A neowin linux?

Neowin Linux Poll  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in making this idea a reality?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you be interested in using / modifying Neowin's former Linux project "Shift"?

• Yes
    • No
    • Null Vote

It definitely is a nice bit of kit, but it does come with a LOT of stuff. Plus as was mentioned earlier, their ToU says its a no-no.

true with the TOU (:

Stocker, Why don't you be the project manager?

One problem I see with LFS is that we will have to do a lot more work than really is necessary. I once tried building a LFS on a virtual machine and took about a day to get it just compiled.

agreed, I vote Stocker for PM :D (why not add a PM vote to the poll?)

as for LFS, are you talking about too much programming work or too much compiling time (ie. are you saying that the whole LFS thing is just horrible, or are you saying it's fine, but we'd have to do too much to get it into a complete system?), or both?

true with the TOU (:

agreed, I vote Stocker for PM :D (why not add a PM vote to the poll?)

as for LFS, are you talking about too much programming work or too much compiling time (ie. are you saying that the whole LFS thing is just horrible, or are you saying it's fine, but we'd have to do too much to get it into a complete system?), or both?

I think he means it takes too long compiling wise.

vote stocker ; )

In reguards to the office apps and stuff... As said, you'd need to be a pretty darn good programmer, and anyone can just join their respective development groups already... Can't see what benefit it'd have if I'm honest.

However i dont think neowin should create its own, as neowin has done it before and its failed, there are just way too many distros out there as it is.

You are completely mistaken. Shift was a resounding success with well over 100,000 downloads and was listed as one of the top 40 Linux distros on Distrowatch. But more importantly, members of our community got the chance to experience creating a distro from scratch. The Shift project did exactly what it was designed to do. It brought our Neowin linux community together for an outstanding experience.

Before you state that it failed, why not talk to a member of the team and get the real story?

You are completely mistaken. Shift was a resounding success with well over 100,000 downloads and was listed as one of the top 40 Linux distros on Distrowatch. But more importantly, members of our community got the chance to experience creating a distro from scratch. The Shift project did exactly what it was designed to do. It brought our Neowin linux community together for an outstanding experience.

Before you state that it failed, why not talk to a member of the team and get the real story?

Boom.

Barney can you please help us out on a road map as well as things we need to do to get this off ground! Stocker .. lets do this!

I like+Mephistopheles 's idea of building on Debian based system and also we need to do things differently. It should not come out as another spin off.

Also sanctified 's idea has merit. Why not build some apps of our own to include in this distro. Though i don't agree with the idea of contributing to existing project alone. Personally i want to build this distro to learn everything i can from it.

Also sanctified 's idea has merit. Why not build some apps of our own to include in this distro. Though i don't agree with the idea of contributing to existing project alone. Personally i want to build this distro to learn everything i can from it.

That would be awesome. Because those apps can be ported to other distros. You're still contributing not only to your project but also to the entire linux community.

I'm going to lurk in this thread for a while to see where it goes. I wouldn't mind helping out here and there, but I would like to help where that something that can be used in other distro's.

Edit: as sanctified just said!! :p

Right lets do this :)

I do like the idea of apps that can be used on any distro. Although admittedly programming is not my strongest point. The thing we should think of is what can we do that would actually be useful.

I was thinking during the day, if only we could get a way to get a notification system for PMs and stuff of neowin that would display in the system tray/notification centre. Don't even know if its possible but there ya go. I suppose it would kind of be like an email client.

I should be around on IRC tonight if anyone wants to pop on. If im not, fire me a PM and as long as im awake I'll jump on :)

Right lets do this :)

I do like the idea of apps that can be used on any distro. Although admittedly programming is not my strongest point. The thing we should think of is what can we do that would actually be useful.

I was thinking during the day, if only we could get a way to get a notification system for PMs and stuff of neowin that would display in the system tray/notification centre. Don't even know if its possible but there ya go. I suppose it would kind of be like an email client.

I should be around on IRC tonight if anyone wants to pop on. If im not, fire me a PM and as long as im awake I'll jump on :)

Alas, I am at my Office and can't access IRC! :(

Also, shouldn't we just start with a round up of who are going to work on what!?

Alas, I am at my Office and can't access IRC! :(

Doh! Cant you get on some web based thingy, like Mibbit?

nope, not working. I am behind a corporate firewall! :p

Where theres a will theres a way haha :p

Nah only kidding, oh well. How long you at the office for?

ohbtw, it would be super awesome if we could get something like Wubi for it - I mean, if we could make it installing-a-program easy to install NeoLin (or Shift2 or whatever you guys wanna call it :) then I know a lot more people would use it :}

ohbtw, it would be super awesome if we could get something like Wubi for it - I mean, if we could make it installing-a-program easy to install NeoLin (or Shift2 or whatever you guys wanna call it :) then I know a lot more people would use it :}

Would be pretty cool, I wonder how that actually works though.

yeah - tbh, I do too :D but it doesn't look that hard to rebuild Wubi for other Linux based OSs - check at the bottom of the page over -> https://wiki.ubuntu....istributions.3F

It looks doable but it looks like it would be a pain in the backside to do on anything apart from Debian/Ubuntu.

For a roadmap, you guys need to do these things first:

1) Establish your method of meeting. IRC, Skype, whatever. Make a schedule of meetings and attend them.

2) Establish your team. Get a project manager, put a few good people in as devs, graphics, web designers, PR people, and such. One of THE most important roles is a lead developer. Nothing can happen without a strong one.

3) Create a SVN to place distro files for devs to work on in between meetings. I suppose you could use Dropbox, if you can get enough space.

4) Establish your goals for the project. What you want to achieve, what distro to use, who is responsible for what, and when you want deadlines to be. It may be tough to establish too many deadlines at first, but someone needs to keep an eye on the present and future near-term and far-term goals.

5) Once all of this is in place, you can set deadlines for developmental versions of your distro. This inclused testing, RC, and final versions.

That is a start. As soon as you get the project under way, we can possibly create a subforum like we did for Shift (that is archived at the moment). That is down the road.......

I hope that this helps.

Barney

• Like 4