Geoff Keighley confirms Wii U won

Uh, oh. This is a pretty huge bomb for people thinking that the Wii U will be on par with the Xbox 720 and PS4 when it comes to technical prowess.

wii-uu.jpg

Epic Games had confirmed at GDC, which was mentioned yesterday on Twitterby Geoff Keighley, who is the Spike TV host that, Unreal Engine 4 isn?t for the Wii U.

He responded to a tweet where someone asked whether the engine will be on the Wii U, to which he replied quite confidently, ?No, at GDC Mike Capps said Wii U will be Unreal Engine 3.?

geoff-keighley-1.jpg

He also revealed that during the next gen episode on GTTV, Unreal Engine 4 prototypes will be shown which is running in real time. A demo about a monster erupting from the lava will be there too.

What monster? Check out these screenshots here, which show the first glimpses of Unreal Engine 4.

Tell us what you think in the comments section below.

Source: http://gamingbolt.co...unreal-engine-4

Honestly, although I'm an Xbox player, but I really wish that the Wii, well, the Wii U could of proved to be a really hardcore console in its performance.

Have you considered that's because the Wii U is coming out soon, and Unreal 4 is no where near completed? And since they want to get the engine out to developers who pay big money for it, they want to sell units quicker? Come on people , this has got nothing to do with spec. Any engine worth it's salt is capable of scaling. And btw, the Wii U is quoted by devs as being extremely powerful... far more than PS3 and Xbox 360. But ... obviously for a 2012 system it wont be up to the same spec as the 2013 or 2014 console releases from Song and MS. Who cares anyway? If it's better than PS3 and Xbox which STILL have amazing looking games .. isn't that enough considering the Wii U will release for a shed load less than the Sony and MS offerings in a year or two ?

• Like 3

How is this a surprise? it's been known for ages the Wii U is on par with the Xbox 360/PS3 and we know neither of those are capable of UE4.0. So anyone who serious thought there was even a remote chance it could run UE4.0 were smoking some pretty strong stuff...

This just means it won't be directly on-par with PS4/720... doesn't mean to say it's going to be on-par with the 360/PS3. It could just mean the jump from the PS3 to PS4 is larger then the jump from the PS3 to the Wii U (but there will still be a jump).

some how this isn't much of a surprise, a bit of common sense really, even when you look at the the 'next' gen hardware they are putting into the ps4/xbox 720, its definately not able to run the Unreal engine 4 as it should. Consoles don't push hardware specs like the PC does, its all about cheap performance, at sub standard levels to rake in on the 'console' experience.

Can't say I am surprised. The Wii was never a hardcore gamer's console and the Wii-U isn't going to be either.

If the Wii U is more powerful than the 360/PS3 now, is that not what is expected? It's going to be released at least a year before the next generation of MS/Sony console is released, so I would expect it to be less powerful than them due to the timing differences.

As long as the GFX are a least on a par with the 360, then Nintendo will be laughing. Can't wait to see Link and Mario in full on HD madness!

• Like 2

Umm am I the only one who thinks you could also understand the sentence like this? "No (I cannot give any hints regarding that), at GDC Mike Capps said Wii-U will be Unreal Engine 3"

I don't want to play the Nintendo Fanboy but since when is it a matter of power if a hardware can run a engine? :huh: I was under the impression that a hardware only has to support the feature- and instruction-set and the power was secondary. I mean the Unreal Engine 3 also runs on a iPhone 3GS so aslong as the Wii-U has enough feature support it shouldn't be too hard to scale it down to the Wii-U's power but I guess the E3 will finally make everything clear^^

• Like 2

I don't see "can't" in the statement, only "won't."

That's also a way to interpret it :p I wonder if they are all this vague on purpose :pinch:

Also I wouldn't give Geoff Keighley too much credit, he also said there was no Final Fantasy MMO in 2010 which was utterly false^^

some how this isn't much of a surprise, a bit of common sense really, even when you look at the the 'next' gen hardware they are putting into the ps4/xbox 720, its definately not able to run the Unreal engine 4 as it should. Consoles don't push hardware specs like the PC does, its all about cheap performance, at sub standard levels to rake in on the 'console' experience.

At their release, the top end consoles have typically been pushing around or even further than typical high-end gaming PC performance at a far more affordable price range. They don't last long at that level, but consoles like the PS3, 360, Xbox, etc, were pushing the technological envelope at their release.

Nintendo have decided not to go that route since the Gamecube, and it's unlikely Sony will try to outdo PC's this time around either, though Microsoft very well might.

I find it funny that console developers keep striving for the most powerful hardware, as after the SNES generation it has been the least powerful console/handheld that ended up with the most sales. I'm interested to see if the Wii-U will keep the trend.

Either way, regardless of hardware power, I'm going to pick up the Wii-U as soon as I am able. Maybe it's the kid in me, but Nintendo never disappoints me with their games. Bring on HD Zelda. :D

I find it funny that console developers keep striving for the most powerful hardware, as after the SNES generation it has been the least powerful console/handheld that ended up with the most sales. I'm interested to see if the Wii-U will keep the trend.

Either way, regardless of hardware power, I'm going to pick up the Wii-U as soon as I am able. Maybe it's the kid in me, but Nintendo never disappoints me with their games. Bring on HD Zelda. :D

Same here... just waiting for a date and price. :)

I think i'll wait till i hear this from someone a bit better than the guy who makes that absolutely hideous spike tv video game award show happen before i jump on believing it.

So the Wii U is about level with the 360 and PS3 which are already many years out of date, tech wise - and the new Xbox is rumoured to be based on an ATI 6670 chip...

Don't think I'll be dropping PC for console again.

Technically speaking, the WiiU pushes 2-3X the graphics rendering performance that the ps3/360 produce...There are other factors to take into account, and most of the information we have is coming 3rd source or based on units that are by no means final... if what is being said about the SDKs are valid,and final specs it's a significant step forward, not as far as the 360 or ps3 followups will be, but then again the PS4 and 720 or whatever are likely at least a year and a half out from WiiU's launch date. Then again, I still think Zelda Skyward Sword is one of the best looking games of the generation. Not most visually impressive mind you, just best looking... so I don't really care about texture fill rate... it's kinda pointless.

That said, I am really looking forward to hearing what's coming PS4/720 wise, I own all current gen systems but next time I'll probably be picking up a wiiu and one or the other for sony or microsoft...

Don't think I'll be dropping PC for console again.

I personally didn't stop playing on PC because consoles weren't powerful enough - also playing games like FIFA on a console is _so much better_. It's like a different world.

Plus it's a helluva lot more fun to "turn on and play" rather than wonder why Steam crashes, why nVidia drivers bug out and why Windows decides to blue screen for no apparent reason or crash in general.

Honestly i think Nintendo should get out of the Hardware game like Sega did, and just make their games for other consoles. the Wii U on launch will not even be as powerful as the PS3 according to E3 last year.

Honestly i think Nintendo should get out of the Hardware game like Sega did, and just make their games for other consoles. the Wii U on launch will not even be as powerful as the PS3 according to E3 last year.

Are you kidding me? They're making tons of money off of consoles and publishing games for their consoles.

I think i'll wait till i hear this from someone a bit better than the guy who makes that absolutely hideous spike tv video game award show happen before i jump on believing it.

I don't think he has much to do with that. He has a seperate VG show on Spike (or, well, had. I used to watch it but I haven't even looked at Spike in ages.)