rumour facebook opera

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 The_Decimator

The_Decimator

Neowinian

• 1,306 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 18:58

Would this mean Opera would become something like RockMelt?

#17 Singh400

Singh400

Neowinian Senior

• 5,839 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 19:26

I really rather they didn't. I have no love for Opera, but then again I have no love for Facebook.

#18 GreatMarkO

GreatMarkO

Neowinian

• 486 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 22:07

Other likely suitors include search giants Yandex (Russia) and, yes, Google.

Hmm... that's a little worrying! Why would google want to purchase Opera when they have their own successful browser with Chrome, other than to kill it off? ...the browser market *needs* competition, and that's why it's great to have major players like Microsoft, Mozilla, Google, Apple, and Opera - having such stiff competition is good, as it's really driving standards (like HTML5) forward as each developer competes to have the best/most standard compliant product - we really don't want to see a return to the days when a single browser dominated (IE) and so the developers (Microsoft) didn't see any sense of urgency to bother updating their browser (IE 6 anyone!?), as very little was competing with it!

Whilst I'm not sure whether Facebook potentially buying Opera is a good thing or not (it'd certainly raise the profile/browser share of Opera!), Google potentially buying Opera would be a bad move imho!

#19 Som

Som

Neowinian

• 818 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 22:12

this would be terrible, only thing worse would be apple buys opera...

#20 Coolicer

Coolicer

Comrad General

• 322 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 Black

Posted 25 May 2012 - 22:16

Hmm... that's a little worrying! Why would google want to purchase Opera when they have their own successful browser with Chrome, other than to kill it off? ...the browser market *needs* competition, and that's why it's great to have major players like Microsoft, Mozilla, Google, Apple, and Opera - having such stiff competition is good, as it's really driving standards (like HTML5) forward as each developer competes to have the best/most standard compliant product - we really don't want to see a return to the days when a single browser dominated (IE) and so the developers (Microsoft) didn't see any sense of urgency to bother updating their browser (IE 6 anyone!?), as very little was competing with it!

Whilst I'm not sure whether Facebook potentially buying Opera is a good thing or not (it'd certainly raise the profile/browser share of Opera!), Google potentially buying Opera would be a bad move imho!

Amen, loving Opera, it has a lot of quirks but Opera Next is becoming better by the day. Every time I fire up another browser (be it on my computers or somewhere else) I instantly realize why I prefer Opera. I absolutely hate Chrome,
it feels sterile and I just hate the way WebKit renders (it's subtle but noticeable). I'm worried of what could happen if Facebook buys Opera, but then again, if Facebook wants to throw money at Opera and the browser would benefit,
then I'm all for it (rather some obscure company that wouldn't really be able to keep up rapid development of the browser).

Also, Yandex would make a lot of sense, Opera is still very popular in Russia (probably because of the Turbo-boost image compression in the early days and by now it became a favorite)

#21 Lion and Lamb Ministry

Lion and Lamb Ministry

Neowinian

• 146 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 22:41

Now we got a show! Facebook takes over Opera, and gives the browser the attention it needs and deserves. Then we have Google with Chrome, Facebook with Opera, Microsoft with IE, Apple with Safari, and Firefox as the last Free Open Source Browser! Competition is good

#22 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,406 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 25 May 2012 - 22:56

Opera never has and never will be any competition in the browser market, even their slight hold on mobile is decreasing since hell even the built in browser is a better option

#23 GreatMarkO

GreatMarkO

Neowinian

• 486 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 23:18

Opera never has and never will be any competition in the browser market, even their slight hold on mobile is decreasing since hell even the built in browser is a better option

Opera is still considered one of the "5 major browsers" (along with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari)... Granted, Opera may have the smallest share of the 5, and so is arguably the least significant, but their user base shows no signs of decreasing, and so it retains a degree competition with the other 4, hence why I could see Google being interested in acquiring Opera's assets in order to shut it down, and therefore further increase Chrome's ever growing market share.

But I can also see potential for Opera's market share really increasing if Facebook do purchase it instead, because If FB own their own browser I can see them adding "Opera-specific features" to the FB user experience in an effort to encourage users to ditch their current browser in favor of FB's own "Opera" browser.

Incidentally, Opera have made some significant leaps forward in recent weeks in preparation for their forthcoming version 12 release, particularly in terms of performance and compliance with standards (such as HTML 5), which even if Opera isn't sold, I think could still potentially see a noticeable increase in Opera's share of the browser market lather this year post-Opera 12.00 launch

#24 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 25 million+ downloads & growing

• 3,991 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:06

I like Facebook and I like Opera but somehow this doesn't seem to make me happy. I am concerned what will happen to Opera if FB takes over and takes it in the "social" direction. you know focus less on standards compliance and improving the browser and more on the social features and putting direct Facebook integration into it which I wouldn't want.

#25 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,609 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:24

I could see it if they intended to supersede their current site design with their own code instead of relying on current browser standards.

But really, I can't see it actually happening. The rumor mill just likes to pull things out of their butt for page views.

#26 PreKe

PreKe

Neowinian Senior

• 2,432 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:36

This is nonsense.

Opera is big on the desktop in various parts of the world, such as Eastern Europe. You know, exactly where Google is trying to break in and kill off Yandex.

Slight hold on mobile? Opera has pretty consistently been holding its 20-25% market share on mobile for a long time. And they got 8 million new active users on Opera Mini in March alone.

Seriously, why the attitude?

#27 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,870 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 22:59

Opera is a solid and very underrated browser. While having a company like facebook buying it could give it some much needed dev resources and boost in userbase, I have a feeling they'd end up turning it into some horrible flock/rockmelt-esq abortion.

#28 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,564 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:54

Oh God please don't tell me this is true. I can see it now, Facebook integrating all their crap in Opera and changing its name to: Facebook Browser. Oh God...

So long Opera.

#29 singularity87

singularity87

Neowinian

• 469 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:19

Couldn't they a build a browser in-house based on WebKit, as Apple and Google have done, without resorting to acquiring another company? There are may be other Opera-specific technologies they want though . . .

#30 afuchi

afuchi

Neowinian

• 815 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Spica

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:43

**** maan!!!!!!! Facebook is the new Google! The new MS! Man run for your lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man. that was... man, that was. that was..man..man. man that was wow man. man wow..that was..man..!