Geoff Keighley confirms Wii U won’t run Unreal Engine 4

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#16 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 29 May 2012 - 13:00

I find it funny that console developers keep striving for the most powerful hardware, as after the SNES generation it has been the least powerful console/handheld that ended up with the most sales. I'm interested to see if the Wii-U will keep the trend.

Either way, regardless of hardware power, I'm going to pick up the Wii-U as soon as I am able. Maybe it's the kid in me, but Nintendo never disappoints me with their games. Bring on HD Zelda. :D

Same here... just waiting for a date and price. :)

#17 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 29 May 2012 - 14:33

I think i'll wait till i hear this from someone a bit better than the guy who makes that absolutely hideous spike tv video game award show happen before i jump on believing it.

#18 nominak

nominak

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 May 2012 - 14:37

He said he can't hint on it. He never said it won't run UE4

#19 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 May 2012 - 16:09

So the Wii U is about level with the 360 and PS3 which are already many years out of date, tech wise - and the new Xbox is rumoured to be based on an ATI 6670 chip...

Don't think I'll be dropping PC for console again.

#20 BoredBozirini

BoredBozirini

Bozrini Tringuini

Posted 29 May 2012 - 16:21

Doomed to fail before it was even born. Oh well.

#21 Spencer R

Spencer R

Neowinian

Posted 29 May 2012 - 16:21

Technically speaking, the WiiU pushes 2-3X the graphics rendering performance that the ps3/360 produce...There are other factors to take into account, and most of the information we have is coming 3rd source or based on units that are by no means final... if what is being said about the SDKs are valid,and final specs it's a significant step forward, not as far as the 360 or ps3 followups will be, but then again the PS4 and 720 or whatever are likely at least a year and a half out from WiiU's launch date. Then again, I still think Zelda Skyward Sword is one of the best looking games of the generation. Not most visually impressive mind you, just best looking... so I don't really care about texture fill rate... it's kinda pointless.

That said, I am really looking forward to hearing what's coming PS4/720 wise, I own all current gen systems but next time I'll probably be picking up a wiiu and one or the other for sony or microsoft...

#22 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

Posted 29 May 2012 - 16:26

Don't think I'll be dropping PC for console again.

I personally didn't stop playing on PC because consoles weren't powerful enough - also playing games like FIFA on a console is _so much better_. It's like a different world.

Plus it's a helluva lot more fun to "turn on and play" rather than wonder why Steam crashes, why nVidia drivers bug out and why Windows decides to blue screen for no apparent reason or crash in general.

#23 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 29 May 2012 - 16:28

Honestly i think Nintendo should get out of the Hardware game like Sega did, and just make their games for other consoles. the Wii U on launch will not even be as powerful as the PS3 according to E3 last year.

#24 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

Posted 29 May 2012 - 16:33

Honestly i think Nintendo should get out of the Hardware game like Sega did, and just make their games for other consoles. the Wii U on launch will not even be as powerful as the PS3 according to E3 last year.

Are you kidding me? They're making tons of money off of consoles and publishing games for their consoles.

#25 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 May 2012 - 16:42

I think i'll wait till i hear this from someone a bit better than the guy who makes that absolutely hideous spike tv video game award show happen before i jump on believing it.

I don't think he has much to do with that. He has a seperate VG show on Spike (or, well, had. I used to watch it but I haven't even looked at Spike in ages.)

#26 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 May 2012 - 16:55

I love homebrew on the Wii. Let's hope the Wii U will be easy to softmod too :)

#27 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 May 2012 - 16:56

I personally didn't stop playing on PC because consoles weren't powerful enough - also playing games like FIFA on a console is _so much better_. It's like a different world.

Plus it's a helluva lot more fun to "turn on and play" rather than wonder why Steam crashes, why nVidia drivers bug out and why Windows decides to blue screen for no apparent reason or crash in general.

Strange because my PC never does that. Plus I get smooth as butter framerates at full 1080p with 8x antialiasing and 16x anisotropic filtering. What consoles can do that?

#28 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 29 May 2012 - 17:01

Strange because my PC never does that. Plus I get smooth as butter framerates at full 1080p with 8x antialiasing and 16x anisotropic filtering. What consoles can do that?

They can all do something like that that, as long as the assets are 3x lower resolution upscaled :D

#29 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

Posted 29 May 2012 - 17:14

Wow! Its amazing the conclusions folk jump to.

Less powerful than an Xbox 720 / PS4 so we get comments like "Doomed to fail" and such. Really? Are we actually doing this?

Weve known from the start (E3 last year) that this wasnt going to be on par with future Sony/MS consoles, we know its more powerful than current tech. So for all you folks comparing it to a PS3/Xbox360, just so you know your comparing something with undefined variables against things with clearly defined variables. Smart.., Who`s to say it isnt 50% more powerful than a PS3 or 30% or 25%.

And as others have pointed out this is coming from someone whos got his info wrong in the past and when re-read theres actually a little grey area in his language which suggest its not a definite "NEVER".

Developers have had beta dev kits with only the final kits going out a few months ago and even then its been the big studios that have got the kits first leaving others with older Wii-U hardwares. Im sure just as with our current crop around a year or two in we,ll start seeing the envelope be pushed on the Wii-U.

I do have my concerns as I dont want to see more shovelware like the Wii had and nor do i want devs to be pushing gimmicky **** because of the tablet controller. However as soon as we have a Mario title and some Zelda, I for one will be all over the Wii-U. I just hope I dont end up burned with half a dozen decent games that are all 1st party titles over the consoles life cycle. i.e my Wii experience.

Also I might add that the original question was "Can you give us a hint if it will run it" the answer being "No" this would imply he cannot hint if it will, not that it wont run it. Lastly this isnt direct confirmation so to the OP please correct your title, as hinting at something isnt "confirming" it.

#30 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 May 2012 - 17:54

None of this happens if you have any clue what you're doing.

What does happen is that you get better framerate, better controls (for most genres), better configuration options and faster loading / saving times.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!