlines Plane For Allegedly Offensive Shirt

An unidentified woman claims that she missed her American Airlines flight because staff found her choice of clothing offensive, according to the blog RH Reality Check.

That's because it bore the statement: "If I wanted the government in my womb, I'd f--k a senator." The slogan first appeared on a sign at a rally in Oklahoma in February. Oklahoma Sen. Judy McIntyre (D) famously posed with the sign, telling The Huffington Post, "I saw a sea of signs that caught my eye, but this one in particular -- I loved its offensive language, because it's just as offensive for Republicans of Oklahoma to do what they're doing as it relates to women's bodies. I don't apologize for it."

The woman, identified only as "O," was heading from Washington DC. She told RH Reality Check, "When I boarded the plane, I was one of the first groups to board (did not pass by many folks). I was wearing my shawl just loosely around my neck and upon sitting down in my seat the lady next to me, who was already seated, praised me for wearing the shirt." Yet she says she was approached by a flight attendant who told her that she needed to speak with the captain before making her connecting flight because the shirt was "offensive." The captain informed her that she shouldn't have been allowed to board in the first place, and would need to change before boarding her connection.

According to the woman, this interaction caused her to miss her connection. And, she asserts that the staff on her flight called ahead to the connecting gate to tell agents there that "O" needed to change her shirt, but not to hold the flight. "O" claims that her luggage was checked and "changing shirts without spending money wasn't an option."

American Airlines spokesman Tim Smith told MSNBC: "The only reason she was asked to cover up her T-shirt was the appearance of the 'F-word' on the T-shirt. The [pro-choice] message is irrelevant to our policy..."

It's stated in the airline's conditions of carriage, available on its website, that "American may refuse to transport you, or may remove you from your flight at any point, for one or several reasons." That includes if you "are clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers."

This isn't the first time a passenger's clothing has caused such a stir. Last year a college football player was arrested after trying to board a U.S. Airways flight wearing sagging pants. Similarly, Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong was kicked off a Southwest flight last year for having pants that hung too low.

On the other hand, a man clad in women's lingerie was allowed to fly U.S. Air last year.

Source

I was nearly prevented from flying recently because my tshirt had a picture of a squirrel holding a grenade. When the inspector first said, "you might want to change your shirt" I laughed at her. When she replied to my laughter with, "no I'm serious" my jaw dropped. The only thing I could muster was, "really?" I still wore it though, and no one stopped me again.

She got what she deserved. Why does she need to A) Voice her opinion about something on a t-shirt that has an offensive vulgar word on it, and B) Wear that shirt on a plane with other passengers.

This is the problem with some people. They only think about their rights, but never about responsibility. She knew the rules and decided that she'd ignore them anyway. What a wack job.

I do what I want!

On an airline run by a privately owned company? No, you really don't.

This woman was stupid. Sorry, I choose to not wear swear words (and other contentious imagery) on my clothing, the same as I don't openly swear in public. It IS offensive. There are rules to life, and one I live by is to not offend random people - it certainly helps me get by and not get caught up in this sort of thing.

They only think about their rights, but never about responsibility.

I have been saying this for over a decade!!!!

Pretty much everything is seen as offensive in the United States these days.

Well, there's this thing called tact, and everyone seems to forget about it. If the shirt read, "If I wanted the government in my womb, I'd screw a senator." or "If I wanted the government in my womb, I'd $%&! a senator." everyone would still get the point, and she probably wouldn't have been hassled.

That's just common sense about how to act in public, really. It's not as though wearing that shirt really added anything to public discourse on the topic.

Well, there's this thing called tact, and everyone seems to forget about it.

Honestly, here in the Netherlands the vast majority most likely couldn't care less about a humorous shirt like that. Obviously if you're in a place where a certain dress code is expected it's a totally different story. Last time I checked public transportation isn't one of those places.

Here's a shocker as well: We can say the "f-word" (or "n-word" in Dutch) on television without being bleeped. American celebrities always seem so pleasantly surprised about that. :laugh:

I'm glad we haven't gone overboard with the political correctness thing yet.

Reminds me of a story my Dad told me, he used to work on the busses, and one of the drivers decided it would be funny to play a prank on the passengers when they did the driver swap at a bus-stop

He put a pair of shades on and got a white stick and got someone to help him into the drivers seat

Needless to say he lost his job, but a funny way to go if your going

• Like 3

Reminds me of a story my Dad told me, he used to work on the busses, and one of the drivers decided it would be funny to play a prank on the passengers when they did the driver swap at a bus-stop

He put a pair of shades on and got a white stick and got someone to help him into the drivers seat

Needless to say he lost his job, but a funny way to go if your going

lol that's a great prank reminds me of a scene on the movie Spy Hard (Ray Charles was driving a bus parodying the movie Speed).

• Like 1

Last time I checked public transportation isn't one of those places.

Last time I checked, pretty much EVERYWHERE had a dress code, else we'd all be walking around naked. And is public profanity to walk around with a swear word on your clothing.

• Like 2

Pretty much everything is seen as offensive in the United States these days.

Ain't that the truth!

• Like 2

Last time I checked, pretty much EVERYWHERE had a dress code, else we'd all be walking around naked. And is public profanity to walk around with a swear word on your clothing.

But its fine to walk around with FCUK on your t-shirt

• Like 1

apparently it is ok to walk around with a swear word on your clothes

It's not a swear word. It may look like one, but it's not. That's the whole point behind it. And also I never said it was "OK", and when the brand first emerged in the 90's, it caused public concern.

• Like 1

It's not a swear word. It may look like one, but it's not. That's the whole point behind it. And also I never said it was "OK", and when the brand first emerged in the 90's, it caused public concern.

Well technically it is a swear word as those letters don't rearrange into any other word afaik

And this:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

• Like 2

I'm glad we're not so narrow-minded in Belgium. When people stop paying attention to swear words and offensive things and whatever, they automatically lose their offensiveness. Pardon my language now, but in Dutch we say ****, ****, kut (Dutch slang for *****) and all sorts of variations and translations all the time, and nobody really seems to mind. Only in really formal situations you shouldn't, of course, but in general nobody really cares.

People swear on TV, full nudity is fine on prime time TV, hell you even see titties in random shampoo ads on all channels. We're just relaxed about these things, and it makes for a much nicer culture in my opinion.

But hey, Americans. I rest my case.

I do get your point, but it ISN'T a swear word. It may be an anagram of one, but those letters in that order is not a swear word. The paragraph you posted does not contain English words, we read it because we assume it does.

but in Dutch we say ****, ****, kut (Dutch slang for *****)

Best thing I've ever seen written. I have no idea what you were saying, but it made me 100% LOL.

We're just relaxed about these things, and it makes for a much nicer culture in my opinion.

I am 100% on side with that. But your society works to different rules (or different levels of those rules), and so what is acceptable is different. America has pretty tight rules over what language they find acceptable (same with England), so to be part of mainstream society, you work within those rules.

I am also 100% on-side with someone who challenges mainstream society. Good on you, I applaud your cause if it is valid. But be aware that by doing so, you also lose the privilliges of mainstream society - such as bein accepted into certain situations. And this was one such situation.

On an airline run by a privately owned company? No, you really don't.

This woman was stupid. Sorry, I choose to not wear swear words (and other contentious imagery) on my clothing, the same as I don't openly swear in public. It IS offensive. There are rules to life, and one I live by is to not offend random people - it certainly helps me get by and not get caught up in this sort of thing.

I have been saying this for over a decade!!!!

I was quoting the obnoxious lady on one of those daytime TV talk shows who says "I do what I want!" to sum up the behavior of the woman in the article.

"You" didn't mean you as an individual, I meant you as in the populace. No direct offense meant. But by the same token, I have no idea of the talk shows you (you as in you) mention ;)

"You" didn't mean you as an individual, I meant you as in the populace. No direct offense meant. But by the same token, I have no idea of the talk shows you (you as in you) mention ;)

I think even South Park made an episode about it, where Cartman goes onto these shows and says exactly the same. It was funny! :)

I think even South Park made an episode about it, where Cartman goes onto these shows and says exactly the same. It was funny!

That I have seen. I just assumed it was Cartman being obnoxious :)

The woman intentionaly purchased and wore a shirt containing offensive phrases and/or wording with the intention of advertising the fact to others.The Airline made it transparently clear that such artices were not alowed and the Captain was obligated to remove the woman from the plane weather someone had been offended or not.

BOO HOO Im hard done to...........I want my fifth amendment rights,just doesnt wash.All I can say to the woman is grow up and if you want to wear a rally shirt wear it at the rally anywhere else and the reaction you get you wont like.

I'm glad we're not so narrow-minded in Belgium. When people stop paying attention to swear words and offensive things and whatever, they automatically lose their offensiveness. Pardon my language now, but in Dutch we say ****, ****, kut (Dutch slang for *****) and all sorts of variations and translations all the time, and nobody really seems to mind. Only in really formal situations you shouldn't, of course, but in general nobody really cares.

People swear on TV, full nudity is fine on prime time TV, hell you even see titties in random shampoo ads on all channels. We're just relaxed about these things, and it makes for a much nicer culture in my opinion.

But hey, Americans. I rest my case.

Americans swear in public discourse as well, and in some places, probably more often than the you do. Not on prime time, but on cable TV, we get all the swearing and nudity we want.

That said, we don't swear in public at large, which is what is really the issue here. If I'm talking with a friend in front of a bunch of children, I refrain from swearing, because it's just a socially responsible way to behave. If you're walking around with swears on your shirt, it's probably fine at a protest. On a plane? Just wear something else for a few hours.

America: Where the right to believe stone age crap is defended and the right to protest against it is not. Don't you just love societies that put stone age dogma above common sense? I walk about with a T-Shirt (inbetweeners) that has the word W***ers pasted through a bus symbol (Bus w***ers, anyone who has watched the inbetweeners will know the joke) and nobody even bats an eyelid. America has became dominated by obsessively prudish zealots.