os x lion bugs

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:40

I decided to replace the hard drive as precautionary measure. I upgraded from the stock 1TB to a 120GB Intel 520 SSD with a clean install and so far everything has been fine. :)

And the performance gains with SSD are amazing.

From what I understand - the Intel SSD garbage collector is pretty good thus isn't worth hacking around with kexts to get TRIM support. I'm tempted to upgrading my hard disk to an SSD once I have some spare cash.

Thanks - really good advice above. I did try steps 2 and 3, and yes I did have a few Kernel panics in 10.7.3 (but narrowed it down to an older version of LittleSnitch).

IMHO I'd do a clean install and avoid anything that really mucks around with the kernel unless you really, really, really need to have a driver installed for a piece of hardware - Sierra Wireless drivers seem to be pretty stable from my experience since I used to own a 326U not too long ago. Although Apple does promise to provide a stable API for low level developers there are some times issues that arise due to bugs in the software or problems in the API being fixed but the kexts expecting the API to behave in a certain way.

One of the things I do like about the likes of EyeTV and Windows Phone Connector is their use of userspace kexts which mean if they crash the whole system isn't pulled down - hopefully little snitch developer in future will move to a design that ensures if his software goes haywire it can recover gracefully without the whole system being pulled down with it.

#17 butilikethecookie

butilikethecookie

Neowinian

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:52

A little laggy on my 2006 MacBook. No issues though.

#18 +Bamsebjørn

Bamsebjørn

Neowinian Teddy Bear

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Tipo

Posted 29 May 2012 - 13:00

No problems here... on a 2008 Mac Pro.

#19 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:56

Just a follow up, Apple has released a 10.7.4 Supplemental update (31K download for my machine) so see if that makes a difference.

#20 nyolc8

nyolc8

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 31 May 2012 - 13:03

I'm a PC, and 10.7.4 running without a single issue.

#21 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 01 June 2012 - 14:10

I really like 10.7.4 and think its the best Mac OS to date.

#22 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 01 June 2012 - 19:10

My iMac's fans sounding like the entire thing about to take off was definitely weather related. So my only "issue" with v10.7.4 resolved itself. :)

#23 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 June 2012 - 19:15

Since release Lion has been pretty hit or miss for me. Fast User Switching has about a 50% chance of locking up completely.

#24 Lunfai

Lunfai

Neowinian

• Phone: iOS 8

Posted 01 June 2012 - 22:46

My iMac's fans sounding like the entire thing about to take off was definitely weather related. So my only "issue" with v10.7.4 resolved itself. :)

Yepp same here. :)

#25 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:40

Were you able to track the issue back to a CPU hogging process? I've had my fans go into 'turbo mode' until I find that there is a rogue process gone crazy sucking up CPU time.

#26 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:38

Were you able to track the issue back to a CPU hogging process? I've had my fans go into 'turbo mode' until I find that there is a rogue process gone crazy sucking up CPU time.

It was strictly due to exceptionally hot weather here in Amsterdam. Apparently the air the iMac sucked in was too hot to cool down with so it had to compensate by increasing fan speeds. Things returned to normal two days ago when the outside temperature went down to ±16°C (from a high of 26°C).

So there you have it: iMacs like it cool outside! :laugh:

#27 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:24

Time for you to jury-rig water cooling into that iMac Neo :p

#28 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 03 June 2012 - 16:15

I'll just put it outside then… 10 degrees and pouring rain! On the bright side: My iMac stays quiet. :laugh:

#29 fixxxer2014

fixxxer2014

A1 poster

Posted 03 June 2012 - 16:16

10.7.4 is solid but i hate the fact it's almost impossible to theme anymore.

#30 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 03 June 2012 - 16:22

10.7.4 is solid but i hate the fact it's almost impossible to theme anymore.

Personally I think Apple pretty much perfected Aqua's design with OS X Lion. I used to replace some aspects of the OS like the scroll and progress bars with Aqua Extreme, but this is the very first release I left completely untouched. But yeah, theming OS X pretty much died after OS X Tiger.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!