• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,316 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 25 May 2012 - 15:43

Facebook to acquire browser maker Opera? Maybe. Here’s what we know.

Juicy rumor coming from Pocket-lint this morning: Facebook is reportedly eyeing a takeover of desktop, tablet and smartphone browser maker Opera Software.

Citing an unnamed source, Pocket-lint says the social network juggernaut is considering an outright acquisition of the Norwegian software company to accelerate a move onto the battlefields where the browser wars between Microsoft, Google, Mozilla, Apple and since recently Yahoo are being fought.

But not so fast. First of all, we asked Opera Software for an official response on the report, and a spokesperson declined to comment.

One source close to the company, however, tells us two interesting things:

1) Opera Software management is talking to potential buyers right now.
Currently listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange, the company’s leadership is said to consider becoming part of a larger privately-held or public company rather than trying to keep growing the business independently.

2) We’re told that there’s currently a hiring freeze at Opera, which is a surefire sign that something big is about to happen – or at least that Opera wants something big to happen.

We’re trying to get more sources to corroborate these stories, but the above comes from a very solid source. Our source was unable to confirm whether Facebook was one of the potential acquirers, but said it “would make sense”.
Posted Image
Indeed, an acquisition of Opera could give Facebook a major boost if they decide to enter the browser wars for real (and they may eventually have to).

As the company itself admitted when it filed to go public, it has some issues monetizing mobile right now, and that’s where its users are increasingly heading to visit Facebook.

Facebook has long been rumored to be working on a full-fledged mobile operating system based on Android, and even its own (HTC-made?) ‘social’ smartphone.

Buying Opera would certainly make more sense for Facebook than to do it all from scratch, but for now this is almost all speculation. On to the facts:

About 270 million people use Opera browsers every month, the software company claims. Furthermore, more than 168 million people used the Opera Mini browser in March 2012, with a total of 117 billion pages served.
The company has deals with mobile device (and TV) OEMs and carriers worldwide.

Opera also just bought not one but two mobile advertising companies (after picking up AdMarvel back in January 2010).
Posted Image
Opera boasts more than 750 employees today and a strong executive team. Its chief technology officer, Håkon Wium Lie, is a pioneer in the Web field and a standards expert who is often described as the ‘father of CSS’.

Established as an independent company back in 1995, Opera expects to book roughly $50 million in revenue for the second quarter of the year. Its market cap currently hovers around $670 million.

That would make it an expensive purchase, but Facebook’s recent IPO certainly put the social networking company in a solid position to close major deals like an Opera Software acquisition. Let’s not forget it spent $1 billion to buy Instagram.

All this does not mean Opera will end up selling, and it doesn’t mean Facebook will be the buyer if they do. But for now, Opera execs are definitely talking to a number of different companies about what a deal could look like, our source asserts. Other likely suitors include search giants Yandex (Russia) and, yes, Google.

When we learn more, you’ll learn more.

Source: The Next Web

#2 thenotavenger

thenotavenger

Neowinian

• 457 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 15:47

In a way, it would be good because it would push Opera into the mainstream. At the same time, it would be bad because Facebook is sort of a POS company and I don't trust them.

#3 Napalm Frog

Napalm Frog

Neowinian Senior

• 2,566 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 15:50

I've recently switched from opera to Chrome, but am debating to go back to Opera. However if Facebook gets a hold of it, I'm never touching Opera again.

#4 bogas04

bogas04

This title is bogus

• 2,744 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 25 May 2012 - 15:53

**** maan!!!!!!! Facebook is the new Google! The new MS! Man run for your lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Damien R.

Damien R.

XXIX

• 120,093 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy

Posted 25 May 2012 - 15:55

spending the cash it seems :p

would be an interesting acquisition

#6 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• 1,567 posts
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 25 May 2012 - 15:58

I was in thought of switching to Opera if Firefox ever land "Australis" (crap) while now I will stay away from it. Also Firefox cheap Hardware Acceleration is another reason I am currently using Chromium 21 Snapshot.

#7 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,295 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 25 May 2012 - 16:12

A little concerned about this.

Keeping in mind, Opera Mini uses proxy servers to compress data. By design, that also includes secure sites. Now what if Facebook got a hold of that?

On the positive side, Facebook's site was always flaky in Opera so it'll be natural for them to finally give the browser due attention.

#8 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,211 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 16:20

I am excited by this possibility.

I love Facebook, and I would love if they started producing browsers, mobile phone operating systems etc. There isn't yet a company out there that provides the cohesive, unified experience I'm after. Perhaps Facebook will be able to crack it :)

#9 ScorpioRGc1

ScorpioRGc1

Neowinian Senior

• 1,618 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 16:22

I hope not. While I don't hate Facebook and use it regularly, I don't think they need to be in control of a browser. I really like Opera (if IE9 wasn't as good as it is, I'd still be using Opera as my primary browser), and it is currently my backup browser. Considering I hate using both Firefox and Chrome, I rather hope Opera doesn't go down the gutter; its nice having a choice between IE and Opera, whichever is better for me at the time. :)

#10 Tom

Tom

Neowinian Senior

• 3,276 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 16:23

I asked Håkon Wium Lie how good the Opera sandwiches were on a scale of 1-10 once. He responded "Defiantly 11. Opera is 11." (version 11 has just been released)

#11 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• 1,691 posts
  • Phone: i9001-CM11-KitKat 4.4.4 - Kernel 3.4.96

Posted 25 May 2012 - 16:28

What's wrong with Facebook? They spoil whatever company they buy. :o

#12 drazgoosh

drazgoosh

Neowinian

• 1,190 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 25 May 2012 - 16:30

They seem to be trying to buy everything lately. Would've done the same if I was valued at $100b

#13 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,990 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 16:32

They seem to be trying to buy everything lately. Would've done the same if I was valued at $100b

Its $68b now

#14 drazgoosh

drazgoosh

Neowinian

• 1,190 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 25 May 2012 - 16:35

Its $68b now

Oh wow...

#15 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,211 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 18:54

What's wrong with Facebook? They spoil whatever company they buy. :o

Do you have any examples? They often buy companies for their talent, so those companies close down their business. That's not solely Facebook's fault; it's also the fault of the company who agreed to be bought. I don't mind if Facebook buy a company that then closes down because Facebook is the web service that I'd like to use for as much of my online activity as possible (web search, email, sharing photos, checking in etc.)