39 posts in this topic

Posted

[quote name='z0phi3l' timestamp='1337986563' post='594888911']Opera never has and never will be any competition in the browser market, even their slight hold on mobile is decreasing since hell even the built in browser is a better option[/quote]

This is nonsense.

Opera is big on the desktop in various parts of the world, such as Eastern Europe. You know, exactly where Google is trying to break in and kill off Yandex.

Slight hold on mobile? Opera has pretty consistently been holding its 20-25% market share on mobile for a long time. And they got 8 million new active users on Opera Mini in March alone.

Seriously, why the attitude?

Posted

Opera is a solid and very underrated browser. While having a company like facebook buying it could give it some much needed dev resources and boost in userbase, I have a feeling they'd end up turning it into some horrible flock/rockmelt-esq abortion.

Posted

Oh God please don't tell me this is true. I can see it now, Facebook integrating all their crap in Opera and changing its name to: Facebook Browser. Oh God...

So long Opera.

Posted

Couldn't they a build a browser in-house based on WebKit, as Apple and Google have done, without resorting to acquiring another company? There are may be other Opera-specific technologies they want though . . .

Posted

[quote name='bogas04' timestamp='1337961205' post='594888125']
**** maan!!!!!!! Facebook is the new Google! The new MS! Man run for your lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

man. that was... man, that was. that was..man..man. man that was wow man. man wow..that was..man..!
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='singularity87' timestamp='1338185985' post='594892409']
Couldn't they a build a browser in-house based on WebKit, as Apple and Google have done, without resorting to acquiring another company? There are may be other Opera-specific technologies they want though . . .
[/quote]

The compression technologies could serve them well.

Posted

[quote name='ScorpioRGc1' timestamp='1337962972' post='594888209']
I hope not. While I don't hate Facebook and use it regularly, I don't think they need to be in control of a browser. I really like Opera (if IE9 wasn't as good as it is, I'd still be using Opera as my primary browser), and it is currently my backup browser. Considering I hate using both Firefox and Chrome, I rather hope Opera doesn't go down the gutter; its nice having a choice between IE and Opera, whichever is better for me at the time. :)
[/quote]

Right on, Scorpio! :)

Only different thing I would've said is that I do hate Facebook!!

Posted

[attachment=312103:Screen-Shot-2012-05-31-at-12.17.10-PM-645x278.png]

This may mean nothing, but Facebook has removed Google Chrome from their recommendation list and replaced it with Opera.

Source: http://www.bgr.com/2012/05/31/facebook-google-chrome-recommended-opera/
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='singularity87' timestamp='1338185985' post='594892409']
[/quote]

Likely their mobile browser tech. Opera's mobile browser is actually quite popular. The presto rendering engine is also pretty good in its own right.

Posted

If this means that Desktop Opera will have less bugs, I am for it. Otherwise, I am not.

Posted

no thanks.

Posted

They just lost over 30bn in 'valuation' - I hope for the sake of investors they done their homework this time

Posted

[quote name='_heracles' timestamp='1338501231' post='594900561']
If this means that Desktop Opera will have less bugs, I am for it. Otherwise, I am not.
[/quote]

by bugs do you mean more tracking cookies?

Posted

I may be wrong but I ust don't see this happening.