Geoff Keighley confirms Wii U won

What does real time have to do with it. Do you even play games and u deist and how this works

I click the "use scanner" button, the marine on my screen(me) puts away his gun, that is visible in his(my) hands on the screen, and pulls out the scanner, in 3d on the screen, in his(my) hands. Oh and here's the kicker, in real time. And thus I'm holding the scanner in my characters hands, properly immersive in the game world, and the gun is towed as it should be. When the aliens approach, I properly need to replace the scanner with my gun again. Unless I'm using one of the big ass guns with the scanner attached.

All this, in real time, on the screen, in the game world, immersively. Not outside the game world, on a cheap plastic device that doesn't look like it belongs on a magical second pair of hands (?!!!).

No let say ya do that then you only get the scanner on the GP screen not the the big screen you wont get duplicate screens unless ya choose to in the game options the gun itself is on the big screen the FPS view the scanner is completly separate thing running independently from what is happening on the big screen thus this show you have barly paid much attention to anything you just assume. Wii U can have 2 destictly differant things running at the same time on each screen or have the same thing running .

Now in some games like Zombie U when ya use a scanner you end up viewing the game world in a different way on the GP screen to scan the world but that does not take you out of the danger within the game world as zombies still could creep up on you as your doing that which is why that is a survival horror .

Here is a good example of Multiplayer call of duty black ops 2 on Wii U one user using the GP screen while the otehr uses the big screen the game on the Big screen running @ full 1080p 60FPS while some siad from what they was told the GP running @ 60FPS as well

No let say ya do that then you only get the scanner on the GP screen not the the big screen you wont get duplicate screens unless ya choose to in the game options the gun itself is on the big screen the FPS view the scanner is completly separate thing running independently from what is happening on the big screen thus this show you have barly paid much attention to anything you just assume. Wii U can have 2 destictly differant things running at the same time on each screen or have the same thing running .

When did I say duplicate "screens". are you even paying attention or just making stuff up for your own arguments ?

Also the gun being on the screen and the scanner in the hand was EXACTLY my point, that's NOT possible, the marine can only hold one of them at a time, unless you have one of the big guns with a scanner attached, in which case it'll be one the gun anyway. having the scanner makes non sense and only serves to de-immerse you out of the game and game universe.

and no I'm not assuming anything I never said it can't have two different things, don't know where you're getting this idea outside of not paying attention and just making up arguments. Because you're certainly not reading my posts, that's clear as day.

I find it strange that people on here that crapping all over anything positive about the Wii-U sure can't seem to STFU up about it.

Don't like it, move the **** along.

My main problem about the WiiU s that while they try to advertise it as a new core gamer platform, even on the deluxe model, I have to buy the core/standard controller(or what they call the pro controller) separately.

What does real time have to do with it. Do you even play games and u deist and how this works

I click the "use scanner" button, the marine on my screen(me) puts away his gun, that is visible in his(my) hands on the screen, and pulls out the scanner, in 3d on the screen, in his(my) hands. Oh and here's the kicker, in real time. And thus I'm holding the scanner in my characters hands, properly immersive in the game world, and the gun is towed as it should be. When the aliens approach, I properly need to replace the scanner with my gun again. Unless I'm using one of the big ass guns with the scanner attached.

All this, in real time, on the screen, in the game world, immersively. Not outside the game world, on a cheap plastic device that doesn't look like it belongs on a magical second pair of hands (?!!!).

Well many have stated the Wii U gamepad feels rugged in your hand and does not feel cheap

There is no scanner button to click not in Aliens CM here is the developer talking about the Wii U version note the game footage they show while video is going is form the Xbox 360 version and as you note you have to switch back and fourth between scanner and gun

There is no scanner button to click not in Aliens CM here is the developer talking about the Wii U version note the game footage they show while video is going is form the Xbox 360 version and as you note you have to switch back and fourth between scanner and gun

You just don't want to get it do you.

No there is no scanner button because it uses the pad. which is wrong and de-immersive compared to having a button that switched between a scanner and the gun in your characters hand on the screen, int he gameworld

You just don't want to get it do you.

No there is no scanner button because it uses the pad. which is wrong and de-immersive compared to having a button that switched between a scanner and the gun in your characters hand on the screen, int he gameworld

Difference of opinion, but I think having something that acts like something from the gameworld directly in your hand is more immersive than it just being all on your TV. I mean, it's in the name. If you want something to be immersive, you have to immerse yourself in the game world. And unless you want to actually get inside the TV, the only other way to do that is to make the gameworld expand outside of the TV.

Obviously that relies on what's on the gamepad being implemented naturally and frustration free, so it feels like part of the game world, and not something you want to smash against a brick wall because it doesn't work :p

I think the Arkham City implementation for the GamePad looks alright but generally I find most implementations to be really weak and distracting. With Zombie U you keep getting messages on screen to tell you to look at the GamePad, which completely destroys immersion.There are definitely some interesting ideas but it really seems they're using it for the sake of it, rather than because it genuinely improves the gaming experience. Further, the videos are misleading because you don't really appreciate how small a 6" screen is - it's barely bigger than a phone screen and will be quite jarring when looking away from a 40"+ display.

And I'm not singling out the Wii U. I thought it was just as stupid when Killzone 3 on the PS3 implemented all sorts of motion controls to play to the unique controller but it was all incredibly forced and distracted from the game.

except you still end up with the duplicate pair of hands and a plastic device that doesn't look like a scanner acting like a scanner, and somehow you have one pair of hands with a gun and one pair of hands outside the gameworld with a scanner.

that's the thing with big screen tv's you are "in" the tv, you are in the world. when you pull out the pad controller, you need to look at something else outside of the gameworld, and it doesn't even look like it belongs in the gameworld.

you could draw parallels to driving, when driving you're not supposed to watch the speedometer, but watch the road, as looking at the speedo takes concentration away from the road and driving. hence why there's starting to experiment with HUD speedo's.

Still I think if thye're advertising the delux model for core gamers, they should have included a "pro" controller.

With Zombie U you keep getting messages on screen to tell you to look at the GamePad, which completely destroys immersion.There are definitely some interesting ideas but it really seems they're using it for the sake of it, rather than because it genuinely improves the gaming experience.

I think in the case on ZombiU, they were trying to add to the suspense by purposely getting you to look away from the main screen whilst the action was still going on as it doesn't pause the action, even if you do open up your inventory or are trying to pick a lock on a door, which adds an element of risk. So you've still got a full view of your game world on the main screen and can look behind you or infront of you, but you purposefully can't do that at the same time you're messing about with whatever on the gamepad. Ergo, you're meant to try and find a safe place before you actually use your gamepad screen for anything. In the case of a "thriller / horror" game that can add somewhat to the immersion / atmosphere of suspense, especially if you quickly glance up from messing with your inventory to see a zombie has managed to lumber right infront of your face :p It's not an idea that suits every game, but it theoretically adds something here.

One thing I'm not a fan of is developers insisting on adding motion controls to things that could be done with an analogue stick.

Skyrim also doesn't pause the game necessarily in the inventory management and allows you to see what's happening behind the transparent inventory screen. I'm not really seeing that argument :/

Skyrim also doesn't pause the game necessarily in the inventory management and allows you to see what's happening behind the transparent inventory screen. I'm not really seeing that argument :/

Yes, but that's on the same screen. The point of ZombiU was to get you to look AWAY from the main screen when you're working on inventory / lock picking / looting etc, so you can't concentrate on both incoming Zombies and what you needed to do at once - thereby attempting to heighten the risk / suspense / shock factor when you look up and you're about to get eaten by a bunch of goons who have turned up out of nowhere whilst you were messing with your inventory. (Also technically more "immersive", because that's how things would work in reality too, assuming a Zombie take over were ever to happen :p)

I think in the case on ZombiU, they were trying to add to the suspense by purposely getting you to look away from the main screen whilst the action was still going on as it doesn't pause the action, even if you do open up your inventory or are trying to pick a lock on a door, which adds an element of risk.

I appreciate that, though it is one of the launch titles and they will have been working closely with Nintendo. It breaks immersion more than it contributes to it. The only thing the GamePad is really good for is asymmetric gameplay, though only a small number of games are going in that direction and they require you to play with other players.

Yes, but that's on the same screen. The point of ZombiU was to get you to look AWAY from the main screen when you're working on inventory / lock picking / looting etc, so you can't concentrate on both incoming Zombies and what you needed to do at once - thereby attempting to heighten the risk / suspense / shock factor when you look up and you're about to get eaten by a bunch of goons who have turned up out of nowhere whilst you were messing with your inventory. (Also technically more "immersive", because that's how things would work in reality too, assuming a Zombie take over were ever to happen :p)

This guy gets it! Same thing with Aliens. If people actually WATCHED the damn movie, you would see that when they are using the motion tracker...THEY ARE LOOKING AT IT. Having a separate screen for the tracker is a brilliant idea.

but then you might as well just do a non transparent inventory screen, if I'm not entirely mistaken the old RE games did just that.

This guy gets it! Same thing with Aliens. If people actually WATCHED the damn movie, you would see that when they are using the motion tracker...THEY ARE LOOKING AT IT. Having a separate screen for the tracker is a brilliant idea.

How is it a better idea, then having a tracker in your marine's hand as it is in the movies ? also disabling your gun which is then holstered. addign to suspense.

I'm not seeing brilliance I'm seeing awkward, non immersive clumsy use of a gimmick just to say "hey look how cool this is, we're using a out of game scree for this stuff".

How is it a better idea, then having a tracker in your marine's hand as it is in the movies ? also disabling your gun which is then holstered. addign to suspense.

I'm not seeing brilliance I'm seeing awkward, non immersive clumsy use of a gimmick just to say "hey look how cool this is, we're using a out of game scree for this stuff".

How well did disabling the gun work in Doom 3 when you wanted to use a flash light? It was first thing that was modded and fixed because it sucked.

You obviously have a bug up your ass about the Wii-U. Maybe it's time you jogged on.

I'm sorry I though you wanted immersion, so you want immersion only as long as it doesn't make it dangerous or makes you take risks ?

being able to have both is the opposite of immersion. and a flashlight and the scanner isn't even comparable in that regard. since the point of the scanner is to warn you of danger. and when yo get big huge guns, the scanner is mounted on them anyway. how is that going to work on the WiiU. you'll have two scanners ? or it'll be the only version fo the game without a scanner on the big harness guns ?

I don't have a bug up my ass about it, I'll be buying one, I have issues with bad and/or gimmicky use of features. the pad can be great for certain uses cases. this is not one of them. good use cases are doing thing you can't otherwise do in game. like drawing tactics for madden. or something Nintendo demonstrated before with zelda on the DS, where the touch was used for drawing boomerang flight patterns.

Give me imaginative and innovative uses of the screen. not gimmicky crap that breaks immersion on what would otherwise be a good core game. this is the stuff that will drive core gamers away form the Wii and onto the 360 and PS3 if it's a forced option and you can't play it without it, and instead a proper on screen, in world scanner.

• Like 1

Sorry, not it doesn't make ANY sense. What would make sense if my character on the screen, put his weapon away, and held the tracker out in front of him as a 3D model. in this situation you can have the weapon out and watch the scanner at the same time. which was only possibly on the bigger guns with the tracker attached to the gun itself. which oh wait is also possible when it's done in game with the proper 3D models. AMAZING. and far more immersive and properly done.

The tracker does not look like a white plastic toy outside of the gameworld. in the geeky hands of a gamer that exists outside the gameworld. that is NOT immersive. that is taking you as far out of the gameworld as possible. and since the game is made for multiple platform. I'll bet they have the option to use in game trackers on the WiiU version as well, and that's what gamers are going to be using because it keeps eyes on the gameworld and is properly in game immersive. the tablet controller version will only be used to show of to friends, and the second they're out the door, you'll change back to the in game version.

and yes, Smartglass requires premium for watching rented content that requires premium or for multiplayer games :rolleyes:

I can understand your sentiment from one side, but I don't think it's right. One of the big problems with an FPS is lack of proprioception, so in that aspect an over the shoulder 3rd person view is actually more immersive, because you effectively have the field of view that you would actually have, and you know when you're close to a ledge or a wall that you'd normally be able to tell by feel. Immersion is sometimes about forgetting about all the little hassles that the medium makes for you. On the one hand Mirror's Edge is very immersive, on the other hand it constantly rips you out because you don't actually have any sense of feel (or smell). Really realistic graphics can also be immersive, but then the uncanny valley comes in and rips you out. If you've got the tracker on the Wii pad, you can just glance down to it and back up, and not worry about the controls getting in the way, or a slow animation of swapping the tracker out for your weapon while an Alien is leaping at you.

It's a system for little kids and housewives (for exercise). I don't think it was intended to be a hardcore competitor to the other big name consoles.

Resistive screens only need to be calibrated if you move the overlay layer from it's default position over the LCD. Otherwise it's perfectly calibrated in the factory, and isn't going to magically lose it's calibration - and that overlay layer isn't going to move unless you try to rip it out. And again, resistive screens with a stylus allow pixel perfect accuracy. With a capacitive screen, nearly nothing does unless you have a digitiser. It's a well known scientific fact that capacitive screens by design offer less accuracy than resistive, in exchange for better responsiveness.

If what you say were true, I wouldn't have had to calibrate every resistive touch screen PDA I ever had.

The controller also weights only 500g (for comparison, an Xbox 360 wired controller is 300g, and a wireless one with a good set of rechargeable batteries edges that to around the 400g mark), so it's quite light for what it is.

A Nexus 7 weighs 340g, that resistive screen certainly isn't helping it get any lighter, and a capacitive screen wouldn't make it heavier in any meaningful way.

I also don't know if you've ever seen a matte capacitive screen? People don't tend to make them. To be fair, I don't actually know why, but I assume there's some sort of technical or cost reason.

There's no technical or cost reason. Glossy just looks better in store, it makes the colours more vibrant. That's the only reason, they sell better to people who don't know any better. That, and Apple started doing it so everyone felt they needed to copy.

It also means the touchscreen is more rugged without glass. I could drop the controller on the floor many times (which, let's face it, is going to happen to a lot of these controllers), and not be worried about cracking glass, because instead of glass I have layers of durable plastic over a durable plastic screen coating.

The glass or plastic isn't going to be the issue, the fact that the screen is recessed into the controller is what will protect it from breaking. And if you do have something break, it's better that it's the glass than the LCD panel (which is what will break if you've got a resistive screen).

My main problem about the WiiU s that while they try to advertise it as a new core gamer platform, even on the deluxe model, I have to buy the core/standard controller(or what they call the pro controller) separately.

I don't see why you would need to. The tablet controller does everything you'd need it to - whether you like the wide grip would be a matter of preference.

It's a system for little kids and housewives (for exercise). I don't think it was intended to be a hardcore competitor to the other big name consoles.

What are you talking about this is not the Wii this is made for the hardcore crowed and has plenty of hardcore games coming to it in the launch window you are thinking all wrong

If what you say were true, I wouldn't have had to calibrate every resistive touch screen PDA I ever had.

A Nexus 7 weighs 340g, that resistive screen certainly isn't helping it get any lighter, and a capacitive screen wouldn't make it heavier in any meaningful way.

The glass or plastic isn't going to be the issue, the fact that the screen is recessed into the controller is what will protect it from breaking. And if you do have something break, it's better that it's the glass than the LCD panel (which is what will break if you've got a resistive screen).

Your old PDA's using old resistive teach screens? Tell me, when was the last time you ever saw anyone have to recalibrate their DS or 3DS, something with a more recent resistive touch screen? They don't have to be recalibrated unless they've been physically changed. You calibrate a resistive screen to choose where on the resistive layer matches upto where on the LCD. Unless your device is either poorly coded and decides it wants to change those values itself, or you physically move where over the LCD panel the resistive layer is placed, those points are never going to change during device usage. Ergo, especially with the resistive screens we have today, the calibration done in factory is all that's ever needed.

A Nexus 7 has a capacitive screen - and a panel of glass is still going to weight more than two plastic films. If you drop a controller, the inner LCD panel is less likely to shatter than glass - moreso because that has it's own protective layer coating underneath the two plastic resistive layers on top of it, which do a nice job of absorbing impact. Worse, if the glass breaks when a kid is playing with it, there's going to be angry parents about :p

• Like 1